Author Topic: Debating Avast vs Symantec  (Read 11237 times)

Barrett

Debating Avast vs Symantec
« on: January 06, 2006, 03:59:33 PM »
I'm preparing a new Small Business Server 2003 Premium for a client.  I've yet to decide what I want to do about virus protection.  I like with Avast offers and the pricing structure is superior to Symantec, but after reading some of the issues listed on this forum regarding resource issues, I'm becoming skeptical of the stability of Avast.

Can someone steer my in the right direction?  We'll have 5 clients running off the server so we're a small operation.

How much resources does Avast Pro draw from the workstations compared to Symantec Corporate Edition's Client?

Are the server resource issues mentioned on this forum a wide-spread problem or specific to certain situations and configurations?

Basically, tell me why I should choose Avast! over Symantec Corporate Edition.

I've got a lot weighing on this decision and I want to make the right one!

Thanks for the input!!

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re: Debating Avast vs Symantec
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2006, 04:58:53 PM »
Avast is certainly much lighter (with respect to resource usage) than Symantec. The forum threads you're probably refering to, while valid, cannot really be considered as representative samples of user experience with the product. Remember that most people come here only when they have a problem!

We have quite a big number of server installs (even big server installs) that are running flawlessly. I believe that most of the lockup issues in those threads are in fact related to some sort of collision with other software installed on those machines. And they need to  be solved one by one...

What I'd like to say is that both products (well, I'm not sure about Symantec - but avast certainly) provide a trial version - so the best advise is to go ahead and install it, test it, and see if it works well for you!

Detection wise, they should both work very well - but it's the details (and the price) that makes the difference.

Avast has a 60-day trial period which is IMHO long enough to get acquinted with the product thoroughly and see if it meets your needs...

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Barrett

Re: Debating Avast vs Symantec
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2006, 09:38:09 PM »
Thanks Vlk for the information.  I'm looking forward to trying the evaluation package on the server.  Hopefully I'll be able to try it with all the plug-ins that are offered with the SBS 2003 Premium Suite. 

I'm optimistic at this point.  Having a forum that replies quickly is a great first step!  If you or others have any pointers or pit-falls to look out for I'm all ears.

Looking forward to a great experience with AVAST!

Thanks!!