Author Topic: In addition to questions about logging practice.  (Read 4431 times)

REDACTED

In addition to questions about logging practice.
« on: March 24, 2016, 03:54:45 AM »
My main concern is to prevent my IP-addresses from being visible to the rest of the Internet, millions of people have signed up to a VPN service. Am I right to say part of the reason of getting a VPN is allows users to use the Internet anonymously and prevent snooping?

Unfortunately, not all VPN services are as anonymous as they claim, as several incidents have shown in the past.

About other privacy sensitive policies, so prospective users like me can make an informed decision. Now the VPN services have become an important tool to counter the growing threat of Internet surveillance, but unfortunately not all VPNs are as anonymous as one might hope. In fact, some VPN services log users' IP-addresses and other private info for months. To find out how anonymous VPNs really are,  i even asked the leading providers about their logging practices and other privacy sensitive policies. I have list out a few questions which hopefully you'll be able reply accordingly

1. Do you keep ANY logs which would allow you to match an IP-address and a time stamp to a user of your service? If so, exactly what information do you hold and for how long?

2. Under what jurisdiction(s) does your company operate?

3. What tools are used to monitor and mitigate abuse of your service?

4. Do you use any external email providers (e.g. Google Apps) or support tools ( e.g Live support, Zendesk) that hold information provided by users?

5. In the event you receive a DMCA takedown notice or European equivalent, how are these handled?

6. What steps are taken when a valid court order requires your company to identify an active user of your service? Has this ever happened?

7. Does your company have a warrant canary or a similar solution to alert customers to gag orders?

8. Is BitTorrent and other file-sharing traffic allowed on all servers? If not, why?

9. Which payment systems do you use and how are these linked to individual user accounts?

10. What is the most secure VPN connection and encryption algorithm you would recommend to your users? Do you provide tools such as “kill switches” if a connection drops and DNS leak protection?

11. Do you use your own DNS servers? (if not, which servers do you use?)

12. Do you have physical control over your VPN servers and network or are they outsourced and hosted by a third party (if so, which ones)? Where are your servers located?