Author Topic: Avast keeps knocking my printer offline  (Read 5069 times)

REDACTED

Avast keeps knocking my printer offline
« on: April 11, 2016, 07:35:08 AM »
Hey all,

I've been using Avast for a wee while now - really like the software. However one thing I've just discovered is quite annoying. My printer has been going offline, alot! In the past, the only way to get it back online was to reinstall the driver! This is not a solution, as it's knocking to offline daily this week.

I noticed after doing some reading, that when I disable my AIS, the printing goes back online. What's the go here?! Is there some way I can get my Avast not to knock out my printing settings??

If someone could please help me out, that would be awesome.

I run windows 8, and have a full, up to date version of AIS.

Thanks guys,

Steve

Offline pavelk

• Avast team
Re: Avast keeps knocking my printer offline
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2016, 02:43:19 PM »
Hi Steve,
could you find problem component? Try to disable components(one after one) in avastui/Settings/Active protection.
What printer do you have? I see a problem with Brother printer and port scan detection - you can try disable it in avastui/Tools/Firewall/Settings/Advanced/Port scan detection.
Thanks
Pavel

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2016, 07:38:15 PM »
I have ~ same problem with my Brother printer MFC J4710DW. Running a Dell XPS8300 with a cool I7 processor. I am generally very fond of Avast, having used it a few years ago to get rid of a fairly bad virus, one of those that say they are ~ Windows defender and if I would pay for a year's subscription it would get rid of the huge number of viruses on my machine. I installed Avast and ran it and the problem went away. A couple of my friends said they needed outside help to get rid of that kind of malware. But lately since I started a free trial of the more enthusiastic version of Avast, sometimes I try to print and the printer says I ain't workin here no more, I am offline. Re-starting the printer does not fix the problem, but re-starting the PC does. So, I am going to conclude that the free trial was not successful and let the subscription run out. I have not tried to pin it down to which part of the software is responsible; there is never time to do anything.

Offline Rednose

• Pirate Party Member
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Bits of Freedom : https://www.bof.nl
    • Nederlandstalig Avast! forum
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2016, 10:08:16 PM »
Hi Cauthon75, welcome to the forum :)

When you are using Avast IS or Premier and having problems with a network printer, try this :

Avast - Settings - Components - Firewall - Customise - Policies - and under "Preferences" select "Internet Connection Sharing mode" - OK.

It usually solves such problems.

Greetz, Red.
Real Time: Avast Premium Security
On Demand: Malwarebytes
VPN: NordVPN ( NordLynx ) with Threat Protection ( Lite )

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2017, 02:08:13 AM »
i tried your way and it work thank you but i wasn't 100% sure this was the only solution for it, so in the same box has you are talking about (firewall policies) in system rules, i notice that my "Allow Window Files and Printer sharing " was disable, i unable it and it work.