Author Topic: Silently uninstalling Avast for Business  (Read 5293 times)

REDACTED

Silently uninstalling Avast for Business
« on: April 16, 2016, 05:36:32 PM »
Hello,

I have a requirement that any software deployed onto our network be removable from our machines via our systems management tool. This way when we detect broken installations, etc, we can automatically remediate.

I can't seem to find a way to silently uninstall Avast for Business (Cloud). Avastclear.exe doesn't appear to support command line, the uninstall string in the registry doesn't appear to support silent uninstalls, etc.

It looks like awsclear.exe might work but that would require disabling self-protect which it looks like you can't do via the web console?

I know I can run the uninstall manually on the client and I know I can initiate an uninstall from the web console but we really need a way to silently remove the tool.

Ideas?

REDACTED

Re: Silently uninstalling Avast for Business
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2016, 02:55:08 AM »
I know I can run the uninstall manually on the client and I know I can initiate an uninstall from the web console but we really need a way to silently remove the tool.

Doesn't uninstall from the web console happen silently ?  Forgive me, I've never tried   ;D  I imagine the only user interaction is a prompt to reboot after the product is finished uninstalling though?

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2016, 04:07:04 PM »
Yes -- the uninstall from the web console is silent.

We would prefer the ability to initiate the uninstall from our systems management tool (System Center) or the like. If there is an issue with the Web UI, client isn't reporting anymore, client is in an airgapped network, etc we'd prefer to be able to kick off the uninstall from something other than the Web UI.

This appears to be possible using the uninstall app for the Mac client but we can't seem to figure out how to initiate it on the Windows side.

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2016, 03:20:19 AM »
I understand now, but don't think it's possible (at least it's not documented), since the Business Cloud product is designed for offsite management.  I'm sure it's been a question before but often remains unanswered or the thread goes stale.  I think silent uninstall is certainly a requested feature.

I would log a support ticket, but I dare say Business Cloud isn't the right product for your environment and you'd might have better luck with one of Avast's other endpoint products.

Good luck, and let us know how you solve it :)