Author Topic: Question on multi-versions in VRDB  (Read 3343 times)

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Question on multi-versions in VRDB
« on: January 04, 2006, 06:53:37 PM »
So far, knock wood, I've never had to do anything with the VRDB except let it periodically update itself.

I do understand that, if available, it keeps a few versions back -- "versions" presumably referring to successive VRDB's, rather than changes in the program itself.

If an exe itself has been updated between VRDB's, can repairing to an older version cause possible problems in the Registry (I'm on XP home)?  Or does the later VRDB treat the update as essentially a whole new app and treat the older version as no longer available?
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Question on multi-versions in VRDB
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2006, 09:39:49 PM »
Mike, I'm not sure but VRDB stores the last 'three' versions of the executables just to try to restore the last clean one. Not all the file is stored, just some checks and info. I don't think it will be possible to 'restore' the file...
Unless this particulary file get infected...
But what Registry problem do you have?
The best things in life are free.

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2006, 11:24:30 PM »
Hi Tech,

No registry problems currently, at least not related to avast.  My IE-6 is now nearly unusable (or at least its Favorites are) thanks to a recent registry "cleanup", but that's a whole 'nother story -- thank heaven Firefox is my default, and IE seems to work just fine except for Favorites.
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2006, 12:54:34 AM »
IE seems to work just fine except for Favorites.
Why don't you take a look into Tweak UI and check if the Favorites folder is set correctly, if you want another folder for them (customized), etc.
http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_description/0,fid,2803,RSS,RSS,00.asp
http://www.microsoft.com/ntworkstation/downloads/PowerToys/Networking/NTTweakUI.asp
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2006, 02:30:28 AM »
We've kinda wandered off-topic, Tech, but I do appreciate your trying to help.

Favorites folder is right where it should be (under Docs & Settings/Michael/), but anything in there (or in Favorites menu) simply points to the folder item, not to a URL.  Even "Add to favorites" while on a site simply adds a new entry there with the same characteristics.

I can browse just fine if I can copy the addy into the address bar, but of course some addys are fairly complex.  So I strongly suspect the problem's in the registry, since my reg cleaner (I won't name it) is no longer as safe and conservative as it was in earlier versions, when I'd gotten lulled into using it without making backups.

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2006, 07:59:25 PM »
Back to topic -- next time someone does a repair using the VRDB, and there are multiple "versions" to choose from, would they be kind enough to post a screen-shot of how the choices are presented, i.e. what that particular screen looks like?  Thanks and best.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2006, 09:22:34 PM »
Back to topic -- next time someone does a repair using the VRDB, and there are multiple "versions" to choose from, would they be kind enough to post a screen-shot of how the choices are presented, i.e. what that particular screen looks like?  Thanks and best.
Mike, there isn't a window, there aren't choices... All that happens is avast! (Cleaner utility or internal core) trying to repair an executable file to an old, clean, situation. It will take the newest clean version available, just that...  :-[

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2006, 11:52:31 PM »
Thanks, Tech, guess I misread and/or misunderstood the info in Help.  I'd gotten the impression that if there were 2 or 3 available, avast asked you which one to use.