Author Topic: Should I consider looking for a different antivirus program  (Read 15778 times)

REDACTED

Should I consider looking for a different antivirus program
« on: April 16, 2016, 02:08:38 AM »
HI I would like to ask a question about avast free and its ability to detect and block viruses or malware in general.  I would like to now if avast free's detection of internet threats is just average in detecting and blocking internet threats to make sure they do not get on to my new desktop computer.  This has recently got me thinking about how well avast free is doing in terms of protecting my desktop computer from getting a virus in the past.  I also wanted to ask the avast forum this question because on the avast forum recently their is a topic on the avast forum discussing the overall detection of avast free in general and also how disorganized the avast company is recently.  So I was just curious in thinking of some opinions on this topic and whether I should look into other antivirus products or stay with avast free.  But I must say that I have over the years got the odd virus on my desktop computer and I do now other people who have switched to other antivirus programs simply because avast free did not do its job and block the virus from getting on to their computer in the first place. 

Offline bigwilly_312000

Re: Should I consider looking for a different antivirus program
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2016, 02:44:21 AM »
no antivirus software (either paid or free) is 100% perfect at detecting viruses & spyware.  and new threats are released into the wild everyday.
you just have to use your own judgement in selecting the best antivirus software for your computer.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2016, 03:38:32 AM »
I also wanted to ask the avast forum this question because on the avast forum recently their is a topic on the avast forum discussing the overall detection of avast free in general and also how disorganized the avast company is recently.  So I was just curious in thinking of some opinions on this topic and whether I should look into other antivirus products or stay with avast free. 
As you say there is already a topic about this, where these opinions are debated so no need to start a new topic

Offline Shaun985

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2016, 04:36:31 AM »
If you go to sites like https://www.av-test.org and http://www.av-comparatives.org you can see how Avast ranks in comparison to others like Bitdefender and Avira.

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2016, 10:24:18 AM »
So one virus gets through and you jump ship.Typical customer loyalty at its finest i dont think.
I am afraid that if that is your mentality about antivirus software then you may as well not bother with any at all as none of them are 100% perfect and users sadly expect them to be and if they do not fit their expectations then they jump ship.

I could suggest other av software to you but i feel it would be a waste of time as you seem to expect av vendors to perform miracles and produce a bulletproof solution.

No av can protect a wreckless user. :D

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2016, 12:10:15 PM »
I have been using Avast now since 4.6  and my total infections so far are zero..  I do go to some dodgy sites as well when I am doing investigations.  So in my experience it works

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2016, 02:34:57 PM »
I have been using Avast now since 4.6  and my total infections so far are zero..  I do go to some dodgy sites as well when I am doing investigations.  So in my experience it works

Snap, I haven't had a single infection since installing avast free in March/April 2004. I too investigate some sites in the course of helping on the forums (this is on this live system, not a test bed system).

So I look at my own personal experience when making any decision on what AV I use.

Generally I don't follow comparative sites, etc. or you end up following trends rather than personal experience.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Patrick2

• Poster
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2016, 02:41:55 PM »
Well the reason I first started using avast free back in 2005 was after trying a compeitors beta program and going to a bunch of dodgy websites, ended up with a very bad boot sector virus, while Avast did it's best cleaning it at the time, unforuately wasn't able to clean all of it.   Ended up losing Motherboard, original PC hard drive, and had to get a new CPU Processor at the time. 

Ever since then been using Avast Free Steady just about, briefly tried Microsofts product again in 2009, then eventually came back to Avast

Now I practice better safety, no more dodgy sites, no more beta antivirus from other companies lol, secondary scanning from Malwarebytes or online scan once in a while,  Overall though it's personal preference which antivirus stay with on your computer, basically what you feel comfortable with using in layman terms

Windows 10 Pro 64bit 1909 18363.476, Intel I7 7700 Nvidia Geforce 1050 16gb DDR4, WD 250GBSSD, 1tb Storage, Avast Free 19.8.2393
HP Omen Laptop Intel I7 7700HQ, 8gb Of Ram Windows 10 Home x64 1909 18363.476 128GB SSD, 1tb Storage, Avast Free 19.8.2393

Offline Staticguy

• Super Poster
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2016, 03:38:35 PM »
I have been and still I am a loyal customer to avast. I have been using Avast since the first release of version 7 and the final verdict is that not one single malware came into my laptop.
DELL Inspiron 15" 7000 Gaming, Windows 10 Home Version 21H1 (OS Build 19043.1237), Trend Micro Maximum Security 2021 (17.0.1333), Avast SecureLine VPN (5.12.5655), Windows Firewall, Unchecky 1.2

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2016, 04:20:57 PM »
+1
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Tangy

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2016, 06:25:04 PM »
I have been using Avast ever since it looked like a portable radio. In conjunction with my safe surfing habits up to a certain extend, never got infected. Never change a winning team they say.
OS:Win xpsp3 pro, CPU:2.8 GHz, Ram:4 Gb HD:500 Gb,Avastfree18.8.22356,OSArmor,Basilisk+NewMoon(Roytam1),ublockorigin,Adguard, SystemExplorer, MCShield, MBAM on demand, FW:PC Tools Plus ,WinPat,Decentraleyes,privacy badger,minerblock.
OS : Windows 7 pro 64bits Avast free Malwarebytes antiexploit

Offline Lotan

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2016, 07:36:49 PM »
ive been with avast for a while now and the only negative thing i can say is that it has too much bloatware to it and the fact that it keeps trying to install things like the safeprice addon for web browsers which pesters me every now and again as it tries to quietly install itself under my nose, dispite me disabling it in the options.

REDACTED

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2016, 01:52:22 AM »
hI I would just like to say that I am really sorry I made anybody upset I just wanted some help and advice that was all I really wanted to some advice.  I am sorry I made any one up set.

I am really sorry

thanks for the advice.

REDACTED

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2016, 02:08:41 AM »
Been with avast for many years,cant thank them enough for offering a great free product,no virus problems at all.

Apart from occasional slow done internet browsing with online security in Firefox.

And no pestering pop ups for weeks to upgrade,looks like they are listening to the customers....

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2016, 07:14:05 AM »
Hey Diddy, no need to apologize.  'Tis normal to think the grass is greener on the other side even when it is not. 

Best thing to say here is that Avast has, over the years, since version 4.8, protected my (several systems) successfully, and can't report an infection anywhere.  But the best protection is often oneself, tho.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801