Author Topic: business.avast.com stuck at "loading"  (Read 6122 times)

REDACTED

business.avast.com stuck at "loading"
« on: April 09, 2016, 08:31:43 AM »
Hi, since February this year I have had problems loading business.avast.com (tested on multiple PCs using google chrome browser, firefox and IE).

I have also found that the same problem occurs going to my.avast.com.

I think since February I have successfully accessed the business.avast.com website on 2 occasions.  The rest have all resulted in me being stuck with this loading message and the oscillating blob icon.  IE and Firefox just show a spinning circle with the word Loading underneath.  In some situations, rather than the loading blob icon you get the avast for business spinning icon. 

What should I do to get around this issue?

I saw another person reported this issue last year using IE9 (https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=168171.0) and the person who replied simply dismissed them by saying "since your problem is at work you should contact your IT department".  If I was the person that got that reply I would have stopped using Avast and gone to another product.  Before anyone replies similarly to me, please note that I AM the IT department here and it is driving me crazy that I cannot support my users because I cannot manage their avast installations!

Thanks,
Stephen
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 09:08:10 AM by Stephen149 »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: business.avast.com stuck at "loading"
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2016, 08:50:29 AM »
The sites are working fine for me in IE, Opera and FireFox, Chrome and Maxthon.

Try another browser and see if it works.
If it does, you know that your Chrome installation is the problem.

I'm not 100%, but I believe you need to have cookies enabled for the site.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2016, 09:13:52 AM »
The sites are working fine for me in IE, Opera and FireFox, Chrome and Maxthon.
No problems here either (FF ESR).
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2016, 09:15:07 AM »
Thanks Eddy.  I've just spent the last hour testing IE and Firefox as well and confirmed that the situation is no better, and doing further checks with Chrome by accessing the site using an incognito browser session to see if there was a problem with an existing cookie or something that was affecting it. I've updated the original post to reflect that and to also show an additional image I captured.  I do have cookies enabled.

Here in Afghanistan, DSL internet speeds aren't great and sometimes downloads get interrupted.  If there was a way to manually download whatever resource the page is trying to download it would then be potentially more reliable.  I am suspicious that the people who wrote the tool haven't considered what would happen to the user experience if the download session timed out while it was loading whatever it is trying to load and therefore haven't catered for displaying an error message.  I am guessing that whenever they were doing development it would have been with a high speed connection to the avast servers.  But since there is no error message this is just a guess.

Stephen

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2016, 09:23:35 AM »
Now I'm thinking my guess might be close to the truth.  I managed to get hold of a faster network connection (3G mobile data) and was able to finally log into the web page.  I suspect that the application is not detecting a failed download and is silently failing with that loading message getting stuck on the screen.  I think the developers may need to look at doing testing on a slower connection in order to properly check their code. 

I hope this helps someone else.
Stephen

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2016, 09:43:51 AM »
I am currently on a slow connection and have no problems.
up/down 2053/5842 kbps

avast doesn't have to change anything.
Sure, they can detect that the connection broke down.
But what they can't is seeing why it broke down.
You can have closed the window or browser.
There can be a power failure where you live.
A mouse can be chewing on your network cable ;D

Only way to continue is if your browser sends a new request for the page.

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2016, 09:49:14 AM »
Eddy, thanks for your reply again.  You have a fast connection.  Our DSL here is 128 up 512 down here.

You are saying they can't detect why there is a failure.  That is not actually what I'm asking.  I'm asking that they should detect a failure and either retry the download or at least tell the user that the download has failed and they should refresh the browser.  Otherwise the user sits there waiting forever and doesn't actually know if the download has failed or not.

Regards,
Stephen

REDACTED

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2017, 06:59:04 PM »
10 MBit/sec connection.  I also get the loading screen hang.  FlagFox shows a Netherlands server
jlp

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2017, 07:05:11 PM »
http://whois.domaintools.com/avast.com

the site is currently a little slow, but id otherwise working without any problem

REDACTED

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2017, 08:22:55 AM »
Just to chime in with my experience here, I tend to agree it is location/speed based.  I'm in Australia in a remote location, so very slow ADSL. 

It does not matter what browser, PC, home or company internet, time of day, etc but I always have "Session Timeout" issues navigating the site, sometimes can't get logged in for ages, etc. 

I've just put up with it, since the only common factor between my home and work PCs is geographic location.  Everything else like ISP, OS, Browser, Antivirus is different and tried different things where I can.  It's intermittent and unpredictable :(

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2017, 09:06:49 AM »
See if you can get VDSL.

Offline misak

• Avast team
    • Personal page (CZE)
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2017, 11:55:55 AM »
In few previous versions of management console our CSS were huge, which cause problems on slow connections. In last version 2.21 we reduce the size 3x. Also all Javascript and CSS files are locally cached. So once you get these files you should be fine... unless we release new version, then newer version of files are downloaded.