Author Topic: WHY Avast SafeZone Browser is installed WITHOUT MY AUTORIZATION  (Read 17035 times)

REDACTED

i just notice that i have Avast SafeZone Browser on my desktop.... i dont know WHY the hell AVAST dont ask me before intall it........ this is for mi a REALLY SERIUS ISSUE for me....  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(.....
So i dont want it... icant unistall it... so i have to look another antivirus.... because now im unistalling avast.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: WHY Avast SafeZone Browser is installed WITHOUT MY AUTORIZATION
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2016, 10:46:12 PM »
It was installed with your permission.
Read the EULA.

Yes, I agree that it would have if avast told people upfront it was gonna install the SafeZone Browser.

Yes, you can remove it if you don't want it.

All av's that I have checked (over 20) have it in the EULA that they can install something without the users permission if they believe it is needed for safety of the system.

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2016, 12:13:54 AM »
Read the EULA.

Yes, I agree that it would have if avast told people upfront it was gonna install the SafeZone Browser.

Yes, you can remove it if you don't want it.

All av's that I have checked (over 20) have it in the EULA that they can install something without the users permission if they believe it is needed for safety of the system.
I find it VERY doubtful if it is NEEDED for the SAFETY of the system. I very much believe that the majority of at least semi-informed users and experts in this field would agree with me on this. Claiming otherwise is calling people stupid.

BTW. If it is needed, then why did the PAID customer NOT get it? Surely they would be the first to get it, should they not?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2016, 12:17:26 AM »
<snip>
BTW. If it is needed, then why did the PAID customer NOT get it? Surely they would be the first to get it, should they not?

They already have it as it is only in the Paid versions of avast - it is now being introduced into the free version.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2016, 12:42:07 AM »
Surely they would be the first to get it, should they not?
The users with a paid version of avast did get it first.

As extra info to what David said > https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=184577.msg1301349#msg1301349

Offline swegmike

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2016, 03:03:36 AM »
Ive been running the free avast for a few years now and this new unwanted safezone browser installed itself on windows xp sp3 home.  I tried running the thing without selecting anything on the browser and then exited. Then the taskbar, desktop programs and even the start menu shutdown or user logout won't work. It's locked up. I have to hit the power button to get control back. Even the seleting avast on the taskbar to get the menu popup won't work. 

I have 3 other well known browsers already installed and don't need another one particuarily this piece of junkk software.

I'm not happy that it was forced on me.
I'll need to find a solution or go with Microsofts anitvir only. It's not the best but at least I don't get unwanted programs.....
 :'(

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2016, 02:29:12 PM »
Got on my pc this morning and noticed that the Avast SafeZone Bowser was installed without my permission.  I don't want it so how can I uninstall it?

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2016, 02:51:08 PM »
Got on my pc this morning and noticed that the Avast SafeZone Bowser was installed without my permission.  I don't want it so how can I uninstall it?
See: https://www.avast.com/faq.php?article=AVKB96#artTitle
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2016, 03:05:26 PM »

Uninstall it in the same way you would uninstall any other avast module.

Control Panel > Programs & Features > Avast Antivirus > Change - from the new screen select Modify and uncheck the SafeZone Browser
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline windessy

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2016, 05:03:32 PM »
Read the EULA.

A have red the EULA, but do not remember anything like this. I searched it again - no luck.  Could you please clarify, where in EULA is a permission to install web browsers to my system?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2016, 05:46:57 PM »
Do a custom installation of Avast and you can uncheck it.
Or, if already installed, go to Control Panel > Programs & Features > Avast > Change > Change and uncheck it from there.
The best things in life are free.

REDACTED

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2016, 06:45:08 PM »
Thanks for the uninstallation instructions.  They worked perfectly.
Since the Avast SafeZone Browser wasn't listed as a separate product in the Add or Remove Programs screen (despite being in a separate program files folder, having a separate start menu entry, etc.), I had been unsuccessfully hunting around in the program files looking for an uninstall.exe program.

A month ago, I installed Avast with *only* the File Shield component.  I didn't want *anything* else.
I was pretty happy until this morning; I logged onto my computer to find that I suddenly had a new web browser program installed.  No prompting or anything.

I understand that pretty much all software has a EULA that says "we can do whatever we want our program on your computer and we are not responsible for anything bad that happens", but that doesn't change the fact that automatically installing additional, potentially unwanted programs after the installation phase *without even asking* is only going to make people angry.

A lot of antimalware programs (like bitdefender) treat PUAs / PUPs (potentially unwanted applications / potentially unwanted programs) as malware.  Antimalware programs shouldn't install malware!

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2016, 08:05:10 PM »
I think I'll keep it for awhile.  Will the free user's have it only for a certain amount of time?

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2016, 12:19:59 PM »
I think I'll keep it for awhile.  Will the free user's have it only for a certain amount of time?

I didn't like it so uninstalled it last evening.