Author Topic: General Avast! questions  (Read 5606 times)

galaxyclass

General Avast! questions
« on: December 02, 2003, 01:22:14 AM »
Since installing Avast! I've had some questions I'd like answered about the general functions of Avast! I also have a few questions regarding the use of the forum but I'll post those in a separate thread in General. The questions are below:

1. Does the boot-time scan count as a scan of my comp. (HD, all files also), or would I have to do a separate scan?

2. Can I update the program and still continue with the remaining days in my demo period?

3. Does the explorer extension only come with the purchased versions of Avast?

3b. If the explorer extn. is available in the free version where can I view the results of the scans? (I assume the explorer extn. is the option in the right-click mouse menu which enables me to scan individual files/areas?)

4. Is Avast! compatible with a Windows XP Home limited account? From what I've seen it does but I'd like a definite answer on this one.

5. I've noticed on the Introductory Help Window which is shown after the launch of the Simple User Interface that there is a tiny check box at the end of the Alwil copyright details. Does it have a use or is it just an error in the code because when I click on it I can toggle it.

The last one was a strange question but I'll better understand the program if these Q's are answered. :)

Thanks.

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
Re:General Avast! questions
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2003, 01:43:01 AM »
ill awnser the ones I can:

A #1 No the boot time scan dows not on my computer
A #2 I am eval. the pro version now you can update it at will  ;)
A #3 It is in the pro and home version
A #3b yes I used the home version it is included I dont know about the log
A#4 It runs on a limited account but there are update problems

I am hapy with the home but an trying pro to see if its worth the money I dont know number 5 I hope I was of help to you
« Last Edit: December 02, 2003, 01:43:19 AM by MacLover2000 »
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Offline MWassef

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2003, 03:07:45 AM »
3b: you only see results after scan (as illustrated in the attached pic), you can see this picture by choosing:
Settings >> Common >> Show results of Explorer Extension.
I do not think there is a log file for it  ::)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2003, 03:11:55 AM by minacross »
MW

Offline MWassef

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2003, 03:13:35 AM »
5. yes, if you checked this option the intro. help will not appeare the next time you open avast on-demand scanner..
you can view it by choosing Introductory Help from the main menu .. :)
MW

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2003, 03:17:36 AM »
thank you minacross for the awnser to the 5th question. I was "in the dark"  :-\
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Offline MWassef

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2003, 03:19:48 AM »
your welcome  ;D
MW

galaxyclass

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2003, 03:31:16 PM »
I was sure I saw the boot-time scan going over the files in my HD too, but that might be doing something I don't quite understand.

Minacross, I know about the option to turn of the Introductory help but I was referring to a separate tiny checkbox right at the bottom of the window at the end of the Alwil copyright notice, like I said it's probably just an error in the code?

Thanks MacLover2000 and Minacross for answering my questions, this novice really appreciates it. ;)

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2003, 05:28:02 PM »
OK I'll try to say something as well :)

1. Does the boot-time scan count as a scan of my comp. (HD, all files also), or would I have to do a separate scan?

Absolutely! The boot-time scan is a full-blown scanner. Its only limitation is somewhat narrower range of supported archives/packers, but the basic scanning capabality is identical to the Win32 scanner.

2. Can I update the program and still continue with the remaining days in my demo period?

Yes, of course. Basically, you have 60 days to evaluate our products, and during this period, everything should work the same way as with a commercial license.

3. Does the explorer extension only come with the purchased versions of Avast?

No, it's part of both avast Professional and avast Home.

3b. If the explorer extn. is available in the free version where can I view the results of the scans? (I assume the explorer extn. is the option in the right-click mouse menu which enables me to scan individual files/areas?)

Already answered nicely by Technical.

4. Is Avast! compatible with a Windows XP Home limited account? From what I've seen it does but I'd like a definite answer on this one.

I don't know what you mean by XP Home limited account (oh, you mean an account with non-admin rights?) -- sure.

5. I've noticed on the Introductory Help Window which is shown after the launch of the Simple User Interface that there is a tiny check box at the end of the Alwil copyright details. Does it have a use or is it just an error in the code because when I click on it I can toggle it.

Hehe yeah, that's something we don't seem to be able to get rid of, it's the HTMLHelp automation control - even if we set its display size to 0x0 pixels, it's being displayed... :-\

Take care,
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

galaxyclass

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2003, 02:56:57 PM »
Thanks for clearing those few things up Vlk, the last question was just me being nit-picky! I made sure I explored the whole program and when I saw the checkbox I was confused.;)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2003, 02:57:57 PM by notdarkyet »