Author Topic: Problems with Web Shield  (Read 9932 times)

HeeHaw5130

Re: Problems with Web Shield
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2006, 06:41:15 PM »
From Roko:
Did you have ZoneAlarm installed at any time and uninstalled it?

I had problems like yours with Web Shield. I tried it all and all failed. Then I found that one file from ZoneAlarm was still on my PC after uninstalling it more than a year ago. So if you had ZoneAlarm and uninstalled it, try if the file "vsdatant.sys" is still on your PC. If so, boot XP in save mode and delete the sucker. It solved all my problems, no kidding.
Now that you mention it, I do remember uninstalling Norton Antivirus 2002 (v8.something-something, can't remember) several days ago just before installing Avast!. Since then, Spybot S&D has been giving me registry change alerts from its TeaTimer resident task about four registry changes that are always being deleted at startup which are related to NAV 2k2. These four values are always the same and are always being deleted at startup as I always allow Spybot to allow this to happen. I'm still trying to find a way to get rid of whatever it is that's causing this, but have found no success so far.

Here are the values that always delete at startup (as recorded from Spybot's TeaTimer records):
"NAV Agent" (new data: "") deleted in System Startup global entry!

"Symantec NetDriver Monitor" (new data: "") deleted in System Startup global entry!

"ScriptBlocking" (new data: "") deleted in System Startup global entry!

"{42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6}" (new data: "") deleted in Global browser toolbar!

Would anyone know what's causing this to happen?
Fricken' Symantec......

CharleyO

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2006, 04:28:25 AM »

Go to Symantec's website and download the correct un-installer for your version. That's the easiest way to get rid of all of the registry entries that their program installs. Just un-installing the program alone will not get rid of the registry entries. That is where the problem is.    >:(

http://search.symantec.com/custom/update/query.html?filter=all&nh=10&hitsceil=100&st=1&context=gbh&qt=uninstaller

Hope this helps you!    :)

HeeHaw5130

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2006, 06:58:01 PM »

Go to Symantec's website and download the correct un-installer for your version. That's the easiest way to get rid of all of the registry entries that their program installs. Just un-installing the program alone will not get rid of the registry entries. That is where the problem is.    >:(

http://search.symantec.com/custom/update/query.html?filter=all&nh=10&hitsceil=100&st=1&context=gbh&qt=uninstaller

Hope this helps you!    :)

Man, this really sucks. I did download the correct uninstaller program, ran it and removed all remaining files and registry entries. Then I deleted anything else even remotely related to Symantec or Norton. After restarting, I tried it again and I'm still getting the same problem.

Are there any other ideas I can try out? I'm not going to give up on this just yet.

RJARRRPCGP

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2006, 01:38:22 AM »

Hi HeeHaw

I also am having Web Shield problems  (See my thread: "NetGear Router will not work with web Shield)  For some reason NetGear will not work with the connection setting~~address 127.0.0.1 port 12080

With those Web Shield settings in, have you tried disconnecting NetGear and hard wiring through your DSL/cable to see if you can then connect to the Internet?  If you can connect to Internet without NetGear being hooked up, then I would think that NetGear just won't accept those settings, and that is the problem. 

Hope this helps!!

DizzyBlonde :)

It's obvious that it's blocking 127.0.0.1, which is bad news, because this problem can even stop some non-internet apps from being usable! 

I already know of a couple of applications that require 127.0.0.1:

Racer (http://www.racer.nl)

and

O&O Defrag

HeeHaw5130

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2006, 09:20:59 PM »
But how is it my other two machines able to get through, seeing as my other wireless machine is a laptop running with near-identical settings and configuration?

Offline flyboy_2

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2006, 08:48:10 AM »
Same issues here. I setup the connection settings for manual proxy settings of localhost and port 12080 as shown in the Avast online guide. I did this for both Firefox and MSIE. As soon as Web Shield is enabled, I have no internet access. I have tried turning Windows firewall off, but it makes no difference. I am behind a NAT router (D-link), but according to Avast, this makes no difference.

The ONLY way I can get access on port 80 (ie: www), it to disable Web Shield. Strange.

:-\
Network+ / Linux +