Author Topic: General forum questions  (Read 12086 times)

galaxyclass

General forum questions
« on: December 02, 2003, 01:47:59 AM »
Since signing up for the forum I've had a few questions I'd like answered (YaBB doesn't help this problem much with their flimsy help section), so what follows are the questions I have about this forum:

1. In the login screen, there is a "Session Length In Minutes" area, am I right in thinking if I want to stay logged in permanently I just check the box and ignore the above?

2. In the section where you type out your post there is an option to be notified about replies, how are you notified exactly?

3. In the same section mentioned above there is an option to disable smilies, it says to check if I'll be adding code but what code does it mean, YaBB code?

4. How does the stars under the posters name work, also how are titles e.g "Global Moderator" obtained? I assume the titles are given by the mods?

5. When registering I couldn't find a privacy policy which describes how YaBB uses my personal information, does anyone know where I can find this info?

6. Something I thought of while searching for guidlines on how to post was if the mods made a sticky detailing how to post and what details to give when people were having problems with Avast! e.g OS, Avast version, this would help the experts and speed up the time that help could be given. Another Idea would be an FAQ answering the most common questions regarding Avast!.

Thanks,
notdarkyet

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
Re:General forum questions
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2003, 01:51:39 AM »
a faq is avalible at

http://www.avast.com/i_kat_81.html for version 4
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

techie101

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2003, 02:40:51 AM »
1. In the login screen, there is a "Session Length In Minutes" area, am I right in thinking if I want to stay logged in permanently I just check the box and ignore the above?
Yes.  Checking the box will keep you signed in until you log off your system.

2. In the section where you type out your post there is an option to be notified about replies, how are you notified exactly?
You will receive an email from Avast Forum with a link which will take you to the last reply to the post.

3. In the same section mentioned above there is an option to disable smilies, it says to check if I'll be adding code but what code does it mean, YaBB code?
Disabling smilies does just that...no little faces allowed.  ;D
The code refers to not only YaBB code but any html you may choose to use (such as when entering URLs)

4. How does the stars under the posters name work,
The stars are accumulated depending on how many posts you enter in the forum.

also how are titles e.g "Global Moderator" obtained?
Our Global Moderator, VLK is the head guru.  He is the seeing eye dog around here. haha
I am not sure exactly how he ascended to his throne, but we like having him there.  ;)

5. When registering I couldn't find a privacy policy which describes how YaBB uses my personal information, does anyone know where I can find this info?
Um,  That's a good one.  I don't think I have seen anything on that.  The only "personal" information provided is the email address your enter during the registration process.
The forum is an open forum, so you always need to "restrict" the personal information you supply to anyone.
Keep in mind that YaBB is "forum software" which can be purchased by anyone and a bulletin board set up by the board's "Administrator" who sets the conditions of use.
If you didn't figure it out yet....
YaBB stands for "yet another bulletin board".  Clever huh! haha

6. Something I thought of while searching for guidlines on how to post was if the mods made a sticky detailing how to post and what details to give when people were having problems with Avast! e.g OS, Avast version,
An excellent idea!  I will refer this to one of our moderators.

Another Idea would be an FAQ answering the most common questions regarding Avast!.
MacLover has been kind enough to provide the Avast link.
Unfortuantley, the questions on Avast are far and wide.  It would be quite lenghty to have the FAQ cover all possible scenarios.  That is why we have the Avast Forum which is one of the best around...bar none!!!

I hope all you questions have been answered.

Good luck and welcome

techie101

« Last Edit: December 02, 2003, 02:57:28 AM by techie101 »

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2003, 03:15:29 AM »
yes I knew that off the top of my head. Let me add that on the start you get 2 and become a jr.member in the 20s and 3 stars and a full member in the low 100s (thats me)
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

galaxyclass

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2003, 03:42:42 PM »
yes I knew that off the top of my head. Let me add that on the start you get 2 and become a jr.member in the 20s and 3 stars and a full member in the low 100s (thats me)

OK, no need to show off MacLover. :P

But seriously, thanks for the help and warm welcome guys, and I'd forgot I'd already seen the FAQ on the main site however I'm still critical about the help YaBB supplies to new users.

PS Would you know anywhere I can find explainations of the YaBB code tags, the basic help doesn't describe some of the more advanced ones.

Thanks,
notdarkyet.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2003, 09:56:57 PM »
i do not know of any place  :-[ techie? do you know
« Last Edit: December 02, 2003, 09:57:33 PM by MacLover2000 »

techie101

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2003, 05:19:35 AM »
No, I have only seen the ones presented in the YaBB Help.

May I suggest asking on their forum.

If I get a few moments, I will see if I can come up with some additional information.

Ok?

techie

galaxyclass

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2003, 03:02:49 PM »
No, I have only seen the ones presented in the YaBB Help.

May I suggest asking on their forum.

I might just do that.

If I get a few moments, I will see if I can come up with some additional information.

Ok?

techie

I always try to research any problem myself before bringing it to the forum but any extra help is appreciated. If you find out anything else let me know.

Thanks,
notdarkyet.

techie101

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2003, 10:41:21 PM »

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2003, 01:11:30 AM »
I was gonna post a link to a great set of pages for UBB code, which looks very similar to YaBB -- but I can't find where they hid the danged thing on me.   :P

Question of my own, while I'm here -- apparently if you edit ("modify", I think YaBB calls it) a post some time later, it doesn't change the Latest Post info.

Actually this is almost a Poll topic -- assuming YaBB setup permitted it, wouldn't it be handier to have some kind of front-page indication that there's in effect a more recent version of the same posting?

Best to all,
Mike

(Later) Found the page I was looking for, with an explanation of UBB coding, at MGH BrainTalk, one of the support groups I'm active with.  It's not as comprehensive as I remember (what else is new?).

One of the resident wiz's might like to take a quick look at it and let us know if there's any significant differences from YaBB we should know about.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2003, 04:33:37 AM by MikeBCda »
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

Gwen

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2003, 07:42:51 AM »
"Not dark yet", what a great handle..wish I'd thought of it myself!  

What wonderful points you have made. Would like to see some of them implemented here in the Forum myself.

The answers were equally great with spectacular attention to detail.  Obviously some keen listeners here. :-)

Will be following this closely and watch what develops.

Very helpful bunch of people.

Now what was I looking for?  

Gwen
« Last Edit: December 05, 2003, 07:44:49 AM by Gwen »