Author Topic: 64 bit PC "mandatory" update...not happy  (Read 3531 times)

REDACTED

64 bit PC "mandatory" update...not happy
« on: April 02, 2016, 06:25:54 AM »
My wife alerts me her computer has a problem after this new program update (and don't ask me what it is...I've already been up the stairs more than I can normally do in one day). Looks like a FireFox issue...untrusted certificate....no way around it for FaceBook, had a workaround for Google. Spent some considerable time...and it's the new Avast update. I disabled about half of it I think to get it to allow https addresses (like, oh, google and FaceBook).
Is this just the new program with growing pains (like it also enabled the Avast signature on e-mails..which I had "off" and now is "off" again) that will be fixed with updates, or do I change AV programs?
Certainly did not make it easy to find and fix...none of the built-in tutorials seemed to even know what I was talking about.
She has FF 41, as I finally stopped the silly updates a while back. I have 25 on this computer, but no Avast, 12.0 on another with Avast, no problems.
Is it just 41 interfacing with the latest Avast or what?
Why would the new program kill access to https websites?
Thanks

REDACTED

Re: 64 bit PC "mandatory" update...not happy
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2016, 06:40:41 AM »
Doing some reading...is this part of the SafeZone I am reading about?
Neither I nor my wife accepted anything..eddy.
She cam home from work to a screen that said Avast must restart your computer. Whatever it did, it did without asking us, nor giving us any EULA to read.
Now I need to go and see what garbage Avast has installed on her computer.
This is getting close to me putting my AV program on her computer.
Folks can argue about legalities all they want to...but it comes down to morality.

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2016, 06:58:10 AM »
And after more reading...went to add/remove, modify, and you DID install it with no asking me to agree to anything...AND you re-installed Software Updater (I will update what I want, when I want, and I do NOT need your help to do so), and Browser Cleanup, and no idea what Home Network Security is, but killed that, too (don't have a network) not sure yet what Secure Line is, but since I refuse, full stop, to do any on-line banking, maybe that one will go away.
The arrogance and rudeness I read in some of these threads is amazing.

Offline davexnet

• Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2016, 07:22:40 AM »
I'm a user like you.  In general, many of us are advising a custom install and select the options you want.
At least that way there are no surprises (until the latest pushware Safezone browser, and that approach may change).

avast seems to be pushing the boundaries with what it it thinks it can get away with, and it may take some time
to settle down.  It will be interesting to see, in light of the massive criticism of avast's policy what it will be
when the latest beta is finalized.  Just my 2 cents worth.
AMD FX-4300 4GB DDR3
avast free 2279 (Windows XP), MBAM free

Offline Be Secure

• Long Time Avast User(10years.....) Security Enthusiast.
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2016, 07:30:11 AM »
Latest beta made it clean.So keep it up Avast! :)
But not in Stable release :( Why?
https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=185000.0
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 07:34:28 AM by Be Secure »
PC- Windows10 EDU 64Bit,avast! free 21.1.2449,uBlock Origin,NVT_OSA,GoogleChrome(64bit),CCleaner,Unchecky,ZAM Free,Shadow Defender.
Security Enthusiast

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2016, 07:34:40 AM »
Yeah, I'm on page 11 of the locked thread (resolved?) now.
I was caught in the MicroSlime "critical" WGA forced update many years ago where they overrode my settings (notify but do not download) and did it anyway.

I have now removed everything I can, but now realize the big issue is Avast has not taken into account our previously set preferences and settings...like the stupid e-mail signature...my first clue something was amiss when my wife sent me an e-mail and I saw it.

Up front companies do not normally reset everything with updates. I am going to kill off program updates from Avast as soon as I can get back up the stairs again.

This is hogwash.

I certainly hope those clowns who lip off to loyal users don't do that face-to-face or somebody is going to poke somebody.

They claim it's been around what, 4 years, and now they want to infect us all with it? Maybe we use the free version because we don't want all that carp?

I use ESET on this computer..paid version...with a multiple computer license..and if this Avast stuff keeps up...even if they do another "upgrade" that changes all my preferences and settings to THEIR default, I am putting ESET on her computer.

The clowns on the other thread claim most folks found out by seeing the icon...not here.
First clue was all https urls were blocked, and since she uses FaceBook, there was no way to get around it.

I am watching this..carefully.

And now back to reading the thread where everyone is abandoning the Avast ship.

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2016, 08:04:44 AM »
18 freaking pages..and finally the head whatever comes in and says they stopped doing it...but then they are still doing it...

- We actually stopped pushing SafeZone to Free AV users shortly after this thread was started, to take the time to better understand all the feedback and possibly adjust the strategy
- While we're disappointed that the reaction to the inclusion of this premium feature in the Free AV has generally been rather negative (at least based on the feedback here and other sites), we have made the decision to stop pushing it for the time being
- SafeZone is still part of new Free AV installs though (and of course, as always, can be configured in the Custom installation) -- so in that regard, the free and premium versions of Avast now behave the same"

What does that MEAN? They stopped pushing SafeZone...but it's still part of free AV installs?
Did they stop or not?
What rubbish!

After my experience with XP WGA forced update, I figured out how to kill updates...really kill them. I can turn it on, read up, and do the ones I want..and they cannot get past it anymore.
I may have to do that here if I don't do ESET.

What a crock.

Offline Be Secure

• Long Time Avast User(10years.....) Security Enthusiast.
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2016, 08:58:35 AM »
 "and of course, as always, can be configured in the Custom installation"in latest beta https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=185000.0 not in stable version as far now,i think :)
PC- Windows10 EDU 64Bit,avast! free 21.1.2449,uBlock Origin,NVT_OSA,GoogleChrome(64bit),CCleaner,Unchecky,ZAM Free,Shadow Defender.
Security Enthusiast

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2016, 11:18:05 AM »
like it also enabled the Avast signature on e-mails..which I had "off" and now is "off" again
I believe you mean "and is now on again" ;)
What you had turned off was the inserting of lines into mail handled by email clients.
avast has added scanning for web-based mail and that is on by default also.
What you need to do (if you haven't done so already) is turning both off.

avast doesn't have a problem with certificates/ssl/tls websites.
If it does on (your wifes) system, there is something wrong.

Offline badass

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2016, 05:40:25 PM »
@ dnkgoods, I understand your frustration as I was a little frustrated also.  But we are using a Free Service here that is quite good, in fact one of the best in most reports I've read.  And this nice forum to get the help we need.  Unless we have to use computers for work etc. then we should just try to accept that avast needs to make money also, and advertising, Subscriptions etc. is how they do it.

I was actually happy to see it there for free, but read up on it and there were some problems with it, since been fixed I think.  Though some less informed users than you might like the security that a browser like this would provide.  You probably know how to set up a browser to keep you safe, while others don't.

badass
Dell 660S, Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1, Intel Core i3 3240, 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3, Avast Free

REDACTED

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2016, 06:29:05 PM »
like it also enabled the Avast signature on e-mails..which I had "off" and now is "off" again
I believe you mean "and is now on again" ;)
What you had turned off was the inserting of lines into mail handled by email clients.
avast has added scanning for web-based mail and that is on by default also.
What you need to do (if you haven't done so already) is turning both off.

avast doesn't have a problem with certificates/ssl/tls websites.
If it does on (your wifes) system, there is something wrong.

No. It was off before the "upgrade", and now that I have discovered the issue, it is "off" again. Exactly as stated.
What seems to be happening or was until I killed off several handfuls of "features", is that Avast was telling FireFox there was not a current certificate. On https google, there was a workaround. On https facebook, there was not, and it said because it could not be trusted, it would not let her in.
To try to make this as clear as I can....there was no issue whatsoever before the "upgrade". There was a major issue after the "upgrade". Nothing in FireFox that I could find to set to fix it. But I started looking into Avast, and lo...and behold....that did it.
Your call.
Worked fine.
Avast upgraded.
Didn't work.
Disabled all the new BS on the Avast upgrade.
Works again.

Tell me where something else enters into that?