Author Topic: Sorry, but your product and whole company is one big mess  (Read 66541 times)

Offline stibi

Re: Sorry, but your product and whole company is one big mess
« Reply #105 on: April 15, 2016, 06:42:15 PM »
I'm kinda glad this topic started, this gives the us a chance to voice our opinions and for the avast team to listen and try to fix what needs to be fixed.
That seems very optimistic in the meanwhile...

REDACTED

« Reply #106 on: April 15, 2016, 07:06:47 PM »
When it's even working. The basic DeepScreen is rubbish and the DeepScreen NG wasn't even working for months on Windows 10 64bit. It was fixed in build 2260 for 1 whole day and then build 2261 was released where NG was broken again and still doesn't work. This was really the tipping point where I said enough is enough.

Add to that using a "VM" in any machine is VERY risky on what it can break/conflict at the core kernel level....not to mention the memory resources such a thing requires.
You talk about putting faith in a A/V to protect you from viruses....putting path in "VM" software of any vendor is a quantum leap of faith to the very core of your O/S.
Obviously, there are many solid VM environments out there.......but if you couple the fact Avast's VM/NG does not work AND the risk you have in having another VM environment threaded into your PC the easy no-brainer answer is no one should EVER install this feature on your PC from Avast.  This is not just my opinion but some very knowlegable O/S & firmware designers I work with daily that I asked their thoughts on. For those that don't believe me.....take a look at Avast NG and what it has done (corrupted) to Restore Points and also offline images......not pretty.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 07:17:21 PM by thekochs »

Offline Vapor

« Reply #107 on: April 15, 2016, 07:08:16 PM »
FYI. I have been looking for alternative to my avast antivirus Pro ( 13-15 years user) for a while and even thou it seems this latest version is slightly less  hog resource and quicker I have tried  this so far:

Kasperski

Nod32  and

NANO

Keep in mind I have Outpost firewall pro so I need something that is compatible, if any of you have OFP keep that in mind.
Nod32 is pretty good, works well and its pretty light on resources,  Kasperski is flaky with Outpost it want you to uninstall OFP, not happening but NANO its really nice antivirus, very light and quick, good at detection.

I emailed NANO ( I do speak  and write Russian) to ask if NANO will get any unnecessary add-ons or if they planning something in near future and guess what, they were asked the same question from many, many avast users already I was very surprised.
Nanao will not make their antivirus bloatware, they know how people don't like add-ons if they only looking for antivirus, avast 4  was like that, good old days.
I thought I will shine some light on that, if anyone is in the process of switching.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #108 on: April 15, 2016, 07:20:41 PM »
I rest my case...
http://chart.av-comparatives.org/chart1.php?chart=chart2&year=2016&month=3&sort=1&zoom=0

Kaspersky for example, that's an anomaly. It consistently scored great, but this time, it dropped significantly. avast! on the other hand, it has been sitting in that place for months and years now. It is consistently mediocre. If avast! will be first out of all just once in the future, it'll be an anomaly again. But if avast! team can score that once, twice, three times etc, then that becomes a consistent thing and then we can talk how avast! has actually improved.

Now, look at something else. Free competition. AVIRA and AVG. If we look several years back, avast!, AVIRA (H+BEDV AntiVir back then) and AVG, they were somewhat on the same level. Then, when AntiVir became AVIRA, it pulled ahead significantly and never let go the pressure. They were apparently serious about their stuff and they are now for few years a huge force in anti-malware segment. AVG for example, it has long been very mediocre. Even few months ago. But they've bumped up the IDP (behavior blocker) and their new cloud system and they are what seems to be a consistent huge bump in protection performance. With avast!, we got all sorts of fancy gimmicks like Behavior Shield, file heuristics, Auto Sandbox, DeepScreen, NG, HIPS, Evo-Gen  and yet, somehow, it's still lumbering behind the pack.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline Vapor

« Reply #109 on: April 15, 2016, 07:50:08 PM »
With avast!, we got all sorts of fancy gimmicks like Behavior Shield, file heuristics, Auto Sandbox, DeepScreen, NG, HIPS, Evo-Gen  and yet, somehow, it's still lumbering behind the pack

And that's all it is..... gimmicks, never cared and never will for the darn extra add-ons, its fine if you have choice to either installed them or not, but to many times they will install themselves anyways, not fan of that.
My nephew was avast pro user for over 6 years and this year he switched to Kasperski, but he doesn't have firewall so that was a bit easier for him, he said he is happy.
I have 36 days left and I want to switch, too much craziness, every time my subscription comes up for renewal I have always second thought, not a good sigh, but again 13 years, it's been a long time and avast once was superior product, this year I said I will stick to my guns.
To be honest, this latest version is working pretty good and normally I would have ton of prompts from my firewall and that was huge aggravation, this time everything seems silent.......hmmm, once again very  enjoying time, if avast could keep consistent and simple, that would make a difference.

REDACTED

« Reply #110 on: April 15, 2016, 07:58:13 PM »

I rest my case...
http://chart.av-comparatives.org/chart1.php?chart=chart2&year=2016&month=3&sort=1&zoom=0

Kaspersky for example, that's an anomaly. It consistently scored great, but this time, it dropped significantly. avast! on the other hand, it has been sitting in that place for months and years now. It is consistently mediocre. If avast! will be first out of all just once in the future, it'll be an anomaly again. But if avast! team can score that once, twice, three times etc, then that becomes a consistent thing and then we can talk how avast! has actually improved.

Now, look at something else. Free competition. AVIRA and AVG. If we look several years back, avast!, AVIRA (H+BEDV AntiVir back then) and AVG, they were somewhat on the same level. Then, when AntiVir became AVIRA, it pulled ahead significantly and never let go the pressure. They were apparently serious about their stuff and they are now for few years a huge force in anti-malware segment. AVG for example, it has long been very mediocre. Even few months ago. But they've bumped up the IDP (behavior blocker) and their new cloud system and they are what seems to be a consistent huge bump in protection performance. With avast!, we got all sorts of fancy gimmicks like Behavior Shield, file heuristics, Auto Sandbox, DeepScreen, NG, HIPS, Evo-Gen  and yet, somehow, it's still lumbering behind the pack.

People want stability in an antivirus program, not gimmicks, nor hidden installs.  What happened with safezone browser's silent install still has everyone fuming.  Yet Avast thinks everything is fine and dandy.  Well its not.  If people leave its because the trust isn't there.  Avast has far from being honest.  They will hide behind the EULA agreement, when what was done was highly illegal.  An apology would go a long way.  But since this program was founded in the Czech republic, they are probably hiding behind where they are located as well.  How this anti-virus still exists despite the outrageous lying that has been going on is beyond me.  No attempt to offer an apology was ever given either.  The silent majority has voiced its concerns on this forum, unfortunately, all of our concerns, have fallen upon deaf ears.  Most of the users of Avast don't come to this forum, so we are speaking for the majority of users out there who have no posted here.  Avast should put in their program what is going on and a link to this forum.  In this way ALL users will have a right to post how they feel and get help when its needed and not have to google on why a mysterious icon, i.e. Safezone appeared via a silent install.  Avast you need to come clean once and for all.  What other secrets are you keeping from us?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 07:59:52 PM by Hurt_Locker »

Offline Shaun985

« Reply #111 on: April 15, 2016, 09:56:16 PM »
You'd think after the whole mail signature fiasco they wouldn't try something like forcing a Safezone install.  But nope...

REDACTED

« Reply #112 on: April 15, 2016, 10:45:16 PM »
Speaking of which I had to manually turn that footer off too just before, the update changed that to allowing its now called "Enable Avast E-mail signature."  I unchecked that. Thanks for the heads up. 

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #113 on: April 15, 2016, 10:54:32 PM »
With avast!, we got all sorts of fancy gimmicks like Behavior Shield, file heuristics, Auto Sandbox, DeepScreen, NG, HIPS, Evo-Gen  and yet, somehow, it's still lumbering behind the pack.

From that pack only the autosandbox (did catch some malware) and evo-gen actually were effective in v8+ etc. The filerep has worked with the cloud too.

Everything else hasn't done much or done anything to be honest.

Users want to see more protection features not stuff like passwords management and safeprice which are just plain and simple bloat. If I wanted a password manager, I wouldn't use an anti-virus for that.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

Offline TrueIndian

• Poster
« Reply #114 on: April 16, 2016, 05:52:59 AM »
Avira APC is a stronger than avast...No they dont use any fancy stuff like avast they just have cloud and they haven't even explained it that much but I have tested for past 1 week and its quite a monster like how evo-gen once was  :o

Their cloud is quite formidable and pretty much surpasses the need of their proactiv module because of how quick and how good it is.They are giving malware writers a tough time:
https://blog.avira.com/avira-locky-ransomware-creators/

In my opinion, it is possible to compensate a BB with the right cloud detection modules.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 06:09:02 AM by True Ind »

REDACTED

« Reply #115 on: April 16, 2016, 09:10:19 AM »
So Avast's detection rates are marginally lower then the top scores... What about 'web blocking' - last I looked Avast scored much higher then most. Also, I always use 'Hardened Mode- Aggressive' - how does Avast do now in this mode? I think all test cases I've seen in this mode blocked 100%, but I haven't looked for any tests for a long time.

Offline Shaun985

« Reply #116 on: April 16, 2016, 10:10:13 AM »
Avira APC is a stronger than avast...No they dont use any fancy stuff like avast they just have cloud and they haven't even explained it that much but I have tested for past 1 week and its quite a monster like how evo-gen once was  :o

Their cloud is quite formidable and pretty much surpasses the need of their proactiv module because of how quick and how good it is.They are giving malware writers a tough time:
https://blog.avira.com/avira-locky-ransomware-creators/

In my opinion, it is possible to compensate a BB with the right cloud detection modules.

Are you using Avira free or pro?  From what I can gather, Avira free doesn't have a mail or web scanning like Avast free but I'm not sure how important those two are anyways?  Anyone know?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #117 on: April 16, 2016, 02:21:33 PM »

Their cloud is quite formidable and pretty much surpasses the need of their proactive module because of how quick and how good it is.
<snip>

You shouldn't rely on cloud protection alone, if that goes down you could well be stuffed.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.5.6116 (build 24.5.9153.762) UI 1.0.808/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #118 on: April 16, 2016, 04:25:44 PM »
Appears there's no web scanning in Avast but rather a BS blacklist.
Sorry, but this is nonsense.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #119 on: April 16, 2016, 10:29:33 PM »
Hi Jakub56,

WebShield does quite a few things, full-text scanning of the traffic (both binaries and HTML / Javascript) both local and assisted with the cloud knowledge (such as certificate, file and domain reputation services) and it also does url/domain/IP blocking.

I am not an expert on the virus database content, but from what I know, most of the blocks (Url:Mal signatures) are domains, some are full URLs, a some are IPs -- such as those used as fake DNS servers used inside CSRF-Router DNS hijack attacks.

Lukas.