Author Topic: Avast premier 11.2 - Alexa.com False positive  (Read 1982 times)

REDACTED

Avast premier 11.2 - Alexa.com False positive
« on: April 09, 2016, 09:39:35 PM »
I just started using a trial version of Avast premier 11.2.2261, when i downloaded website report of  malwr.com from Alexa, Avast blocks the download saying it blocked a virus(PHP:BackDoor-FN[Trj] ) !!

How is this possible ? First of all the downloaded file is an archive report file and there is no way it can contain a virus because they are generated when you make a request , how come it blocks an archive file of Malwr.com and no other websites?

Is Avast getting confused with the file name or names inside the archive ?

I was a eset nod32 user, after upgrading to eset nod32 antivirus 9 , it began to affect my system performance and finally i removed it and installed Avast premier. I really liked the product with low system impact and fast scans but these false positives put me in a place where i need to rethink buying the premier version and i need to say that i didn't have any single false positive with eset nod32.

I need help from users, below is the screenshot of the alert i got.

Thank you in advance

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Avast premier 11.2 - Alexa.com False positive
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2016, 10:40:17 PM »
Malwr.com is a place to upload analyse and share malware samples

Does the report you try to download containe a php script? ... or the download url

« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 11:03:58 PM by Pondus »

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
Re: Avast premier 11.2 - Alexa.com False positive
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2016, 12:56:06 AM »
Do not panic!
Sometimes these examples/samples without payload of course could show a tiny bit too much of the real code to cause an Avast alert
as if it was the real McCoy.
Nothing to worry about but a detection tool sometimes cannot make the distinction and the alarm bells will start to ring.
Now you know what happened, you have nothing to worry about.

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!