Author Topic: SafeZone browser is now available for all Avast users  (Read 95803 times)

REDACTED

Re: SafeZone browser is now available for all Avast users
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2016, 06:10:28 PM »
Goodmorning,

I too woke up to an ICON for the SafeZone browser installed on my laptop today. It self-installed at 3:53am.

Im not happy that it did this and maybe should be more appreciative, but it's the principle of the matter. I've been an Avast user for
10 yrs now.

Rgds,
Sherri

Same here. I don't like this "silent install" at all.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2016, 06:37:55 PM »
DavidR do you use Safezone Browser now?

No, I did a clean installation after the beta testing (some time ago) was over.

Since this safezone update (free upgrade) was pushed to the avast free installation - I removed it. I only install what I have a need for and I have no need outside of what I already have installed already.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline nana3

« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2016, 06:39:29 PM »
Today past 12 at night all of a sudden I saw Avast SafeZone shortcut on my PC and it shocked the hell out of me and was very angry that Avast would install this without my consent.   >:( >:(  I consider this overstepping the boundaries and removed it immediately!  I'm still very angry about it and lost my trust in Avast! 

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2016, 08:32:25 PM »
I had SafeZone option yesterday when I was installing avast!. Decided not to install it back then. Want to do it now, SafeZone browser not even listed when I used the "Modify" installation option. Ugh?
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

REDACTED

« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2016, 08:37:11 PM »
It happened with the users permission.
https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=184616.0

Tons of complaint topics to see you don't have to download/install it, avast did it automatically and people didn't like that one little bit.

I do not understand Eddy's assertion that it can't happen. On all four of my computers running Avast Free, this morning I found a Desktop shortcut to SafeZone. Not particularly a problem and easily uninstalled if you don't want it, but it certainly did not happen "with user's permission".

By the way, I would have preferred a direct response, but Eddy's post has no 'quote' option. Why is that?

It has a Quote option in it, I just checked, it is the same with all other posts; my guess, some sort of page layout hiccup as users can't remove forum layout options.

Thanks. At the time, it was the only post without a 'quote' option, and believe me I checked ten times over because I thought it was so odd. However, I've since needed to restart computer and now it has mysteriously appeared. Ahh.. the wonders of the internet!

REDACTED

« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2016, 10:23:48 PM »
Screw you Avast and your installing an unwanted program on my PC without asking permission or even leaving a notification!
I've used Avast for close to a decade now. But no more. This move has caused Avast to lose all of my trust. That's not a good thing coming from an anti-virus company. Because of your stupidity I will now be receiving my anti-virus services from a reputable company since you no longer are one. I actually feel violated. I feel like someone broke into my house, rummaged through all my belongings and then left a huge steaming pile of shit on my floor that I now have to get rid of. I'm seriously wondering if what you did may even be illegal.
There is even some circumstantial proof that you knew it was wrong to do this by that fact that the updates for this installation occurred in the early morning hours when everyone is asleep and won't notice. Shame on you Avast.

REDACTED

« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2016, 10:33:34 PM »
xlblackopslx,

as has been explained numerous of times already..
You did gave permission.
By installing avast you agreed to the license/terms.
Eddy, please stop with this disrespectful crap. Blaming people who didnt ask for this to be added to their system and is OBVIOUSLY beyond any reasonable interpretation of the EULA you are only making the situation worse.

REDACTED

« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2016, 11:30:25 PM »
Well, looks like it's time to uninstall from all my machines.  I want an ANTIVIRUS solution, not a browser/password/software/etc.. piece of junk.

I installed the free antivirus because that's all I wanted.  Now to be opted in instead of letting the user make the decision to install it or not reeks of being shady. 

Eddy, you can spout all you want about the EULA and that and how we 'agreed' to it when we installed it, but the truth of the matter is when a company decides to install more than what you expect and even 'silent' install items without the user's consent .. that borders on being malware at that point.  I am the one who controls my computer.  I am the one who decides.  They can 'ask' if I'd like it installed, but to force it on those who didn't ask is shady no matter how you look at it.

Offline Rundvleeskroket

• Poster
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2016, 11:54:13 PM »
My firewall just asked me if safezone_windows-release-i386.exe could connect to the internet. I denied it. And then uninstalled the Safezone Browser via the Windows control panel.

I did not ask for this piece of software. I wasn't asked if I would like to download it, and I certainly was not asked if I would like to run an unknown executable on my machine. All this happened without my consent. This is behaviour I would expect from malware, not my AV-software!!

Providing me with free AV does not grant you permission to install other software without express approval. It is simply a breach of trust between Avast and me to do so. And if I can't trust my AV to behave, it is time to move on.

Please don't ever try to pull a stunt like this again.

Offline Rundvleeskroket

• Poster
« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2016, 12:12:54 AM »
Also: It is a mentality problem to think this kind of thing is acceptable, despite what the fine print may say Avast is allowed to do to a user's machine. You don't just install crap without asking. You give the option, and if a user accepts, then and only then you start downloading executables and running them.

Just a short while ago I had to figure out why my machine BSOD'd, and that too was Avast installing stuff without asking and without proper testing (HW-assisted Virtualization). What the hell?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 12:14:42 AM by Rundvleeskroket »

REDACTED

« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2016, 12:24:00 AM »
Also: It is a mentality problem to think this kind of thing is acceptable, despite what the fine print may say Avast is allowed to do to a user's machine. You don't just install crap without asking. You give the option, and if a user accepts, then and only then you start downloading executables and running them.

Just a short while ago I had to figure out why my machine BSOD'd, and that too was Avast installing stuff without asking and without proper testing (HW-assisted Virtualization). What the hell?

Well, at least you didn't get the dropbox client installed with no notification like I did when using the stub installer.  :-\

REDACTED

« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2016, 03:54:33 AM »
How do I use the Video Downloader? :O

I think if you hover the cursor over a video you get an option to download. I haven't tried this yet, but it looks like a useful function.

REDACTED

« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2016, 05:07:48 AM »
Lame excuses about "allowed by EULA acceptance" aside, this is the type of thing that gives companies, especially security based companies, a bad reputation. Very Microsoft-ish. As in Windows 10 "forced" upgrades. I am sure you know the ill will that approach has garnered Microsoft.

IMO this type implementation is a VERY poor decision. One that has already damaged your brand and will continue to damage it so long as your company has the mindset that "sneak" installs are ok.

It's not about whether you had permission or not, it's about doing things the right way. And using sneak installs is definitely not doing things the right way.

REDACTED

« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2016, 10:08:50 AM »
While I appreciate the sentiment of you offering what was a paid product to free users, I wish you asked me first before installing something on my PC. I wanted the option of accepting or declining it myself. Is this how an anti-virus program is supposed to operate? Installing software without its user's permission. Yes, I've read all the posts about this was within the EULA but this was still a silent install. Please do not do this again.

REDACTED

« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2016, 01:33:32 PM »
xlblackopslx,

as has been explained numerous of times already..
You did gave permission.
By installing avast you agreed to the license/terms.

Can you point me to the specific clause of the EULA where we as users stated that Avast is allowed to push additional modules onto users? Because I read it and can't find a single word to that effect. The closest is that Avast "provides upgrades" and "makes upgrades available", but does not give any right to install anything without the user's consent.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 01:37:15 PM by JezW »