Author Topic: Starting to have doubts about avast  (Read 5540 times)

Fin_ and_amased

Starting to have doubts about avast
« on: November 30, 2003, 09:18:00 PM »
Hve used them all, so far have been hapy with avast, is it the incresed viral activity or is it me,  avast is is one of the AV programs i use and it does report plenty, more than say norman or fsecure but,, at the rate im trashing computers i thinkli best be ofline, and i di use firewaals, presently on 4 putters avast the main AV and norton, fsecure, zone  and kerio as firewalls, i gues i must invest in hardware firewalls as thease 4 dont work 100% wichway ever configured, eaven disable all trafik

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:Starting to have doubts about avast
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2003, 11:27:26 PM »
Hve used them all, so far have been hapy with avast, is it the incresed viral activity or is it me,  avast is is one of the AV programs i use and it does report plenty, more than say norman or fsecure but,, at the rate im trashing computers i thinkli best be ofline, and i di use firewaals, presently on 4 putters avast the main AV and norton, fsecure, zone  and kerio as firewalls, i gues i must invest in hardware firewalls as thease 4 dont work 100% wichway ever configured, eaven disable all trafik

Could you rephrase?
Do you want to use avast! with NAV (Norton Antivirus)?
Do you want to use the 4 firewalls simultaneously?

If you want a suggestion, try ZoneAlarm or Sygate Personal Firewall for free.
The new version 4 of Kerio is a bloatware... buggy... The old one was good (version 2).
The best things in life are free.

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2003, 02:15:30 AM »
i think he is sying he has 4 computers. Hardware Firewalls are expensive and there the same as software firewalls (they use the same technology)  try BlackICE or like   Technical said ZA.
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2003, 03:01:46 AM »
Anyone know the prices of hardware firewalls? ISS has one for $1299 with the BlackICE AND RealSecure engines
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

notmyown

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2003, 03:56:09 AM »
I'll take it!

But seriously, what type of volume would you want the firewall to be handling?

I'll tell you, my school uses a SonicWALL ( www.sonicwall.com - they're very original there ) firewall. Yeah - school. Whatever. All you grown-ups are intimiating me.

Fin_ and_amased

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2003, 11:36:31 AM »
Thank you for the replyes, I use Avast as me firewaal of choise, the othere ones i use when they come with a new computer with a 30 to 90 day trial. yes it is 4 computers i run.
Thank you on the info firewalls, i thought thtat kerio was good but i have but i am sertain you right about the prewious wersion being btter, the new one comes preconfigured, i shal try blak ice,, i nead to have some unity with all programs to to keap things simple, as im spending almost a hour a day just having thease muchines runing up to par. i thought hardware firewalls was the best choise, ... all want is to be able to blok everything incoming and outcoming wich is not directly related to programs we use ports closed too, i have heard about black ice. Thanks again and lGongratulations to Avast and the team behind it for geting so good results with the wiral bloking tests.  100%.

Thanks Paul.

beck

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2003, 10:28:24 PM »
Perhaps if you just want to block traffic and ports you should purchase a router with NAT firewall. In the USA they are not very expensive.