Author Topic: Netgear Router will not work with Avast!'s Web Shield settings  (Read 6347 times)

DizzyBlonde

Netgear Router will not work with Avast!'s Web Shield settings
« on: January 09, 2006, 11:37:54 PM »
Hi

Yesterday I changed my connection settings in order to get Web Shield to work in Avast. (My OS is Me)

Last night my hubby could not connect to Internet through our NetGear Wirless Router MR814v2.  He toubleshot NetGEar  for hours, but still could not connect. The error said that "NetGear could not recognize any settings".

This morning I mentioned the changes that I made in connections in my pc last night to get Web Shield working  Thinking that maybe somehow those connection changes were preventng him from accessing the Internet through NetGear, I suggested  that I remove the settings I put in last night to see if it made any difference in his getting connected.

Well, when I removed the settings, he got on the Internet immediately!!! I put the settings back in & he was unable to connect.  We tried this several times to be sure that it was the connection settings (for Web Shield)  that caused the problem. It definitely is the connections to use Web Shield that is causing the problem.

With my very slow boot up since installing Avast! and now the NetGear Router connection problems, I (unhappily) will be uninstalling Avast!, unless someone here can come up with a way for me to use Web Shield and my hubby still be able to connect to the Internet through NetGear.  (I see no point in using Avast without having the Web Shield working.)

Anybody have any ideas before I uninstall Avast!? I searched your forums for this problem and found nothing~~is this a first??

Thanks!!

dizzyBlonde :)

timcan

Re: Netgear Router will not work with Avast!'s Web Shield settings
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2006, 01:00:30 AM »
Hi DavidR

Well that was easy, and (as you said),  has not affected my DSL connection at all.    So, now my web shield is showing the scanned count, and so far has not adversly affected my surf speed or opening programs/pages.  (I thought once it was working, it might slow down my surf speed.
Hi DizzyBlonde,on Jan. 08 everything seemed to be ok.Were you using your router then?Are your settings the same as this date?I use a netgear wgr614 with no problems.

DizzyBlonde

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2006, 01:38:19 AM »

Hi DizzyBlonde,
on Jan. 08 everything seemed to be ok.Were you using your router then?Are your settings the same as this date?I use a netgear wgr614 with no problems.

Hi Timcan

Let's see if I can explain this better!!  I made the setting changes in my pc yesterday during the day.  Everything was/is fine in my pc.  The problem arises when my hubby tries to connect his pc to the Internet through NetGear's wirless router.  My Hubby did not try to connect yesterday until later last night~~that is when he discovered the problem. Prior to my making the Web Shield setting changes, he never had a problem connecting through NetGear. And,  now when I take the settings out, he gets on the Internet just fine.  Hope this makes sense!!

What OS are you using?  Maybe you did not have to make the connection changes in your pc in order to get Web Shield working that I did~~that could explain why your Net Gear is working ok.
DizzyBlonde :)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2006, 01:49:16 AM »
What are the differences in the two PCs, OS, AV program, browser used and firewall, etc.

What would happen if he applied the same changes you made?

If the two PCs are independent of one and other and connect directly to the wireless router as opposed to using say Internet Connection Sharing (ICS), e.g. via your machine and then to the router, then I would have thought that his PC would have be fine.

Unfortunately I don't use a router (on dial-up connection) so I can't be of much help.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

timcan

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2006, 01:53:17 AM »
ok, what os is your better half's ;D . I use xp pro so I don't have the extra settings.

DizzyBlonde

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2006, 02:49:23 AM »
Hi David

What are the differences in the two PCs, OS, AV program, browser used and firewall, etc.

He uses 2000 Professional~~I use Me; He uses avg antivirus; Both of us use IE6 SP1, free Zone Alarm, Spybot, a2,  Win Patrol, Spywareblaster.

What would happen if he applied the same changes you made?

We just tried it~~doesn't make any difference~~he still can't get connected with those settings.

If the two PCs are independent of one and other and connect directly to the   wireless router as opposed to using say Internet Connection Sharing (ICS), e.g. via your machine and then to the router, then I would have thought that his PC would have be fine.

The PC'S are indepentant of each other~~no ICS.

Unfortunately I don't use a router (on dial-up connection) so I can't be of much help.

You need to get DSL~~we have had it for 8 months and it is wonderful!! ;D

Thanks!!

DizzyBlonde

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2006, 02:53:06 AM »

ok, what os is your better half's ;D . I use xp pro so I don't have the extra settings.

Hi timcan

Hubby use 2000 Pro.

timcan

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2006, 04:10:29 AM »
Hi DizzyBlonde,it doesn't matter what OS,AV,ect. you use when connecting with a router as all it does is alllow you to share 1 internet connection on 1 or more computers (and of course is a firewall).I connect 3 computers to my router ,2 hardwired,1 wireless and all of them have avast av with no problems.
Sorry to be of no more help than this. :-\

DizzyBlonde

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2006, 05:16:37 AM »
Hi timcan

Thanks for trying!!  If I don't get this thing figured out soon, hubby wants me to uninstall Avast!  :'(

I hate to uninstall it as I think Avast! is a good program, plus the forums are awesome!!  Hope somebody comes along with  a solution, so that I can keep Avast!!

« Last Edit: January 10, 2006, 11:21:01 AM by DizzyBlonde »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2006, 02:52:37 PM »
It's not a case of getting DSL, its a case of I'm too far from the broadband enabled exchange to get it, a physical limitation.

Why should you uninstall avast, what's wrong with him uninstalling AVG ;D I'm a very happy ex-AVG user for 20 months now.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

DizzyBlonde

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2006, 09:04:34 PM »
Why should you uninstall avast, what's wrong with him uninstalling AVG ;D I'm a very happy ex-AVG user for 20 months now.

Hi David~~

Hubby is very happy with AVG, and wants to keep it.  (Personally, I don't think it protects near as well as Avast!~~in comparison (protection) charts I've seen, avast! wins hands down.

Unfortunately, for me, Avast now has two strikes against it:

(1)  I'm pretty sure that Avast! is what has doubled my boot up time.  :(

(2) Hubby  is not able to connect to the Internet because of the connection setting I need in order to use Web Shield. 

As I said before, I see no point in having Avast! and not using Web Shield.
I could  live wth the slow boot up, but I can't live with not using Web Shield.  And, my hubby can't live with not being able to connect to the Internet. SOooo, I'm between a rock and a hard place!!  

I am still hoping that someone will come along here and give me a solution so that I can keep Web Shield working and hubby can still connect to Internet.  If not~~I will, very unhappily, uninstall Avast! :'( :'(

It's not a case of getting DSL, its a case of I'm too far from the broadband enabled exchange to get it, a physical limitation.

Too bad!!