Author Topic: Avast SafeZone Brozer on my Desktop !?.  (Read 8797 times)

REDACTED

Avast SafeZone Brozer on my Desktop !?.
« on: March 23, 2016, 11:07:18 AM »
Hello Avast and thanks for a great software in Avast Antivirus.But why did i found a SafeZone Browser on my desktop when i never got any questions about downloading this !?.Thats why i wonder why you let some of your software download other software without ever asking !?.Not really nice.

REDACTED

Re: Avast SafeZone Brozer on my Desktop !?.
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2016, 11:23:58 AM »
I was recently reading in another post that Avast doesnt have to ask the user before they dowload any of these software.If thats the case i probably have to say goodbye to Avast and thats really sad for sure.Hope i am not right about this !?.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2016, 12:25:40 PM »
https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=184616.0;topicseen

Yes it is true.
avas doesn't have to ask you.
You gave permission for it when you installed avast.

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2016, 03:52:19 PM »
Sad to hear that.Discussed this with a friend some hours ago who wasnt surprised by Avast new strategy and i have to say that its really sad that after many years use of your antivirus i now have delete your software permanently.Thanks for this time Avast and goodbye.Maybe we see each other again in the future.Who knows.  :(

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2016, 03:56:23 PM »
It is not a new strategy at all.
When I started with avast version 4 it was already in the EULA.

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2016, 04:08:20 PM »
https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=184616.0;topicseen

Yes it is true.
avas doesn't have to ask you.
You gave permission for it when you installed avast.

I don't think so. Can you cite the right section from the EULA?
All I could found was this part:

3. Upgrades and Updates

Upgrades and updates of the Software shall be provided to you by AVAST as long as and to the extent in which AVAST in its exclusive discretion makes such upgrades and updates available to the users of the free version of the Software.
But this means not, they are allowed to install complete new and independent working software like a complete browser without customers permission.  At least it is not evident.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 04:09:51 PM by Artabanos »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2016, 04:39:34 PM »
It isn't a conventional browser in the same way as Firefox, Opera, Chrome, etc.

This is a custom browser (based on chromium I believe), which is designed to operate in a SafeZone to prevent data capture during tasks like banking or shopping. It isn't their to replace your existing, default browser.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Aditza

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2016, 04:46:01 PM »
This is a custom browser (based on chromium I believe), which is designed to operate in a SafeZone to prevent data capture during tasks like banking or shopping. It isn't their to replace your existing, default browser.

Google Chrome supports hardware-based security tokens (FIDO U2F).... SafeZone has dropped hardware U2F security token support from their fork of Chromium. How is that safer? it's not.

REDACTED

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2016, 10:27:31 PM »
It is not a new strategy at all.
When I started with avast version 4 it was already in the EULA.
I have been with avast for very close to a decade and your defense of them because "it was already in the EULA" is really sad. That you would 1) blame the users for Avast's bad actions and 2) completely ignore that this is NOT a reasonable term for a EULA.

Honestly Avast should be apologizing profusely and instead we can see that they have chosen to just blame the users who didnt ask for this, had no say in this, were not given any advanced notice, and who just DONT WANT THIS. Thanks for making it more clear that leaving Avast for greener pastures is truly the answer.

We have seen the true colors of Avast that it tries to keep hidden behind the orange theme. Please stop with this disgusting blaming of the users who are upset.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2016, 11:01:53 PM »
It is not my defense nor am I defending avast.
I only state a fact.

1]
I don't blame the users for things avast does.

2]
It is a very reasonable term.
Check the terms of other av vendors and major software companies and you will see that they have the same in them.

Users agree with the terms/license when installing software.
If they don't read them before installing the software, it is their own "fault".

If you buy a second hand car and the add clearly says "this car has no engine", don't complain afterwards that it has no engine ;)

REDACTED

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2016, 11:09:12 PM »
It is a very reasonable term.
Check the terms of other av vendors and major software companies and you will see that they have the same in them.

Users agree with the terms/license when installing software.
If they don't read them before installing the software, it is their own "fault".

If you buy a second hand car and the add clearly says "this car has no engine", don't complain afterwards that it has no engine ;)
Can you cite that part of the EULA that lets them install a fork of chromium onto my computer without any prompting please? I never agreed to that. If its in the EULA that they can modify users computers in such a way then truly they are up to no good as virus protection. This goes without mentioning that their fork of chromium is likely insecure. Will you blame the users for when someone finds a zeroday in SafeZone?

Offline Tomaso

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2016, 11:21:29 PM »
This just happened on my system too..
Completely out ouf the blue, and without my permission, 'Avast SafeZone Browser' had installed itself automatically!
It had placed this shortcut on my desktop:
C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\SZBrowser\launcher.exe
..and without any warning, this process tried to connect to the internet!!:
C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\SZBrowser\setup\safezone_windows-release-i386.exe

For all you guys that wants to get rid of this thing:
Just run avast!'s uninstaller from 'Control Panel' > 'Programs and Features'..
Click on 'Modify', uncheck the unwanted component(s), then click on 'Change'.

What the hell are you guys at avast! up to these days!?..
Your software is starting to behave more and more like the malware that it's supposed to protect us against!! >:(

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2016, 11:27:37 PM »
Tomaso,
as has been explained many times already, it happened with your permission.

Offline Tomaso

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2016, 11:41:26 PM »
as has been explained many times already, it happened with your permission.

To quote tinstaafl here:
https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=179967.msg1274590#msg1274590
- Hiding behind a EULA does not make it right!!
Almost nobody reads those things, and software developers knows it!
To automatically install software on someone's computers like this is NOT considered acceptable bahaviour!!

REDACTED

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2016, 01:05:46 AM »
It is not my defense nor am I defending avast.
I only state a fact.

Eddy, I completely disagree here. In the world outside of your posts, an interpretation of the wording in an ELUA is considered opinion, NOT fact. You are stating opinion. No matter how assertive you are, it's your opinion and nothing more.