Author Topic: Very slow  (Read 5625 times)

REDACTED

Very slow
« on: March 30, 2016, 05:12:00 PM »
Just purchased Secureline. Wish I'd read the lousy reviews first. My normal download speed is around 35 mbs. With Secureline connected to London, Paris or Amserdam I get around 2.5 mbs. I live in UK. What a waste of money.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Very slow
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2016, 05:37:18 PM »
How did you test the speed ?

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2016, 06:24:39 PM »
Just purchased Secureline. Wish I'd read the lousy reviews first. My normal download speed is around 35 mbs. With Secureline connected to London, Paris or Amserdam I get around 2.5 mbs. I live in UK. What a waste of money.

You could also read the information here:https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=179251.15

NOTE: Post #21 is of specific interest.

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2016, 12:17:21 AM »
Tested speed with OOkla speed test. Further info- Also installed this on Android tablet and dont have this problem.

Offline Davidek

• Avast team
  • Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2016, 03:12:35 PM »
Hi wudbskibum2,

It may not help much, but we are currently looking at ways to improve the download speeds for users.  We understand that this is a crucial user experience aspect of the service and we don't take it lightly.  Using  a VPN will always slow the speed down somewhat, but your frustration is understandable.

If you are unsatisfied with the performance, you do have a 30-day money back guarantee

Best regards,

Davidek

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2016, 04:41:14 PM »
Maybe change VPN location to somewhere closer to you? Also maybe your network connection could be the problem or part of it.

Offline Davidek

• Avast team
  • Poster
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2016, 07:32:08 AM »
Hi,

We just made some changes to OpenVPN so download speeds (Windows/Android) should be noticeably better.  Please give it a try and share your feedback.

Many thanks,

Davidek

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2016, 08:23:11 AM »
Tornado >
London, Paris or Amserdam I get around 2.5 mbs. I live in UK
Only thing closer is Ireland and there is no vpn server from avast there.

REDACTED

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2016, 09:32:49 PM »
I just installed a demo of SecureLine. Using speedtest.net I get a download speed of 20mb without SecureLink about 6mb when it's connected. I'm near Denver and it's connecting in Salt Lake as the closest. Needless to say, this isn't going to be acceptable.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2016, 10:19:27 PM »
Distance nowadays isn't saying much about the speed you (can) get.
A server further away can give a better speed than one close to you that is very busy.

REDACTED

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2016, 11:56:07 PM »
tried Chicago, even slower

Offline Davidek

• Avast team
  • Poster
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2016, 11:35:22 AM »
Hi poobah,

Using any VPN is going to slow down your connection, it's an unavoidable part of any VPN service.  However, it doesn't mean we just blankly accept the situation.  We are always looking for ways to improve overall network performance so users get the best experience possible.  Last month, we made some changes that improved the network performance quite a bit (2x faster downloads) And we are looking into ways to further improve.

Probably not exactly the answer you are looking for but wanted to provide some background info.

Best regards,

Davidek