Author Topic: Not Responding On Shutdown  (Read 7297 times)

GHammer

Not Responding On Shutdown
« on: January 10, 2006, 04:12:45 PM »
Each time I restart or shoutdown my system, I get an error that ashdisp is not responding.

I have XP timers set to kill nonresponding apps after 10 seconds so the shutdown goes along ok.

But it is not a 'normal' thing and I'm wondering why ashdisp does not shutdown normally when the system asks it to.

I run XP Pro SP2 with all current patches.
Avast Home current release and VPS (Happens with last few releases)
XP Pro firewall.
MS Antispyware latest beta release.

Ideas?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Not Responding On Shutdown
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2006, 02:13:03 AM »
Why ashdisp does not shutdown normally when the system asks it to.
I'm not sure but avast services should protect the system untill power off, I mean, XP SP2 has stronger policies to startup and shutdown to avoid antivirus and firewall being by passed. Maybe we need more than 10 seconds for this... I'm not sure.
Do you have more info in Windows Events?
The best things in life are free.

ulybka

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2006, 09:38:32 PM »
I have the same problem.
It looks like it is an old problem, but Avast people don't seem to care to correct this...???

GHammer

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2006, 10:59:20 PM »
Why ashdisp does not shutdown normally when the system asks it to.
I'm not sure but avast services should protect the system untill power off, I mean, XP SP2 has stronger policies to startup and shutdown to avoid antivirus and firewall being by passed. Maybe we need more than 10 seconds for this... I'm not sure.
Do you have more info in Windows Events?
If it were a service, I'd still want it to shutdown when the OS says 'shutdown'.
But, it looks like it is the GUI (ashdisp) not closing.

No, I get no log entries because it is simply an app 'hanging', not crashing. It is eventually killed and shutdown continues.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2006, 11:09:01 AM »
This happens only if you have the On-Access Scanner Console window open, right? (that's the window that opens when you double-click the avast (a)-ball tray icon).

This should be solved in the upcoming release.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

GHammer

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2006, 11:28:30 AM »
Hello,

No, I rarely have the GUI open, just the tray icon sitting there.
I'll report back after the next release.

Thanks for your time.

Coris

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2006, 04:45:08 PM »
Bonjour tout le monde (in english in the text  :))

It looks like there is the problem with other users than me. And it looks like it takes a little time to find out about that very pesting bug  :-\
I did write a post about the topic last week including my config, maybe in the wrong category (ashServ.exe crash on system shutdown - is is still there)   

To resume, I spent time to read the most about it in that forum, applied all corrections suggested, works for a while and then rideau again (meaning getting on with the problem again  ::)

"...the fix I tried works 50% wich is much better than before where it was 0 %.  Huh But the problem is not solved totally, which is annoying.  Angry  It seems that one of the reason has to do with the time spent on the Web. The longer it is and the Shutdown freeze is operating again. Could it be an unknown virus or spyware doing that. I have tried all the protection thing and nada ! I have tried Hijack and nothing  Undecided..."

So what ? The message I get when it does work (cause I do get a message in that case from time to time) is related ti the GUI Avast, but too fast and too chancy to catch (Avast GUI control parameter ....)

Does the post of VLK concern that peculiar problem ?

Thank you

@+   ;)

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2006, 11:21:18 PM »
Could you please try the latest beta version? If it makes any difference?

Please see here for details: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=18910.0

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

GHammer

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2006, 06:20:58 AM »
Build 760 is shutting down properly here.
Seems very nice.
Also, my Chinese wife thanks you for the Simplified Chinese!

Coris

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2006, 12:55:30 PM »
Hello  :)

Thank you Vlk. I did try that and nothing.
A problem appeared when I tried to restore to previous config, only console XP worked, no more access to OS.

So Fdisk, format C:, built OS again,  programs and links with datas and web parameters (on separates drives  ;D) plus all protection ON. I am running Avast again. Everything is OK  :D. I wrote a post to the support earlier  today, giving the details. I am back to normal with AVAST

Now, I am going to update AVast (i am on  4.6.603) and see what's happening and let you know 

Thank you again