Author Topic: Priority fix list to make avast! great again  (Read 8385 times)

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
Priority fix list to make avast! great again
« on: April 17, 2016, 05:37:03 PM »
Basically my priority list what needs to get fixed and improved within avast! if I'll ever consider using it again. I may come to like it again, but currently everything around it is so out of control and broken I just can't use or recommend it.

What needs to be fixed, presto!

- Protection. Focus on it like you mean it. Stop being so damn passive about it. Sure people hate false positives, but they hate getting infected even more. After all, people come to use AV's because of protection, not because of a browser cleaner or password manager... They are safety additions, but they aren't core protection.

- Stop pushing Chrome (and other crap) on every program update. If I said no the first time, there is NO need to remind me on every bloody program update after that.

- Stop showing a dialog where Free users have to decide between Free and Paid version on every bloody program update. It confuses the hell out of users and they call me every freaking time for it. Replace it with a separate popup once a year reminding users they've been using a Free version for 1 year and they might want to consider going for a paid version. A separate stand alone popup not fused with anything else, like program update changelog notification.

- Get rid of the damn registration and don't even bother adding activation. Why is any of this nonsense necessary? It again just confuses users. Just make avast! installable like AVIRA or AVG and people don't have to worry about any registration or activation. Use unique GUID generator to track individual clients within your cloud or whatever.

- Fix the Remote Assistance. I've needed it 3 times so far because of the above things and all I got was a black screen from the remote client, so I had to do it the old way with lengthy directions by phone.

- Fix the damn NG once and for all. And try not to break it on the next update/hotfix released after that.

- Make HIPS blocker actually do anything.

- Make file heuristics found under each shield actually do anything.

- Anti-ransomware anyone? Everyone's working on this tech, just avast! again has nothing to offer. I don't care about anything else more than about ransomware that can ruin everything big time.

- Add optional "Aggressive Heuristics" mode which would be, well, more aggressive and would feed more unknown apps back to your backend. So you can analyze more potential malware, create even more heuristic rules and move heuristic rules for malware from aggressive sensitivity level down to levels used by casual users, in a more refined form.

- In general, stop pushing out protection features that are not ready and which don't actually deliver results. What good is all the hype about a new cool feature which doesn't show any results and won't do so for the next year or so. And even after that, it's performance is very questionable to the end users despite what avast! team says about their telemetry and statistics. If users can hardly see it anywhere, then it's not particularly effective in my book. Don't make new stuff so damn passive. It's impossible to highlight these features when users never see them actually do anything.

- Stop making ad popups that make people think there is something wrong with their avast! installation or that there is something essential missing. They look like those cheap scam ads within fake AV's. Just don't do this.

- Webpage rating within avast! Browser plugin is pointless. The ratings should be linked to avast! account and permanent. Like WOT does. Because what I rate webpages remains selected across all installations. But now, every time I reinstall Windows or avast!, I have no clue if I have rated certain webpage already or not. Which makes me not want to even bother rating it. But in WOT, I love rating webpages that I haven't yet but I want to warn others or assure them the webpage is fine.

- When releasing or transitioning new things to Free users, don't do it like you've done with SafeZone Browser. It was a sloppy and botched release. Think things through before doing things like this. If unsure, just ask Evangelists. They may disagree, but that's the point of asking it in the first place. It ruined your reputation for tons of people and you thought they'd be happy to get things for free. Now you see it's not just having it for free but also how it is delivered to them.

- (EXTRA ADDITION) Files submitted via Virus Chest for malware or false positive should ALWAYS be resolved within 3 days maximum. They often took weeks or sometimes they just never got a verdict.

What is fine despite people disliking it in general.

- Offering Chrome during avast! installation is fine. Even with it being pre-checked. Just don't bother users about it again (read above)

- Ad banners within program interface are ok. So far they were not intrusive, they didn't pop outside of the interface like AVG does it. No objections here.

- Popups that are informative are fine. Don't make them too frequent, but if they just point out what paid versions offer as an extra, that's perfectly fine.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 08:05:54 AM by RejZoR »
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline Dwarden

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Ideas, that's ocean without borders!
    • Bohemia Interactive
Re: Priority fix list to make avast! great again
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2016, 06:00:20 PM »
overall nothing against what Rejzor asks for, it goes with what Evangelists are asking for years

notes:
1. Remote Assistance is nothing compared to AnyDesk or TeamViewer, even Microsoft's RDP works ;(
2. and I think Avast! may roll experimental public program (la beta) to test unfinished experimental features
3. about opt-in ... I suggest avast to change policy on that into opt-out (any countries with laws like this already?)
https://twitter.com/FoltynD , Tech. Community, Online Services & Distribution manager of Bohemia Interactive

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2016, 11:01:48 PM »
Remote Assistance, for what it's worth, I don't need it more advanced, I just need it functional. It has to be simple, otherwise you defeat the purpose of it. But again, it has to at least work. I've reported the issues and nothing got resolved.

It's nothing wrong if Chrome is pre-checked during installation only. But being offered and pre-checked on every single program update, that's absurd.

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2016, 11:41:38 PM »
Hi RejZoR,

"Basically my priority list what needs to get fixed and improved within avast!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLnTWxpTQt4

You made your point, is time to move away from avast and get another AV. Do you really believe that avast! developers do no know what has to be done??? Is a business decision , that's all....

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2016, 11:58:44 PM »
I honestly believe they don't know. And yeah, I've moved on. I've posted this and now I'll just wait till it happens. If it doesn't, well, then I'm not coming back.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2016, 12:13:52 AM »
1]
If you disable the shields for x minutes (or any of the other options), the user is asked if he is sure.
When you click yes, the shields are disabled but get enabled again after a couple of minutes without any notification.
You have to disable them again before they stay disabled.

Stop enabling them.
The user was notified and asked if he was sure and said yes.
Don't enable them again and certainly not without a notification.

2]
Fix the webboard.
2.1]
After clicking login, people often only get to see the loading circle and it doesn't show the the fields to put in the name/password.

2.2]
If someone has the name/password stored in the browser and is trying to use that to login, it is not working.
"Please correct the errors"
Come on avast, there are no errors.
The name and password are filled in as they should but your crappy programmed login page is failing to recognize it.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2016, 06:21:38 AM »
If someone has the name/password stored in the browser and is trying to use that to login, it is not working.
[...]
The name and password are filled in as they should but your crappy programmed login page is failing to recognize it.
Hi Eddy, works for me on FF.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2016, 08:29:57 AM »
I was talking about big changes that need to be done, not tiny petty issues like shields re-enabling without warnings or whatever (after you've set them t be re-enabled after a specific time yourself).

Offline giogio

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2016, 10:07:57 AM »
overall nothing against what Rejzor asks for, it goes with what Evangelists are asking for years
+1

I really hope that avast will improve all that Rejzor asked ..
Thanks Rejzor to write it down in black and white
Prima di scrivere sul forum per favore leggi le istruzioni qui https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=144453.0
Non inviatemi MP per supporto,grazie-No support PM please
Home: E8400-4GB RAM-500GB HDD-Win10.0.15063x64-Avast! Free 17.3.2291-CryptoPrevent-MBAM 2.2free-Chrome 57(uBlock origin)-TB52
Work: i5-2400-4GB RAM-500GB HDD-Win 7sp1x64-Avast!Business Security 12.3.2515,     
Cloud Console 2.18
-FF52-TB52

Offline Giraffe

• I'm not a Lama!
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2016, 10:28:23 AM »
Agree with all of Rejzor's points, especially re. detection - get up into the top 2 places!

Another wish: I'm now trying Avira (but I 'like' Avast for the Web and Mail Shields). Apps. start faster (a spreadsheet in LibreOffice takes 6s with Avast off, 12s withs Avast on,) and importantly, boot is quicker. Seems that in W7 (Pro, 32-b-t - don't know about others), a slow start causes the system tray (notification area) to be underpopulated; with Avira it's fully populated. Also, the PC is useable about 25% sooner.
W7 Pro SP1 32 bit
Intel Core i5 5675C; 4GB DDR3 1600 RAM
Avast!: 2328; Comodo Firewall

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2016, 04:08:01 PM »
Popups like this aren't informative or appreciated:

The gift is a trip to the Avast store to purchase a paid product.
(I just installed the FREE version)
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2016, 04:15:51 PM »
And then it is not a gift    :(

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2016, 04:33:52 PM »

The gift is a reduced price, but who wants it.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2016, 05:38:16 PM »

The gift is a reduced price, but who wants it.

It should be called an offer then. Not a gift.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

Offline Shaun985

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2016, 12:30:09 AM »
Agree with all of Rejzor's points, especially re. detection - get up into the top 2 places!

Another wish: I'm now trying Avira (but I 'like' Avast for the Web and Mail Shields). Apps. start faster (a spreadsheet in LibreOffice takes 6s with Avast off, 12s withs Avast on,) and importantly, boot is quicker. Seems that in W7 (Pro, 32-b-t - don't know about others), a slow start causes the system tray (notification area) to be underpopulated; with Avira it's fully populated. Also, the PC is useable about 25% sooner.
I read that some viruses don't need to be saved to hdd to execute so the mail shield is important.  Avira lacks a mail shield but will scan on open but this could possibly delete or corrupt the inbox.  Avast catches the virus before it hits the hdd thus the inbox has no risk of deletion or corruption.  Is this information correct??  Or is mail/web shield not that important when you have a file shield already?