Author Topic: SafeZone browser installed itself  (Read 157279 times)

Offline Avast Eagle

Re: SafeZone browser installed itself
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2016, 11:03:26 AM »
I agree with some of the posts here. My PC belongs to me not Avast. Avast has no right to install software on my PC unless I give Avast permission, which I have not. To think that they can do what they want is outrageous.

It is simply not on and I want the software removed.
Same here, at this rate im better off without an AV for what im using...
CCleaner doesn't find SafeZone browser to unninstall but gladly can be unninstalled on control panel/ programs/ Avast modify.

Avast please don't do this again -__-; otherwise i can only trust an AV much less...
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 11:22:56 AM by Ichise »

REDACTED

« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2016, 11:06:49 AM »
Hi everyone,

SafeZone has been one of the key features of the premium (paid) versions of Avast for years, and yes, we're now (for a limited time) making it available to a portion of our free users as well, to give it a bit more exposure and also, quite honestly, to accumulate as much feedback on it as possible. SafeZone is great for online transactions (e.g. shopping and banking), as it runs in its own sandbox and is able to shield a bunch of attacks - both local and network-based, but it can actually be used for casual browsing as well.

Give it a try and tell us what you think. Again, this has been one of the pillars of the premium versions, and we're now experimenting with it in the free version as well.

Thanks,
Vlk
I agree with the majority that automatic installation is not the appropriate way to provide users with this browser. 

However I am prepared to give Safezone a go - first impressions though are not entirely positive.  Firstly, the choice of search engines is limited and I don't see a way to add my preferred DuckDuckGo for example.  Secondly, I would like to clear my history automatically at the end of a session when I close and, as far as I can tell, there seems no easy way to do this.  Thirdly, although I am not one to add loads of extensions, there are a few I would like to add but cannot see an easy way to do this - for example I use the Lastpass password manager and my bank is fairly insistent that I use Trusteer Rapport.  I also use Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit with my present browsers.  (Unfortunately I have to keep Internet Explorer available just for accessing my ISP accounts/bills as the Adobe Flashplayer is required and Firefox, my preferred browser, doesn't allow Flashplayer).

So far I cannot see any distinct advantage in Safezone over my existing arrangements.

REDACTED

« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2016, 11:08:39 AM »
Okay Avast, We understand your concern why you installed SafeZone without notifying us. I guess people really need to read the EULA and stop skipping it?

But the problem is, Why can't you let us uninstall it? People have their own taste of which internet browser they would like to use and you won't stop us from using them.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2016, 11:28:17 AM »
You can uninstall it if you don't want it.
It is just a component that you can add/remove as you wish.

In general (to everyone) :
If you want to use software, do at least a little research before downloading/installing it.
Read the EULA, check the FAQ's, read (independent) reviews and such.
When installing, always use a custom installation (if it is offered ofcourse).
After installing, learn how to use it.
Learn what options/settings and such it has and what they do.

Offline avant-guvnor

« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2016, 12:31:37 PM »
Yes, maybe it's not an ethical move to install new apps on users's PCs, but it's not a virus, it's not something bad, and it's actually an addon to a program you already accepted to install.

You miss the point. Avast DOES NOT have the right to install software on my computer, without my permission.

Even more, a free program. All apps must be secure and help users, but we can't really complain about looks, a free and safe addon, and more.

It is irrelevant that the software is free. It does not follow that if Avast give me free software, then they have acquired rights to my property.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2016, 12:34:48 PM »
You can like it or not, but the fact is that you gave avast permission when you installed avast because by doing so you accepted the EULA.

Offline avant-guvnor

« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2016, 12:36:27 PM »
You can like it or not, but the fact is that you gave avast permission when you installed avast because by doing so you accepted the EULA.

I agreed to the terms and conditions, but I have since disabled the Automatic Program updates option. I assume this overrides the terms and conditions, otherwise what is the point of the option, unless to deceive the enduser.

REDACTED

« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2016, 12:40:18 PM »
I didn't miss a point. They can change their product how they like. They can add anything they consider and they have your accept (EULA) for that.
If you didn't pay, this is even more true. It's not like you purchased something that didn't work and you lost something.

If you accept what they did, you use it. If you don't, uninstall the browser or the whole software - but this is a bit too much I think. It's a great piece of software!
In the end it's not like they broke something. Many software out there install many components we don't need/want but we still use them.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2016, 12:43:53 PM »
Well said d4

Offline avant-guvnor

« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2016, 12:47:22 PM »
I didn't miss a point. They can change their product how they like. They can add anything they consider and they have your accept (EULA) for that.

See my previous responses to EULA and Automatic updates option. Are you saying that the Automatic updates option is effectively useless?

REDACTED

« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2016, 01:05:02 PM »
I'm glad it is a freebie, but in my opinion has been delivered in a bad way as some people might panic and think that Avast has been hijacked or has corrupted etc. A pop up when Avast has auto updated offering SafeZone with the option to accept the offer or turn it down would have been a better way.

Offline kanon86

« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2016, 01:19:03 PM »
It's not just safezone that was added, was it? Ever since the update this morning, avastsvc started asking for TCP connections it never has before. After investigating a bit, it looks like this is due to secureDNS being active (it wasn't part of the free version unless I'm mistaken). There isn't even an option to turn this feature off.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 01:29:44 PM by kanon86 »

Offline Bowdon

« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2016, 03:29:39 PM »
I like Avast, got it on 3 computers and have used it for years. But hiding behind a EULA isn't good form. Technically yes you do have the right. But surely this must be balanced with keeping your customers happy, especially since your looking for feedback on the product?

I'm sure people would be more positive about using the program instead of just seeing it appear on their computer. People who use Avast are aware of malware installing itself. So its logical that people would be suspicious about this program appearing from no where.

Online bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2016, 04:08:07 PM »
I personally don't understand what the complaint are all about. Avast was installed to keeping
you and your system safe. Avast added a feature that makes your banking and shopping more secure.
I'm actually disappointed that I wasn't one of those who received this added protection.  :(
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2016, 04:33:44 PM »
I personally don't understand what the complaint are all about. Avast was installed to keeping
you and your system safe. Avast added a feature that makes your banking and shopping more secure.
I'm actually disappointed that I wasn't one of those who received this added protection.  :(

Had I known, I could have save mine for you ;).

I believe the intention was good, let free users have the benefit of more secure shopping, banking (at no cost to them), but the delivery was awful. Had this been delivered as part of a normal program update (rather than in the background and no notification), it would probably have been better received.

That said, now is possibly a good time to consider the Program Update notification. Program Updates are set to Notify of the availability of an update, why not say what has changed (updated/included/removed). If there is too much information, why not give a link to a page with all of the details of that pending program update.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security