Author Topic: Avast background service keeps stopping  (Read 20509 times)

REDACTED

Avast background service keeps stopping
« on: April 16, 2016, 12:52:37 PM »
Free Avast background service keeps stopping every ~20 minutes.  An "X" appears on the taskbar Avast icon.

This problem was already brought to this forum in November 2015.  Message advised me to re-start the topic.

I have spent a lot of time trying all the things that were suggested then, without results:

--Made sure I had the latest version
--Ran a "repair" from the Windows 7 Programs and Features list
--Uninstalled Avast as completely as I could and reinstalled the software.  Rebooted at least twice.
--The Avast service "properties" in the Windows services list could be set to always restart the service when it stops, but the user has no access to changing the properties of the Avast service

I've been using Avast a long time but never had this problem before.  If there's no solution I'll have to turn to another virus shield. 

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Avast background service keeps stopping
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2016, 01:03:43 PM »
Please provide the Farbar log files (FRST.txt and Addition.txt)
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53253.0

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2016, 10:06:15 PM »
Eddy, A search  for "Farbar,"  "FRST.txt," and "Addition.txt" has not turned up any of these items.  I also looked manually at the Avast folder in "Program Files"  without result.  Can you give me an idea of where those files are supposed to be? Thanks

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2016, 01:04:12 AM »
Why searching?
Just follow the instructions in the link I gave you.

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2016, 01:46:26 AM »
OK, the two files are attached.

(I saw a topic # on the link you sent so I assumed it was a link to this page.)

Wow, that's a pretty complete scan.

Thanks

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2016, 03:51:33 PM »
Hmm a few of these 
Error: (04/17/2016 05:06:14 PM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (EventID: 7031) (User: )
Description: The Avast Antivirus service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 1 time(s).  The following corrective action will be taken in 5000 milliseconds: Restart the service.

Lets run this fix and see what happens ... If it fails we will try a full re-install

CAUTION :  This fix is only valid for this specific machine, using it on another may break your computer

Open notepad and copy/paste the text in the quotebox below into it:

CreateRestorePoint:
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings: [ProxySettingsPerUser] 0 <======= ATTENTION (Restriction - ProxySettings)
ProxyServer: [HKLM] => http=127.0.0.1:53189;https=127.0.0.1:53189
ProxyServer: [HKLM-x32] => http=127.0.0.1:53189;https=127.0.0.1:53189
AutoConfigURL: [HKLM] => http=127.0.0.1:53189;https=127.0.0.1:53189
R1 avgtp; C:\Windows\system32\drivers\avgtpx64.sys [50976 2014-08-19] (AVG Technologies)
Task: {684C422E-1FD8-4707-A102-C8820AD649B1} - System32\Tasks\OwnMyCopy-Task-228a7258 => C:\ProgramData\OwnMyCopy\OwnMyCopy.exe <==== ATTENTION
Task: {D9AE89BA-46DD-4573-ABAA-B5A8BCD51DAC} - System32\Tasks\OwnMyCopy-Task-704afefb => C:\ProgramData\OwnMyCopy\OwnMyCopy.exe <==== ATTENTION
Task: {E9B809B2-D1DA-4CFD-8535-9A034EC95008} - System32\Tasks\{9502AAB4-83F5-44E8-AC6F-F0F670D07912} => C:\Users\ABF\Start Menu\Programs\PROTECTION\PAVARK.exe
Reg: reg delete HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\IPSec\Policy\Local /f
Reg: reg add HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\IPSec\Policy\Local /f
RemoveProxy:
CMD: netsh advfirewall reset
CMD: netsh advfirewall set allprofiles state ON
CMD: ipconfig /flushdns
CMD: netsh winsock reset catalog
CMD: netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt
CMD: ipconfig /release
CMD: ipconfig /renew
CMD: netsh int ipv4 reset
CMD: netsh int ipv6 reset
EmptyTemp:
CMD: bitsadmin /reset /allusers

Save this as fixlist.txt, in the same location as FRST.exe

Run FRST and press Fix
On completion a log will be generated please post that

THEN

Please download AdwCleaner by Xplode onto your desktop.
  • Close all open programs and internet browsers.
  • Double click on AdwCleaner.exe to run the tool.
  • Click on Scan.
  • After the scan is complete click on "Clean"
  • Confirm each time with Ok.
  • Your computer will be rebooted automatically. A text file will open after the restart.
  • Please post the content of that logfile with your next answer.
  • You can find the logfile at C:\AdwCleaner[S0].txt as well.

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2016, 11:16:21 AM »
Thanks Essexboy.   I ran FRST using the fixlist you sent me.  The fixlog is attached.

Several attempts to download the ADW cleaner were unsuccessful.  I proceeded to again try reinstalling Avast, but after uninstalling it I found a way to download the cleaner and ran it even though Avast was no longer on the computer.  I did not find the ADW log file you mentioned at the exact location you gave or with the exact name but I found two log files in a similar location with similar names and I'm attaching them.

As I mentioned in my first posting to this forum, I had already uninstalled and reinstalled Avast before posting.  I removed it as thoroughly as I could, but after the new installation the background program was still stopping every ~20 minutes.  Today I again uninstalled the program, and then removed all the Avast folders I could find, and did a registry cleaning.  Then I downloaded Avast from your site and reinstalled it (after running the ADW cleaner, as mentioned).  I'm afraid the Avast service still stops about every 20 minutes.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2016, 03:56:33 PM »
Did you use the Avast uninstall utility ?

Download Avast Uninstall Utility to your Desktop.
Download the correct version of Avast 
Avast Free
Avast Pro
Avast Internet Security
Avast Premier
Disconnect from the net
Uninstall Avast via control panel

• Run the uninstall tool and accept the reboot to safe mode
  • Once complete reboot your system
  • Reinstall Avast
----------

REDACTED

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2016, 11:19:45 PM »
Thanks for your help. I never did try the Avast uninstaller, but switched to AVG free antivirus.  And one of the AVG background services also kept stopping.  The problem appears to have been in the computer--among others.  But I'm now using another computer--and Avast free anti-virus without any issues so far.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 10:06:32 PM by abf317 »

REDACTED

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2016, 09:53:47 PM »
Thanks to everyone for the information.

I had the same problem with Avast background service stopping every half hour or so on my Windows 7 PC. I tried to the repair the program using the uninstall utility. When that didn't work I uninstalled and reinstall Avast using control panel.

I recently installed a Virtual Private Network on my computer. That appears to have been the problem. When I turned off the VPN, the background service problem went away.

I turned on the VPN, then did the following:

1. Opened the Avast user interface.

2. Selected "Settings"

3. Selected "Update"

4. Scrolled down to "Proxy Settings"
     a. Clicked "Specify proxy server"
     b. Selected the "Type:" (in my case HTTP)
     c. Copied the IP Address from my VPN service Dashboard and pasted it to "Address:"
     d. I didn't need to change the "Port:" number from "8080"
     e. Selected "Authentication Type:" (in my case Basic authentication (plaintext))
     f. Entered "Username" and "Password" for my VPN.

Everything is now working fine.

REDACTED

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2016, 08:14:18 PM »
Forgive me for asking this.  But, does Avast plan on developing new software that will "fix" this issue permanently - so that the complicated fixes mentioned in this thread are no longer necessary?  If so, is there an anticipated release date?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2016, 05:27:45 AM »
There is nothing to fix since nothing is broken.
Both problem where not with avast.

The first one was with a broken Windows, the second one was the user at fault (not setting up things correctly)

REDACTED

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2016, 05:48:09 AM »
There is nothing to fix since nothing is broken.
Both problem where not with avast.

The first one was with a broken Windows, the second one was the user at fault (not setting up things correctly)

Perhaps.  But nonetheless, I have the same problem on my 64-bit Windows 7 system.  I've decided that now is a good time to upgrade to a pro-level antivirus.  Of course, this rules out Avast's pro-level offering.  If this problem is evident in the free version, there's no reason to expect it to not be there in the pro version.

In any case, I've downloaded the "avastclear.exe" Avast-remover software ... and have also downloaded the pro version of WebRoot antivirus (recommended by PC magazine).  If I encounter similar problems with it, then I guess I'll be back to square-one.  But somehow, I don't expect that to happen.

REDACTED

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2016, 08:20:56 PM »
This will probably be my last post here.  It's now been 12 days since I switched from Avast Free antivirus to Webroot SecureAnywhere pro antivirus software.  And in that time, I've noticed 2 things:

1) I'm no longer having issues similar to the issues I had with Avast Free ... and no "new" issues either.
2) A daily security issue I was having with my Thunderbird email utility simply "disappeared" once I dumped Avast Free.

So, whether this issue was a Windows issue or a user issue is a moot point now.

REDACTED

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2016, 02:28:27 AM »
I just started having the same issue multiple times today on Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1... the Avast service is stopping itself, and I see a red warning icon in the task area.

Only recent changes were installation (today) of the following via Windows Update:
KB3179573 - Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems
KB915597 - Definition Update for Windows Defender (Definition 1.227.123.0)