Author Topic: GREEN SCREEN/TOOLBAR/NOTIFICATION AREA/DESKTOP ICON BOXES ECT?-HELP!  (Read 7558 times)

Southern Man

Hi all,downloaded avast today registered it and entered registration code from e-mail reply sent to me,all ok.
 Re-started pc and avast boot scanned and found some nasties and i selected delete,good so far.
 Read the info on avast ect ect ect,done VRDB scans for some time?,still doing it after 1 hour?,anyway,good so far.
 Done an update vdf all ok,but when i clicked on the BLUE AVAST ICON  jesus!,all went enviromently GREEN?,whats happened here?.
 I cannot send a screenshot sorry because i cannot get the desktop file saved to less than 236kb 36kb over the amount i can send and thats zipped?.
 Anyway i am rinning WINDOWS XP HOME SP2,512 mb,160GB,NVIDIA FX 5600 GRAPHICS CARD with all latest drivers enabled,all microsoft updates are current.
 I have done scans with other softwares to make sure i have no trojans/malware ect ect,i only have avpe as my main AV with resident shield enabled.
 As i mainly want AVAST as an independant AV scanner i have of course disabled the resident shield in AVAST in the custom setup so it does not run,i do not want any conflict with AVPE,and in fact AVAST did detected AVPE in a pop uip notification and informed me it had deactivated the modules,useful?,helpful.
 So any help on this problem i'm getting?, it makes using  the pc very difficult as you cannot see whats going on anywhere you go coz of the green stuff everywhere,saw movie like that once-green slime monster? ha ha.
 So has anyone had this problem before?,avast seems to be the only program to cause this green colouring affecting everything,strangely once the GUI of avast is shut down the pc reverts back to normal?.
 Finally i like avast and maybe if the solution is forthcoming re-green colours i might swith to avst as my main AV lets see,cheers all.

smiler

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: GREEN SCREEN/TOOLBAR/NOTIFICATION AREA/DESKTOP ICON BOXES ECT?-HELP!
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2006, 08:36:08 PM »
Re-started pc and avast boot scanned and found some nasties and i selected delete,good so far.
Better and safer would be sending to Chest.

done VRDB scans for some time?,still doing it after 1 hour?,anyway,good so far.
VRDB is not scanning. It's a database for recovery, it browse for executables files and store necessary info for cleanning.

Done an update vdf all ok,but when i clicked on the BLUE AVAST ICONĀ  jesus!,all went enviromently GREEN?,whats happened here?.
You mean the monitor? Why should it be related to avast?

I cannot send a screenshot sorry because i cannot get the desktop file saved to less than 236kb 36kb over the amount i can send and thats zipped?.
Save the file in .gif format and you'll have it smaller in size.

I have done scans with other softwares to make sure i have no trojans/malware ect ect,i only have avpe as my main AV with resident shield enabled.
As i mainly want AVAST as an independant AV scanner i have of course disabled the resident shield in AVAST in the custom setup so it does not run,i do not want any conflict with AVPE,and in fact AVAST did detected AVPE in a pop uip notification and informed me it had deactivated the modules,useful?,helpful.
avast is not a good backup, second, non-resident scanner.
On contrary, AntiVir is easier configurable at this way.

How much RAM do you have?
The best things in life are free.

Southern Man

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2006, 08:56:18 PM »
Better and safer would be sending to Chest.

done VRDB scans for some time?,still doing it after 1 hour?,anyway,good so far.
VRDB is not scanning. It's a database for recovery, it browse for executables files and store necessary info for cleanning.

Done an update vdf all ok,but when i clicked on the BLUE AVAST ICON  jesus!,all went enviromently GREEN?,whats happened here?.
You mean the monitor? Why should it be related to avast?

Save the file in .gif format and you'll have it smaller in size.

avast is not a good backup, second, non-resident scanner.
On contrary, AntiVir is easier configurable at this way.

How much RAM do you have?

Thanks quick reply back- i have 512mb ram cpu usage 25-100% as i am doing a full avast scan at present but normally i have about 4% cpu usage.
Thanks for clarifying  a few points re-VRDB and using a smaller file re-gif format and sending to chest bit new to this ok.
You have not answered or try to answer to my question i asked,just why should it be avast?-well that did not help or answer the question did it?,a more helpful reply or suggestion would be better appreciated.

smiler

Southern Man

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2006, 09:19:11 PM »
Here is the green haze screenshot i took with avast running and doing a scan.

smiler

neal62

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2006, 09:26:51 PM »
Southernman,

Have you had any problems with the Icons in the lower right hand corner of your monitor displaying correctly BEFORE installing Avast? Just curious?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2006, 09:36:35 PM by neal63 »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2006, 09:47:26 PM »
You have not answered or try to answer to my question i asked,just why should it be avast?-well that did not help or answer the question did it?,a more helpful reply or suggestion would be better appreciated.
Sure, I know...
Just trying to figure out what's happening.
I bet on PrevX or ProcessGuard as the guilty here, even disable. Ok, I could be unfair with this statement...  ;D
Can you try uninstalling them?

Well, avast does not work well as non-resident scanner and for what I see in your desktop, you did not disable it  ::) :o
You have both AntiVir and avast running?  ::) :P
Why are you asking what's happening?
You looked for trouble and find it  :'(

Now, seriosly, if the RAM is not stressed and your monitor drivers are ok... well, it's difficult to say what's happening. This is why I did not answer your question first time... neither now  :-\

vasant

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2006, 07:46:13 AM »
I think is this computer display no right or not support program.

It will show with some program run.

Southern Man

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2006, 12:10:39 PM »
Southernman,

Have you had any problems with the Icons in the lower right hand corner of your monitor displaying correctly BEFORE installing Avast? Just curious?

No never had any problems with ANY display problems or ICONS in the toolbar only since installing AVAST!,when i close down AVAST everything goes back to normal display.

southern man

Never-Never-never! only avast has caused this problem and i have loads programs installed- had my pc since new 4 years ago-no viruses,no malware,no trojans,no spyware clean machine up to date!-just avast,my monitor is top notch like my pc,never had problems like this ever before it started soon as i installed avast and run the program from avast shortcut the gui comes up and all the desktop screen chages and icon boxes and toolbar go green,even all the the icons seem to re-boot on the desktop,i am uninstalling avast no good to me-i will keep to what is a reliable AV and does not cause these kind of problems!.

southern man
Sure, I know...
I bet on PrevX or ProcessGuard as the guilty here, even disable. Ok, I could be unfair with this statement... ;D

Well, avast does not work well as non-resident scanner and for what I see in your desktop, you did not disable it ::) :o
You have both AntiVir and avast running? ::) :P
You looked for trouble and find it :'(

Now, seriosly, if the RAM is not stressed and your monitor drivers are ok... well, it's difficult to say what's happening. This is why I did not answer your question first time... neither now :-\

Southern Man

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2006, 12:26:06 PM »

Sure, I know...
I bet on PrevX or ProcessGuard as the guilty here, even disable. Ok, I could be unfair with this statement... ;D

Well, avast does not work well as non-resident scanner and for what I see in your desktop, you did not disable it ::) :o
You have both AntiVir and avast running? ::) :P
You looked for trouble and find it :'(

Now, seriosly, if the RAM is not stressed and your monitor drivers are ok... well, it's difficult to say what's happening. This is why I did not answer your question first time... neither now :-\

Anti-vir is my main AV with resident shield ENABLED ok,avast shield is DISABLED!!!!,i only have avast for INTERNET MAIL/OUTLOOK EXCHANGE/NETWORK SHIELD and as a backup AV scanner do you understand?,i have been doing computing work for some time now so am not a fool!-and am aware of the problems of running 2 av's  together ok,so that is i only have 1 resident shield with 1 av enabled and the other one disabled permantly,incidently just to throw a spanner in the works,i previously used AVG as a backup AV and e-mail scanner with no problems for years(resident shield disabled of course) and had no problems,and i had prevx and PG?,is there a known conflict between avast and PG 
 and PREVX?, as you advise uninstalling them,maybe there is just a compatibility issue?, i'll try your suggestion,has anyone else had this problem before?,i've looked in your postings long way back

Southern Man

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2006, 12:27:28 PM »
I think is this computer display no right or not support program.

It will show with some program run.

rubbish!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2006, 01:39:43 PM »
I am uninstalling avast no good to me-i will keep to what is a reliable AV and does not cause these kind of problems!.
I won't think it's avast fault... but in your system, with the programs already installed, you've got that trouble.
Let's be fair. avast! does not cause monitor problems in tons of computers all around the world.

Anti-vir is my main AV with resident shield ENABLED ok,avast shield is DISABLED!!!! ,i only have avast for INTERNET MAIL/OUTLOOK EXCHANGE/NETWORK SHIELD and as a backup AV scanner do you understand?
This is not enough to low level programs. Antivirus is not a word processor.
ProcessGuard and PrevX are not toys, they have a big inpact, deep inside, low level, on computer behavior.
And, like I've said before, in my tests, avast was never a good non-resident scanner, it was not designed for that in my opinion.

i have been doing computing work for some time now so am not a fool!-and am aware of the problems of running 2 av's  together ok,so that is i only have 1 resident shield with 1 av enabled and the other one disabled permantly
I never intend to say you do not know what you're doing. Sorry if you understand this way.

I previously used AVG as a backup AV and e-mail scanner with no problems for years(resident shield disabled of course) and had no problems
AVG works perfectly as a second, backup, non-resident scanner.

Is there a known conflict between avast and PG and PREVX?
Problem is not avast. This will become a blame post against ProcessGuard and this is not my intention. I really think PG does not work well, blocks more than should, does not prevent error, on contrary, makes a lot of them and mess Windows installation. It's my opinion based in what I've read, what I've tested and used of PG. PrevX has very little improvements last years... I don't know what's happening. It does not allow update behind a proxy, does not have the features I need. System Monitor is a very good freeware for this but, again, very intrusive low level, could bring troubles.
For me, these programs are too much protection, resources hog and let just a little for my own work  8)

As I've said, just my opinions  :)