Author Topic: When does avast add an application to the firewall list?  (Read 1866 times)

REDACTED

When does avast add an application to the firewall list?
« on: April 27, 2016, 10:38:48 PM »
Hi,

So I have my avast firewall set to auto-decide for applications it has not seen before. And in general when I use a new program it adds to that list with whatever it thinks is sensible. However for some programs (mainly games that don't appear to connect to the internet) no   thing is added to the list. Now obviously I don't really need to care if something that doesn't connect to the internet doesn't have a firewall entry, but I want to know if avast is supposed to add files to the firewall when they are first run or when they first attempt to connect to the internet. If its the first, then why aren't these applications being added?

Thanks.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: When does avast add an application to the firewall list?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2016, 10:40:43 PM »
Have you searched FAQ section?

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2016, 10:46:18 PM »
OK so according to the FAQ it says that default rules are created in the list the first time an application is run since you have avast firewall installed.
I'm not sure if this is the case however, as multiple applications not requiring the internet that I have run multiple times since installing avast firewall a few months ago are not in the list.

EDIT: ahh, slight caveat to being added is that rules are apparently created for new programs that are run for known and trusted sources the first time they are started. I guess some games from steam maybe do not come under that and since they are not accessing the internet avast sees no reason to add them to the firewall application list?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 10:49:32 PM by kionairis »

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2016, 12:45:51 AM »
Hi, rules are created only after the programme accesses the network.