Author Topic: Avast background service keeps stopping  (Read 20500 times)

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
Re: Avast background service keeps stopping
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2016, 02:41:39 AM »
Can you please go to settings / update and hit the Update virus defitions button. That should fix it.

REDACTED

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2016, 04:03:10 AM »
OK. Seems I have a new Avast version available as well! (Nitro)
Thanks.

REDACTED

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2016, 08:13:53 AM »
I have the same issue and it's truly appalling that some forum members dismiss it as our own problem while ignoring there are a couple of threads here in the forum illustrating the issue. Before ruling this out as a non-issue, I suggest you look into this matter. If you are not an Avast employee, I do not think you have a say in whether or not this is a universal/personal problem.

Regarding this issue, I have been using a couple of methods other than reinstalling. I've tried repairing the software and restarting my PC. I've tried initiating full virus scan but this problem re-emerged during the scans and stopped my scans completely. I updated my AV's virus definition (and the program itself) with no avail. I resetted my AV's settings to default. I am using Avast Internet Security (free trial) on Windows 10 (64 bits). Before anyone asks if this happens on Avast Free Antivirus, the answer is yes, even before I switched to Avast Internet Security few hours ago.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2016, 08:50:07 AM by deity »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2016, 08:26:01 AM »
deity, if you want support please start your own thread and provide details.

If you have read this thread you would know that although the problem might be the same, the cause of it can be different.
One person had malware on his system, the second one was using a wrong setting and the third one did not had avast up-to-date.

Note:
If you only want someone from avast to respond, you should not be posting on a public webboard.

REDACTED

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2016, 09:02:03 AM »
deity, if you want support please start your own thread and provide details.

If you have read this thread you would know that although the problem might be the same, the cause of it can be different.
One person had malware on his system, the second one was using a wrong setting and the third one did not had avast up-to-date.

Note:
If you only want someone from avast to respond, you should not be posting on a public webboard.

You misunderstood my comment but I don't really blame you.

Yes I do realize the causes of the same problem can be different but do you read the latest comments in NEW August versions: 12.3.2279 + 2280? Many different people report the same problem and it is not a coincidence this is happening. I saw at least 3 threads in this forum section stating the same problem and in most of these threads Avast employees pointed out it was a bug on their virus definition or whatever update they have published. I got this issue 5 hours ago and although I cannot reproduce the issue for the time being (in the process of full virus scan), I am worried this problem may pop up again as it just happened approximately one hour ago. Early on a message popped up from Avast stating a program was attempting to shut down Avast and asked if I authorized it. It is scary enough to see the possibility of a potential malware trying to wreck my system.

Now I am not sure if my problem is on Avast's side or my side but you won't understand the paranoia unless you experience this problem first hand without any clues to what is happening. I hope you understand.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2016, 09:09:07 AM »
I wouldn't worry.
avast is aware of the problem and is closely monitoring this webboard at the moment.

It seems that (at least for some people) running a manual VPS update solved the problem.

Paranoia ?
In over 34 years, I've had my share of problems with computers.
No clue(s) about what is causing the problem is a good moment to start learning. ;)

Keep in mind that it is just a computer.
If it fails, you will not die :)

Offline avaster78

« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2016, 09:10:12 AM »
This happened to me after updeting to 2280. Only once so far.
Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit. Avast Free Latest. Opera (Chromium). SpywareBlaster 5.5. Windows 10 Firewall Control Free 64-bit (together w/ Windows Firewall). HW: HP G5139sc - Athlon II X2 220 2.8 GHz - 4 GB (Dual-channel). VDSL2 Modem Router w/ Firewall. Internet 50Mbs.

REDACTED

« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2016, 12:28:18 PM »
Happening to me on an older build of Avast! as well, so it's not limited to only the current latest build. (11.2.2262 here) and not only to Windows 10 either, as I'm on Windows 7 Home 64 bit SP1.

Sometimes when the service fails, it restarts itself, and today, it did what it does to everyone else... it stopped the service but did not restart it and I had to manually restart it myself.

Offline suk

• Avast team
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2016, 12:51:52 PM »
Could you check if you have the latest program update (12.3.2280, build 3154.0) and virus definition (160820-0 - released today - or higher - it's in YYMMDD-# format).
Let me know, if it's still happening after update.

REDACTED

« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2016, 12:56:49 PM »
Could you check if you have the latest program update (12.3.2280, build 3154.0) and virus definition (160820-0 - released today - or higher - it's in YYMMDD-# format).
Let me know, if it's still happening after update.

I don't have the latest program version, as I don't want to update to it yet... but I do have the current latest definitions. I will see if it does it again today, but I'm pretty sure it will... Avast!'s behaviour in general has changed... as of today... sometimes the updater (instup.exe) doesn't even try to update on startup at all and such things like that...
« Last Edit: August 20, 2016, 12:59:37 PM by Braver »

REDACTED

« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2016, 01:31:07 PM »
Is there any particular reason why you are asking about the virus definitions? I thought the virus definitions were only to give the program a database of viruses that it can detect... does it really affect the programs behaviour as well?

I'm not sure because I don't know anything about the programming of the program... Either way... the definitions are fully updated for today so... if it happens again I dunno what to do.

REDACTED

« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2016, 01:32:59 PM »
To follow up with my results...
I started having this issue spontaneously yesterday... the service died 3 times without restarting itself.

I posted here and was advised to update the virus definitions. When I went to settings, there was no definitions update available. I theorize that Avast had already auto-updated itself again since the problem started, as I had not actually had the problem occur again for a couple of hours as of the time of my posting. There was however a program update available (I was on an 11.x version), and I installed it.

As of now, I am not having the problem anymore for the last 12 hours. My versions are:
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1
Avast 12.3.2280 (build 12.3.3154.0)
Virus Definitions 160820-0

Offline suk

• Avast team
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2016, 03:21:32 PM »
Is there any particular reason why you are asking about the virus definitions? I thought the virus definitions were only to give the program a database of viruses that it can detect... does it really affect the programs behaviour as well?

I'm not sure because I don't know anything about the programming of the program... Either way... the definitions are fully updated for today so... if it happens again I dunno what to do.

I apologize for the troubles.

Based on the info that people provided (thanks a lot!!!) it looks like the issue was in one of the dynamic libraries that are delivered together with virus database (it contains both static definitions as well as dynamic code).

That particular issue was fixed in 160820-0 - released today around noon CET.

Since it happened on specific configurations only (we believed it was fixed in previous version already, but apparently it was still there), we need your feedback.

If it's still happening after the update, please let us know. Details like version (AV/Virus definition), Windows version, logs or dumps are very useful. Specifically in cases like this, when it's hard to reproduce.

Thanks again for reporting it and have a nice (and hopefully not nerve-racking) weekend.

Pavel

REDACTED

« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2016, 04:29:01 PM »

I apologize for the troubles.

Based on the info that people provided (thanks a lot!!!) it looks like the issue was in one of the dynamic libraries that are delivered together with virus database (it contains both static definitions as well as dynamic code).

That particular issue was fixed in 160820-0 - released today around noon CET.

Since it happened on specific configurations only (we believed it was fixed in previous version already, but apparently it was still there), we need your feedback.

If it's still happening after the update, please let us know. Details like version (AV/Virus definition), Windows version, logs or dumps are very useful. Specifically in cases like this, when it's hard to reproduce.

Thanks again for reporting it and have a nice (and hopefully not nerve-racking) weekend.

Pavel

Thanks for the informative reply. I have updated the virus definitions to the latest today (160820-0) and so far there has been no errors. (had the current login session of windows so far for a few hours with no errors as of yet)

I will continue to monitor the system to make sure it doesn't happen again... but so far it's looking fairly promising.

REDACTED

« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2016, 05:12:02 PM »
If it's still happening after the update, please let us know.

I'm sorry to bother you but here the issue remains..

- XP SP3 on a i7: my motherboard is a z97-a, found on the internet modified drivers for the chipset to make xp see ahci drives, all works well since this issue.

- pc have multiboot with win7 and win10, everyone on a different phisical disk, with the boot manager in the win7 disk.

- definitions and program up to date today, i have already deleted, reinstalled, repaired, rebooted, ecc :)

avast service won't start alone at the boot, i have to manually start it via services.msc. After that, no problems until next reboot.

strange thing is that avast icon is there immediately after windows show me the deskop, but i can't interact with it for 30 seconds (the time set by xp to see if the service starts) and then the red X appears. The event viewer mark this error about 1-2 seconds after boot, even if i set the delay to load avast services in the avast troubleshooting menu

UPDATE: i reUNinstalled with your application and then reinstalled it. Still i do not know if it works..

During install on the event viewer there are some errors regarding avast:

the message is marked "Sidebyside": Impossibile trovare assemblaggio dipendente Avast.VC110.CRT e l'ultimo errore è stato L'assembly a cui si fa riferimento non è installato nel computer.

i know it's italian, but say more or less : unable to find dependancy of assembly Avast.VC110.CRT and the last error was: assembly not installed in the computer.

VC110 seems related to visual studio, i do never have it installed on this machine.

Thanks
« Last Edit: August 20, 2016, 11:37:45 PM by ninja.campione »