Author Topic: "Change" option missing in installer. How do I customise installation?  (Read 6489 times)

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
Upgraded to 11.1.2510. Curious to see if "Virtual Machines" component installed, but  :o :o

** "Change" option is still mentioned twice but no longer exists **  See pics.

1/. Is this by design or by accident.?
2/. How now do I easily check and/or change which components are installed?

There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
No comments?  :'(

I've checked and 10.3.2508 still has "Change" option (see pic).
I've stopped program upgrades until I can get a solution.

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Still not fixed :o

Not happy  >:( I've changed to the free version (11.1.2253).
It's not broken there.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
In the cloud version you should make changes through the control panel, not on a system.

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
In the cloud version you should make changes through the control panel, not on a system.

Thanks Eddy. Please point out the setting for "Secure Virtual Machines".

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
I can be wrong here, but as far as I know that option doesn't excist in the cloud version.

It would be strange if you could enable/disable it while it doesn't exist.  ;)

REDACTED

Thanks Eddy. Please point out the setting for "Secure Virtual Machines".

What is it you're wanting to achieve?  Perhaps it can be handled a different way.  You've mentioned you want to see if Secure Virtual Machines is installed, but for what goal?  Are you wanting to turn it off, and why? etc.

I think the setting you are looking for is under Avast settings/troubleshooting/Enable hardware assisted virtualization which would be on a per-machine basis since its not a cloud setting.

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Thanks GFM

I want to make sure "Secure Virtual Machines" is not installed on machines with meagre CPU performance that nonetheless support the feature. e.g. Intel Atom single-core.

I didn't think Avast settings/troubleshooting/Enable hardware assisted virtualization was the same as not installing "Secure Virtual Machines" because it is neither greyed-out or unchecked on  Athlon XP 3000+ machines which O know don't support "Secure Virtual Machines".

REDACTED

I didn't think Avast settings/troubleshooting/Enable hardware assisted virtualization was the same as not installing "Secure Virtual Machines" because it is neither greyed-out or unchecked on  Athlon XP 3000+ machines which O know don't support "Secure Virtual Machines".

To be honest I'm not sure myself  :)

I think it is a separate binary process to support Secure Virtual machine.  Perhaps called AvastVBoxSVC.exe or NGservice.exe and possibly running as a Windows service (sorry don't have a machine in front of me to check).

My understanding is if the CPU didn't support the code, it wouldn't run regardless of the "Enable hardware assisted virtualization" tickbox state.  The option I thought was to allow you to set the state only if it was able to run, but had no smarts around being greyed out etc.

This question might be more suited to the "Avast Free/Pro/IS/Premier" forum since that is where the codebase comes from, lots of discussion there on the subject.