Author Topic: Tipsea-E  (Read 3154 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

bosoxfan

  • Guest
Tipsea-E
« on: January 08, 2006, 08:20:09 PM »
Trying to find info on this problem:

My sister-in-law's computer is running Avast and it supposedly discovered Tipsea-E at some point.....she says she put it in the chest (which I confirmed she did) and ever since then, when she runs Internet Explorer, it will take forever and then come up with "page cannot be displayed" . I have taken a look at the problem and discovered that after 2 or 3 refreshes of loading the page, the page will then display correctly. After that, as long as you don't wait too long (more than 25 seconds it seems), pages (any URL) can be displayed without a problem. Once the approximately 25 seconds expires, I must again wait until the first try times out, and most likely the second try; then the third try goes normally. This can be repeated with the same results consistently.

I watch the cable modem activity LED, and it seems a request is not even being sent when it eventually comes back with "cannot display page". On the successful try, it appears a request goes out.

Avast no longer finds any problems when doing a scan. Nor does a boot time scan.

I tried downloading and running Netscape and I have the same exact problem with that.

Can anyone shed some light on this?


Offline DavidR

  • Avast √úberevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • *****
  • Posts: 89426
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Tipsea-E
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2006, 09:34:56 PM »
What firewall are you/they using, is ashWebSv.exe 'avast! Web Shield' allowed access?

Quote
Avast no longer finds any problems when doing a scan. Nor does a boot time scan.
I would like to hope that this is because your/their system is clean.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.6.6121 (build 24.6.9241.848) UI 1.0.809/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline FreewheelinFrank

  • Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • ***
  • Posts: 4872
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
Re: Tipsea-E
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2006, 10:05:53 PM »
Googling for other people with the same problem, it seems Tipsea-E has been found in rlvknlg.exe before, and this file is a part of MarketScore:

Quote
NetSetter (MarketScore) is a proxy service which claims to increase the speed of your internet connection. It runs at startup to ensure all your web connections are routed through NetSetter's proxies. (You will not observe any significant speedup from using the service.)

http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/pest/pest.aspx?id=43974

This may explain the symtoms you are experiencing.

I suggest you try running some anti-spyware programs to see if they remove any registry entries that may still be causing problems.

Ad-Aware http://www.majorgeeks.com/download506.html

Spybot Search & Destroy http://www.safer-networking.org/

As the write-up above is from Computer Associates, you may want to try their product, Pest Patrol, if Ad-Aware and spybot don't fix the problem.

There is a free one year trial available here:

http://www.ca.com/de/dsin/

Beware! If Pest Patrol detects ACTSKIN4.OCX as malware, do not remove it: this is a false positive, and part of avast!!
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog