Author Topic: Avast broke down and i cannot reinstall it  (Read 3234 times)

varnav

Avast broke down and i cannot reinstall it
« on: January 09, 2006, 09:28:22 AM »
I've moved all my system to a new bigger HDD. Everything went fine and works fine except avast. At startup it shows me ad screen about upgrading to professional version. When i try to uninstall it i get error box:

Microsoft visual C++ runtime library
Buffer underrun detected!

Program ..ne\LOCALS~1\Temp\_av_sfx.tm~a03480\avast.setup

A buffer underrun has been detected which has corrupted the program's internal state. The program cannot safely continue execution and must now be terminated.

I've downloaded new version of Avast from the site, but when i run the distributive absolutely same thing happens. Cleaning the temp dir doesn't help.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Avast broke down and i cannot reinstall it
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2006, 01:49:18 PM »
I've moved all my system to a new bigger HDD.
What did you do? Clone the HDD or just change and install everything again?

Everything went fine and works fine except avast. At startup it shows me ad screen about upgrading to professional version. When i try to uninstall it i get error box: I've downloaded new version of Avast from the site, but when i run the distributive absolutely same thing happens. Cleaning the temp dir doesn't help.
In fact, when cloning a HDD avast has an antipiracy feature to detect this and the Professional version does not work (unless you know the trick to circunvent the problem: there is al least one  ;D).
So, the better will be uninstalling the previous version, boot, install the new downloaded one  :)
The best things in life are free.

varnav

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2006, 04:48:43 PM »
What did you do? Clone the HDD or just change and install everything again?

I've cloned the partition, did not reinstall anything. ABBYY Lingvo stopped working too, but at least I can uninstall it.

In fact, when cloning a HDD avast has an antipiracy feature to detect this and the Professional version does not work (unless you know the trick to circunvent the problem: there is al least one  ;D).
So, the better will be uninstalling the previous version, boot, install the new downloaded one  :)

The thing is that I was always using Home version. Of course the best idea is to reinstall it. But I cannot UNinstall it!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2006, 08:55:37 PM »
The thing is that I was always using Home version. Of course the best idea is to reinstall it. But I cannot UNinstall it!
Maybe (probably) the feature works for the Home version too.
Can't you uninstall?

1. Uninstall avast from Control Panel first.
2. Boot
3. Use Avast Uninstall for complete uninstallation (read http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_uninstall_util.html)
4. Boot
5. Install again
6. Boot
7. Register your avast.

If step 1 and 2 do not work, try booting in Safe Mode.
If even this fails, start with the 3rd step.
The best things in life are free.