Author Topic: Avast Password  (Read 5175 times)

REDACTED

Avast Password
« on: April 03, 2016, 08:52:31 AM »
Hello,
Some time ago, I used Avast PM, for a short period. Now I've installed PM on phone and PC. When I want to enter in PM settings (on PC) I get asked for the password, don't longer know the old password, can I reset the password somehow? On mobile I could set a password, no problem.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Avast Password
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2016, 12:09:57 PM »
As has been explained many times, you will need to perform a clean installation.

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2016, 12:24:36 PM »
A clean installation of what? Avast? Already did that. Didn't work. I have logged in with the same account, is that the problem?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2016, 12:48:35 PM »
Thought you where talking about the password on the avast scan application.
Sorry, my mistake.

Here is the avast password application FAQ.
https://www.avast.com/faq.php?article=AVKB254
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 01:25:15 PM by Eddy »

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2016, 07:07:26 PM »
On the avast FAQ for the question: "What happens to my passwords if my device is lost or stolen?"

It states:
"Your data is protected with your Main Password or Passcode. If you have more devices that are synchronized with the lost or stolen one, you can remove the device from the group remotely in your settings for synchronization."

How do I remotely remove the stolen device?

Thank you for the help.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2016, 07:23:25 PM »

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2016, 07:35:02 PM »
Yes, I have read that FAQ. But it states how to remove the device you currently have access to, not your stolen device.

It even explicitly states:
"All passwords stored locally in the app will be deleted. However, you can still regain access to the synchronization group:
If there are other devices still in the group, you can add the device again."

From this I gather that it will remove the device I have access to from the "synchronization group", but all other devices (for example the one that has been stolen) will remain synchronized.

What I want to know is how to remove the device that has been stolen from the synchronization group so that, in case event they crack my main password, they will not have access to my entire password database.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2016, 07:50:10 PM »
You read it wrong.
It says that you can remove the lost/stolen device from the group using a device you still have and is in the group.

REDACTED

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2016, 08:31:14 PM »
Hi Eddy.

I appreciate that is what it says. Referring to my original question, HOW do I remove these devices?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2016, 08:58:06 PM »
Using your existing devise, log on the the my.avast.com account, that should show you all the devised you had previously linked to that account.

Here you should be able to manage your account/devices - you should be able to remove the stolen device.

The problem being if you have forgotten the password to log-on to your my.avast.com, this complicates things somewhat. When trying to log-on with either the wrong or forgotten password, you are going to have to use the 'Can't access your account' option (image1) to reset/recover the forgotten password.

You have to at least be able to remember the email you previously used for the account (image2). This should then send an email to that address.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2016, 09:37:57 PM »
Hi DavidR, thank you for the help.

Using the my.avast.com account I have removed the stolen device (see attachment 1)

Yet when I use the avast! program, in Settings > Passwords > Synchronisation there is a tab entitled "My other devices". Under this tab, the stolen device (and other old devices) are still listed (see attachment 2)

I would like to remove these devices if possible.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2016, 11:12:32 PM »
Unfortunately I don't use the Avast Passwords function.

Looking at this from a purely logical (my logic) way since you have Synchronisation on, that is I believe hard wired into the Passwords data/information.

I believe you may have to turn off Synchronisation, OK your way out of the settings screen and then use the Sync now option. I'm hoping that it would then refer to the my.avast.com Devices that you now have.

This does carry a risk of unknown consequences (and my not knowing them), lost passwords, etc. but I don't think so if you happened to be using the device that you started Passwords with and then synchronised to the other devices.

It may be worth a visit to the correct sub-forum Avast EasyPass now for Avast Passwords and browse that forum to see if there is any related topics.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2016, 02:46:43 AM »
I'll give that a try. Thank you very much for the help and advice!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2016, 03:18:23 PM »
You're welcome.