Author Topic: "Special" Offers  (Read 2581 times)

REDACTED

"Special" Offers
« on: March 31, 2016, 09:30:24 PM »
I've been a long-time Avast! user, some paid, others using the free version. I use the free version on my Mac, and suddenly Avast won't stop spamming me with this 50% off offer that pops up every day or two. It's been going on for weeks now! I don't want the offer, and I don't understand why Avast! won't stop bothering me with this nagging popup. Seriously, it's enough to get me to switch to a less disrespectful AV option.

Does anyone know how to turn this stupid thing off? Because I'm definitely dropping Avast! if the cost for the free version is constant nagging popups. It's no better than spamware at this point, which puts Avast into the 'bad guy" column, IMHO

REDACTED

Re: "Special" Offers
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2016, 09:43:27 PM »
I just saw another person who was criticised for a similar post, so to deflect any "bitching about it here won't help" responses:

My wife works as a community manager for a major game developer. Part of what the community managers have done in nearly all the places she's worked is compile a list of complaints in the forums. So let me be clear: I don't care what others on this forum think about my post (unless you have a solution for the FREE version of the software). This post is intended to do two things:

1) Find a solution for the FREE version of the software (and yes, I also have PAID versions)
2) Let Avast know that their new marketing efforts in their FREE versions are a serious turnoff to me, a long time and paying customer

This post is NOT designed to discuss the merits of this marketing or how other people feel about it. As such, you can register your displeasure with my post or my attitude, but I will not be responding to non-helpful posts (posts that don't solve the problem) unless they're responses from Avast! community managers.

Thank you for understanding.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2016, 10:56:14 PM »

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2016, 05:33:57 PM »
If I may intrude here, my problem is similar to this one and I do hope I'll find here a solution?

I have Dell desktop, win10, WLMail, Firefox browser.  The problem:

Avast offered a Special of $19.99 protection of some kind.  I took it but their PayPal didn't work, so I used my visa card but when I wanted to copy the number into the form, it wouldn't take it.  That is, it wouldn't paste it into it (no, nothing wrong with my mouse or computer as I tried it in other sites).  I don't have my card with me these days so I copied it from my email where I had typed it originally to have it handy.  So it's too difficult to, again, having to type it in.  And here comes the similarity with Aaron's claim:

There's nothing more annoying than not having a way to report problems that can be solved easily at the moment, especially a simple problem and have avast! repeatedly popup demanding to complete the shopping cart and still not offering a way to explain why I didn't complete it! 

SO ANNOYING that, like Aaron, I can always find a wonderful, even free, AV with more facility to communicate with them.  But I hope someone here could suggest something?

In resuming, I need to know why PayPal doesn't work and why it won't take to copy/paste my visa card number into the form.

Thanks so much for any help!    :o)

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2016, 05:41:34 PM »
There's nothing more annoying than not having a way to report problem
Guess you haven't looked at the website.
Submit a ticket :
https://www.avast.com > contact
or
https://support.avast.com
and have avast! repeatedly popup demanding to complete the shopping cart and still not offering a way to explain why I didn't complete it!
As already have been explained in other threads, it will disappear after a day or two.