Author Topic: How to use VRDB to repair infected files?  (Read 2313 times)

lpclpclpc

How to use VRDB to repair infected files?
« on: February 15, 2006, 07:02:32 AM »
I have made VRDB by home edition.

And now want to use it to repair infected files.

But  i don't konw what to do next!

Thanks for any help you can offer!!!!   

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: How to use VRDB to repair infected files?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2006, 03:01:55 PM »
The repair function is incorporated automatically in the scanning process, if it is feasibly possible to repair a file the option will be available as a choice. Not all files are covered by the VRDB function, I suggest a read of the avast help file, Healing, VRDB.

The VRDB only protects certain files, .exe, dll and other system files, it doesn't protect data files or all files, it is not a back-up program, so there are going to be many occasions where repair won't be an option.
Only true virus infection can be repaired, e.g. when a virus infects a file it adds a small part to it, provided that file is one that avast's VRDB would monitor and you have run the VRDB, then it may be possible to repair the file to its uninfected state.
However, for the most part so called viruses, trojans (adware/spyware/malware, etc.) can't be repaired because the complete content of the file is malicious.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security