Author Topic: Using Web Shield with Me  (Read 2658 times)

DizzyBlonde

Using Web Shield with Me
« on: January 08, 2006, 02:59:35 AM »
Hi~~

In reading FAQ, I just now discovered that Web Shield does not work with Me without some setting changes in LAN. Sure enough~~my web shield shows 0 in scanned count.

Now, I am concerned about making the changes in LAN because maybe my DSL will not work after I make the changes.  How can I be sure that making those changes won't cause my DSL connections to fail??

Thanks for any help!!

DizzyBlonde :)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Using Web Shield with Me
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2006, 03:11:38 AM »
DizzyBlonde, you can take screenshots before and get back if you need.
PrintScreen the desktop, open Word and paste there the contents (you can try CRTL+ALT+PrintScreen too).
Anyway I see no reason for troubles.

FAQ about WebShield
http://avast.com/eng/faq-home-webshield.html
http://www.avast.com/eng/webshield_issues.html#idt_6874
http://www.avast.com/eng/webshield_issues.html#idt_6870
The best things in life are free.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2006, 03:41:36 PM »
You aren't changing settings to your LAN in respect to the DSL, you are making changes to your browser to use web shields proxy. This will have no effect to your DSL connection.

Extract from avast! help file (well worth a read ;D) Resident protection, Web Shied provider Settings:
Proxy server setting for Windows 95, 98, and Millennium using the local area network (LAN):

Internet Explorer:

Start Internet Explorer.
Select Tools ® Internet Options... from the main menu.
Switch to page Connections.
Click on the LAN Settings... button.
Check the option Use a proxy server for your LAN
Write localhost into the Adress field (alternatively, you can enter IP address 127.0.0.1, which is the same as localhost).
Enter 12080 into the Port field.
Confirm with OK button.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

DizzyBlonde

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2006, 11:16:08 PM »
Proxy server setting for Windows 95, 98, and Millennium using the local area network (LAN):

Internet Explorer:

Start Internet Explorer.
Select Tools ® Internet Options... from the main menu.
Switch to page Connections.
Click on the LAN Settings... button.
Check the option Use a proxy server for your LAN
Write localhost into the Adress field (alternatively, you can enter IP address 127.0.0.1, which is the same as localhost).
Enter 12080 into the Port field.
Confirm with OK button.

Hi DavidR

Well that was easy, and (as you said),  has not affected my DSL connection at all.  ;D  So, now my web shield is showing the scanned count, and so far has not adversly affected my surf speed or opening programs/pages.  (I thought once it was working, it might slow down my surf speed.)

Extract from avast! help file (well worth a read ) Resident protection, Web Shied provider Settings:

I had read the directions for setting up Web Shield for Me in Avast! FAQ, (prior to posting) but was still concerned that doing it might adversly affect my DSL. ::)
(I do read Avast help and search the forum for answers before posting.)

Thanks so much for your help!!

DizzyBlonde :)

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2006, 01:29:20 AM »
No problem, glad you have it sorted now.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security