Author Topic: ZoneAlarm incompatibility  (Read 25771 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: ZoneAlarm incompatibility
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2006, 06:02:43 PM »
If someone has answered 'Yes' to the compatibility question, regardless of if they have ZA Pro/free or not the line ZoneAlarmCompatibility=1 will be inserted, as confirmed by Mew who has ZA free http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=18499.msg191096#msg191096. So the default value can't be 1 because the answer Yes resulted in the ZoneAlarmCompatibility=1 line entry.

Since we can assume by doing nothing to the avast4.ini, e.g. not inserting ZoneAlarmCompatibility=0 the transparent proxy will still work anyway, so in Mew's case deleting the ZoneAlarmCompatibility=1 would enable the transparent proxy, as would changing the value to 0.

Quote from: Mew
but I thought that by clicking "no", I should have ZoneAlarmCompatibility=0 or am I wrong
This is now perhaps as clear as mud for Mew, but by answering 'No' in the first place there would be no need for an entry in the avast4.ini as the transparent proxy is on by default. That is why the deletion of the ZoneAlarmCompatibility=1 entry is better than changing the value to =0 effectively confirming avast's transparent proxy default action.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Mew

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2006, 06:19:48 PM »
Ok thank you very much David and Tech for your explanations ! I now better understand.

So I will delete this line "ZoneAlarmCompatibility=1" and it will be as if I answered "No". Can you confirm this Tech ?

When someone installs both programs and click "No", there is no such line inserted ?

Mew

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2006, 06:39:23 PM »
If you are right David we have :

0 (default) : transparent proxy enabled
1 : transparent proxy disabled

and Tech you are saying the contrary here :

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=1647.msg15960#msg15960

Set WebShield transparent proxy mode with ZoneAlarm firewall. Set 0 to turn off the transparent proxy mode when the cookie blocking features in ZoneAlarm is being used. WebShield should be restarted (or whole computer in case of Win98).

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2006, 07:23:19 PM »
Tech you are saying the contrary here
This is what bottherrs me... couldn't Alwil corrected me a long time ago?
Why do they let incorrect post sharing incorrect information here?  :(
The best things in life are free.

Mew

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2006, 07:35:44 PM »
Tech, David, or the others, what do you have in your avast4.ini file ?

If you use something else than ZoneAlarm, do you have this line ZoneAlarmCompatibility=X ?

For people using ZA, it would be interesting to know the answer you gave "yes" or "no" and the number ZoneAlarmCompatibility=0 or ZoneAlarmCompatibility=1

Thanks

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2006, 07:40:56 PM »
Tech, David, or the others, what do you have in your avast4.ini file ?
ZoneAlarmCompatibility=0  ::)
Indeed I never had ZoneAlarm in this computer... I'll give reason to David arguments... I'm wrong...
The default seems to be ZoneAlarmCompatibility=0

Mew

« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2006, 07:52:59 PM »
If you've never installed ZA and never changed anything in the .ini file it seems that 0 is the default value yes.

In order to be sure the transparent proxy is enabled I will change to ZoneAlarmCompatibility=0. Is it any way to see in Avast if it's enabled ?

It happens to everybody to make mistakes ;-) I believe you can change the topic "settings" in your signature.

Mew

« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2006, 08:02:08 PM »
Last questions : is it the only line to modify ? Nothing before and nothing after ?

Have I to stop Avast during the modification and how ?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2006, 08:17:39 PM »
Is it any way to see in Avast if it's enabled ?
Just browse... if you can and the counter increases in the WebShield provider status (left click the 'a' blue icon and click 'Details', if needed).

I believe you can change the topic "settings" in your signature.
I want Alwil official confirmation before...

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2006, 09:20:11 PM »
Well I have never had ZA free on this system (outpost free then Outpost Pro) since I have had avast and it is only a relatively recent check in avast's install routine, so there is no ZoneAlarmCompatibility=0 entry in my avast4.ini

@ Mew
That is the only line that needs to be modified. You can edit the avast4.ini at any time but in this case for it to be effective you might need to restart avast or reboot.

To help clarify this whole ZoneAlarmCompatibility issue as Tech suggests (before making the changes), you could confirm at present with ZoneAlarmCompatibility=1 entry in avast4.ini that the web shield doesn't monitor your browser.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Mew

« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2006, 09:40:34 PM »
With ZoneAlarmCompatibility=1, the webshield didn't monitor my browser. The number of tests stayed at 0.
With ZoneAlarmCompatibility=0, all the pages I surf are monitored ! The number of tests increases.
You were right David, thank you very much !

I don't know if I have to delete this line or not. For Tech who didn't install ZA, there is this line (ZoneAlarmCompatibility=0) in the .ini, whereas you don't have it...

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2006, 11:51:51 PM »
Your welcome, thanks for the feed back.

Personally I would delete it, but if it is working on =0, then the old addage "if it isn't broken don't fix it" works for me ;D

Happy-Dude

« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2006, 11:59:46 PM »
Wait, so if someone answered yes to the confirmation box, they correct it by doing something with the proxy settings ?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2006, 12:13:29 AM »
We are taking about editing avast4.ini to correct the error and not changing proxy settings as such. By editing the avast4.ini file and either deleting the line ZoneAlarmCompatibility=1 or changing the =1 to =0 tells avast to use the transparent proxy for web shield or not depending on the value =0 (use it) or =1 (don't use it).

avast is a very configurable AV and aside from the avast GUI settings there are ones that can be changed using the ini file.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2006, 12:53:23 AM »
[I want Alwil official confirmation before...

Igor  :)