Author Topic: Has anyone had this problem?  (Read 5802 times)

LordTiger

Has anyone had this problem?
« on: March 07, 2006, 04:42:26 PM »
I hope someone can help me.

I recently turned on my computer and found that Avast had not loaded up in my system tray.  Upon further research I found that ashDisp.exe and the main program file itself are missing.

I tried to reinstall the software and, upon reboot, the same thing happened.. these files ended up missing.

When I try to uninstall Avast, I can't.  I click on the Repair/Remove button and nothing happens.

Has anyone had this problem before?  Can anyone help?

(I had what TrendMicro calls TROJ_BAGLE.DG - and my method of removing it was to delete some registry keys pointing to the infected file - LDR64.DLL and deleting LDR64.DLL itself)

tkd1987

Re: Has anyone had this problem?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2006, 05:01:30 PM »
i also have a simliar prob,
i recently had a virus that avast did not detect, when i looked again avast wasnt even open... i opened it and scanned it found the file but couldnt remove it,
now that i have got rid of the virus avast still doesnt open on start up?
i reinstalled and the same didnt do anything...

any body have any ideas???

ta

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2006, 05:37:02 PM »
I recently turned on my computer and found that Avast had not loaded up in my system tray.  Upon further research I found that ashDisp.exe and the main program file itself are missing.

I tried to reinstall the software and, upon reboot, the same thing happened.. these files ended up missing.

When I try to uninstall Avast, I can't.  I click on the Repair/Remove button and nothing happens.
Are you getting any errors or warnings when you try to install or on boot, if so please expand ?

Why can't you use the add remove uninstall, what happens, errors/warnings, etc. or does it just hang ?
Avast Uninstall Utility, find it here

What is your OS ?
Did/do you have another AV installed on this system, if so what and how was it removed ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

LordTiger

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2006, 07:43:57 PM »
I'm running WinXP Home ver. 2002 - SP2. 

I get no warnings - nor does it do anything when I click repair/remove... it don't even hang.. it's like the machine is totally ignorant to the fact that it exists/existed.

Right now I have TrendMicro OfficeScan's trial software installed, other than that for almost a year I have been a faithful Avast user. (Previously had McAfee installed - removed via their uninstall util.)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2006, 08:32:33 PM »
Having two resident AVs on the same system doesn't provide twice the protection and is a recipe for disaster as they can and often do conflict.

When avast installs if it finds the presence of other resident (on-access, not on-demand) AVs it may not fully or correctly install, often to avoid a conflict. This often presents itself in the form of no ashDisp.exe icon on the system tray.

I think you need to make your mind up which AV you want installed and I would suggest you stick with avast! uninstall Trend's OfficeScanner and reboot, then uninstall avast (you may need to use the avast uninstall utility link I gave you), reboot and reinstall avast.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

LordTiger

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2006, 09:45:30 PM »
Ok, not that you meant to, but you 'assumed' that I installed TrendMicro before I had this problem. 

I installed TrendMicro's software after I had this problem.

Get this - lsass.exe and 2 instances of svchost.exe terminated, and XP is still operational! 

Things are getting a little strange here...

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2006, 10:50:40 PM »
Download, update and run ewido in safe mode http://www.ewido.net/en/download/ then run a spyware programme of your choice. Then reinstal Avast and run a boot time scan

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2006, 11:00:15 PM »
OK but installing Trend when you couldn't remove avast could overwrite some registry keys, I don't know if that may have an effect. Have you downloaded and run the avast Uninstall Utility ?

The file name without its location ( ? ) isn't very helpfull as there a number of viruses that use system file names but in a different location, to try and stop you deleting them.

Is your version of XP fully up to date ?
Do you have a firewall and please don't say XP's as it doesn't provide outbound protection ?

LordTiger

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2006, 11:20:34 PM »
I used the uninstall utility I was provided with.  I uninstalled TrendMicro - rebooted my pc - used the uninstall util on Avast - rebooted my pc - installed Avast - rebooted my pc - and ashAvast.exe is not on my hard drive. 

I do not have a firewall  :-[
Just XP's crap and the my router.

I'll try essexboy's idea and see what happens.

I appreciate all this help :)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2006, 11:26:58 PM »
Without outbound protection there is nothing stopping any malware one your system downloading more of the same, I know XP's firewa (half a firewa ) doesn't and it is likely your hardware firewall does either.

The ashAvast.exe should be in the C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4 folder, you could try a repair of avast. Add Remove programs, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button and scroll down to Repair, click next and follow. You need to be on-line to do this.

LordTiger

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2006, 02:02:09 AM »
Wow.. is that Ewido malware software ever extensive.

Found BAGLE.PAC - which was attached to 'hosts.bak'

I guess - like all it's other versions - it tends to hamper with Antivirus/spyware software as well as block network connections and delete reg keys.

I am going to try installing avast now.

What firewall software would you recommend?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2006, 02:58:27 AM »
Zone Alarm free (from zonelabs.com)is fine it has a relatively friendly user interface (note you may get a pop-up warning from avast at some point) but the free version works fine without any changes required to either avast or ZA.

A belated welcome to the forums and good night I'm off to bed, almost 2 a.m. here.

CharleyO

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2006, 03:09:33 AM »

Zone Alarm Free will warn you with a pop-up message about each program that tries to exit your computer ... until you "teach" it what programs to let out and which ones to deny. You teach it by checking the little box on the pop-up warning that tells ZA to remember this choice ... either allow or deny. In just a day or 2, you will very seldom get those warnings anymore unless you install a new program that wants to exit your computer. Other than this, you should not need to change anything in ZA once it is fully installed.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2006, 04:22:27 PM by CharleyO »

LordTiger

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2006, 05:47:50 AM »
Whew!!

I used that Ewido software 3 - 4 times and each time it found malware/spyware.

1600 instances of malware to be exact.

After a good cleaning of a very irritating worm, I think I have this problem licked.
I also had to delete a 'hosts' file that I found causing my internet browsers to redirect to my computer when I try going to certain sites.

I like the firewall software so far - it's only a slight annoyance... but it's getting better.

I only have one problem left.  I have Avast installed now, but the bugger won't run properly.  It will not start the on-access protection.  I've updated the VPS and still to no avail.

Thanks everyone for your help.