Author Topic: Avast using tremendous data traffic  (Read 3248 times)

REDACTED

Avast using tremendous data traffic
« on: September 11, 2016, 04:22:46 PM »
I have just realised that my Avast Mobile Sec. has just used 673 Mbytes data traffic in 10 days. This is huge ( i have 3 gigabytes a month data traffic...) and unacceptable and i dont understand what made it so much (previous 10 days was only 100 Mbytes). I just stopped the auto update when i dont use wifi but yesterday it still used 25 Mbytes. What is that? What does avast do in the backgroung?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Avast using tremendous data traffic
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2016, 04:50:47 PM »
The data traffic likely isn't caused by avast but by something you have running.
As avast acts like "a man in the middle" it might appear that it is avast while avast only scans the traffic and not causing it.

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2016, 05:45:01 PM »
My mobile service provider counts it in the used data flow so it is effectively the avast (if i just add every single data usage by the apps without the avast it is less than counted by the phone or the service provider).

Offline Ondra Cermak

• AMS
  • Avast team
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2016, 11:06:04 AM »
Hi Bulcsu,

what kind of phone, version of operating system, and version of Avast Mobile Security do you have? And did you do something out of the usual? Like disabling and enabling internet connection very often or installed some heavy game that makes the system kill our app? This might be some very unusual bug, we definitely don't aim to use that much data. On my phone I have 35 MB since the beginning of September.

Thanks

Ondra

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2016, 11:44:45 AM »
Uninstalling and reinstalling avast solved the problem,seems everything usual now. The only difference that i used during the high avast traffic was the gpsfix app.