Author Topic: Program update presents a window with Chrome installation  (Read 8116 times)

Offline wrooot

Program update presents a window with Chrome installation
« on: April 17, 2016, 02:14:54 PM »
I was using older Avast version for a year and so (with program updates disabled) and just recently updated to the newest one and have program updates enabled now. So, firstly i was negatively surprised by SafeZone browser push to all users (which seems to be addressed now, but i worry about them "re-thinking the strategy"). And a few days ago a new program update was automatically installed and after a reboot i saw a Avast window talking about new features and asking to press Continue (with checkboxes preselected to install Chrome browser). Why does a program update can't be truly silent like it is with defs updates? Why do i have to say to Avast that i don't want Chrome again (i have already made a decision while installing Avast)? What's up with Avast lately making such blatant decisions to push something on their users?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Program update presents a window with Chrome installation
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2016, 02:25:20 PM »
The offering of Google Chrome is nothing new, it has been there for some considerable time.

When you restart the system after a program update you get the offer (pre-checked is bad).  Before, when installing a program update, it used to be in the initial installation screen. And could even make an appearance after the installation, having already unchecked the options.

Both screens allow for the option to be unchecked.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline wrooot

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2016, 03:00:51 PM »
My main question is why program update is not silent like it is in some other software (av included) or why there is no setting for that? Or should i disable program updates like i had before, so i won't be bothered with a useless screen and most importantly i won't have to consult my non tech-savvy relatives/friends who use Avast about that window jumping in front..

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2016, 03:03:24 PM »
https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=185199.0
Avast program updates are now automatic and silent by default - can be changed via Settings->Update

Offline wrooot

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2016, 03:10:50 PM »
I already had it on Automatic Updates and my version is 2261. Does this mean that next time it updates i won't see such screen? Actually, the installation itself was already silent. This screen is shown after the reboot after the silent installation.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2016, 03:21:08 PM »
I already had it on Automatic Updates and my version is 2261. Does this mean that next time it updates i won't see such screen? Actually, the installation itself was already silent. This screen is shown after the reboot after the silent installation.

My guess is if you get a silent update because your program updates were set at automatic. Then this screen after the reboot (where you can uncheck the option) is the only way to avoid getting Chrome also installed.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline wrooot

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2016, 03:49:44 PM »
Interesting. So in that case when program updates itself it actually launches the full installer. But it only presents one screen. You don't have to select which modules to install, etc. So it is not like the full installer launching again. This is more like an acknowledge window to inform that update was successful (with a shameless try to push Chrome install through). Also, if this is true, then the only option to avoid that is to set program updates to manual and leave it like this.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2016, 04:00:48 PM »
I don't believe it is launching the full installer as such, but files, especially those digitally signed would have to be replaced requiring a reboot.

That gives to opportunity to display that screen on restart so users can remove the pre-checked options. Otherwise Chrome could be installed if there was no opportunity to remove the option. And we all know how much that gets under the users skin, getting something on a silent install.

Offline wrooot

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2016, 04:21:12 PM »
Well, after the update i still have only File shield installed, just as i have selected during the initial install. And it didn't ask me what modules to install after the update. So the installer is able to check what my selections were. Just not for that one thing.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2016, 04:41:17 PM »
Well, after the update i still have only File shield installed, just as i have selected during the initial install. And it didn't ask me what modules to install after the update. So the installer is able to check what my selections were. Just not for that one thing.
If you already had Chrome installed this would not have come up. I didn't get any popups but I used Chrome as my default browser.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

REDACTED

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2016, 05:01:04 PM »
I was using older Avast version for a year and so (with program updates disabled) and just recently updated to the newest one and have program updates enabled now. So, firstly i was negatively surprised by SafeZone browser push to all users (which seems to be addressed now, but i worry about them "re-thinking the strategy"). And a few days ago a new program update was automatically installed and after a reboot i saw a Avast window talking about new features and asking to press Continue (with checkboxes preselected to install Chrome browser). Why does a program update can't be truly silent like it is with defs updates? Why do i have to say to Avast that i don't want Chrome again (i have already made a decision while installing Avast)? What's up with Avast lately making such blatant decisions to push something on their users?

Dear,

I paid for another 3 years Internet Security for 3 pc's.

I even couldn't close the window.

There only ware three possibilities :
1. Install Chrome.
2. Upgrade (from IS) to Premium.
3. Shut down the pc and reboot (wich I did).

My conclusion : Not so client-minded from avast!.

Grts,  André.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2016, 06:44:50 PM »
<snip quote>
Dear,

I paid for another 3 years Internet Security for 3 pc's.

I even couldn't close the window.

There only ware three possibilities :
1. Install Chrome.
2. Upgrade (from IS) to Premium.
3. Shut down the pc and reboot (wich I did).

My conclusion : Not so client-minded from avast!.

Grts,  André.

1. Why would you want to do that if you are happy with what you have. That really isn't an option if you don't want it.

2. I don't believe this would change even with the Premier version installed.

3. I can't recall if my screen showed an X in the top right corner to close the window - if not - it would usually mean it requires acknowledgement.

A method in windows to close an open screen is to press the Alt+F4 keys together, that should close it without needing a reboot.

Note: I'm not sure if this might apply in this case, when using a paid version you have the option not to be bugged by ads for other avast products. AvastUI > Settings > General - Popups section, uncheck the 'Show popup offers for other avast products' option.

REDACTED

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2016, 08:10:57 PM »
Hi DavidR,

Thank you for your reply and your advice.

Grts,  André.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 08:12:38 PM by -André- »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2016, 08:30:39 PM »
You're welcome.

Offline wrooot

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2016, 05:38:29 AM »
Happened again when updating to 11.2.2262. Disabling automatic program update from now on.