Author Topic: Your product is very misleading  (Read 25727 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Your product is very misleading
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2016, 02:52:06 AM »
Thanks for the feedback. I think you have a valid point here.
We have turned off the campaign now.

Thanks,
Vlk
Thanks.
The best things in life are free.

Offline Coolmario88

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Bronies make the web go round
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2016, 02:57:07 AM »

Thanks,
Vlk
Thank you!
Webbrowser: Mozilla Firefox
PC Specs: Intel i5-12400f, Nvidia RTX 3050, 16gb ram, 1.5TB SSD(s).

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2016, 05:14:54 PM »
Thanks VLK
Nice too see this resolve in the public forum. :)

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2016, 06:42:19 PM »

Thanks,
Vlk

I know it's nice to see you guys reading feedback and applying it to your product, but I'll just point at the elephant in the room and wonder, why isn't stuff like this discussed internally? I mean, I'm pretty sure you guys have marketing people who make things like this. One would expect they are capable of understanding when advertisement and promotions are actually damaging to the brand image and when they'd impact users in a negative way. Those people are usually paid quite well. Why aren't they doing a better job? If they don't understand how people use antivirus software and how they interact and react with/to it, they should come here and read a forum here and there to get an idea how people feel about things and talk to developers who actually make features for users and ask them if people would react negatively if some promotion is worded like this. I hope you get the idea what I'm talking about.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2016, 07:21:31 PM »

Thanks,
Vlk

I know it's nice to see you guys reading feedback and applying it to your product, but I'll just point at the elephant in the room and wonder, why isn't stuff like this discussed internally? I mean, I'm pretty sure you guys have marketing people who make things like this. One would expect they are capable of understanding when advertisement and promotions are actually damaging to the brand image and when they'd impact users in a negative way. Those people are usually paid quite well. Why aren't they doing a better job? If they don't understand how people use antivirus software and how they interact and react with/to it, they should come here and read a forum here and there to get an idea how people feel about things and talk to developers who actually make features for users and ask them if people would react negatively if some promotion is worded like this. I hope you get the idea what I'm talking about.
+1  Thanks for your input, RejZoR.  Couldn't agree more.  If only ad campaigns were reviewed by other than ad managers before being deployed to everyone, we'd be better off.  Some would never get off the floor.  Heartening to see Vlk and others responding to what we post in the forum tho.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

Offline stibi

« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2016, 11:38:34 AM »
One would expect they are capable of understanding when advertisement and promotions are actually damaging to the brand image and when they'd impact users in a negative way.

Good point, RejZoR !

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2016, 11:37:47 PM »

Thanks,
Vlk

So much for this being turned off - that has basically been restyled and very slightly reworded - but it is still the misleading ad from before.

It isn't a security tip, it is a disgraceful piece of subterfuge, it is trying scare people into clicking the Big Orange ACTIVATE button and we all know what is behind that.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Coolmario88

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2016, 12:48:56 AM »

Thanks,
Vlk

So much for this being turned off - that has basically been restyled and very slightly reworded - but it is still the misleading ad from before.

It isn't a security tip, it is a disgraceful piece of subterfuge, it is trying scare people into clicking the Big Orange ACTIVATE button and we all know what is behind that.
Avast it seems is becoming some kind of Scareware.  ::)

REDACTED

« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2016, 04:48:36 AM »
yeah, count me in. a few other things with this product are misleading too.

i try various ones, pay for them, and still, these draconian apps, and ads, paid or not.

REDACTED

« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2016, 04:52:13 AM »
I have no problem with adverts in avast free, but this FUD isn't an advert and will no doubt have the reverse effect than its intent. No purchase of AIS or Premier and more likely the loss of an existing customer.

+1

off to find another free a/v. the so called top3 a/v's, and avast is listed as one, i'm not in the mood to pay for again. i don't see any benefit-per-dollars at all especially with all this draconian behaviour.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2016, 11:46:35 AM »

Thanks,
Vlk

I don't see this as problematic anymore to be honest. Only thing I'd replace is "Activate" with word "Upgrade" on the orange button. This will suggest to user they need to upgrade (which usually means buying a higher level package) and which is then explained on the landing page anyway. So, not perfect, but way better than before. Certainly a step into right direction with the wording.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2016, 02:14:28 PM »

Thanks,
Vlk

I don't see this as problematic anymore to be honest. Only thing I'd replace is "Activate" with word "Upgrade" on the orange button. This will suggest to user they need to upgrade (which usually means buying a higher level package) and which is then explained on the landing page anyway. So, not perfect, but way better than before. Certainly a step into right direction with the wording.

That's the whole point, in its current state it isn't an ad, it is misleading and will certainly make people think they have a problem rather than a misleading ad.

People shouldn't have to click on the button to get a clue from the landing page what it is all about. As I said before I have no problem with honest to goodness ads in the free version.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Coolmario88

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2016, 02:04:58 AM »
I think avast is finally got it right for now..

I just got a popup that was worded perfectly and not misleading at all.  :)

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2016, 03:07:34 PM »

This one always amuses me - if they have stopped 725.050 virus attacks in the USA (I'm in the UK) and I remain uninfected, what extra protection do I need ;)

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2016, 04:17:30 PM »

This one always amuses me - if they have stopped 725.050 virus attacks in the USA (I'm in the UK) and I remain uninfected, what extra protection do I need ;)
I'm in the US. None of these infected me because I'm using the free version of Avast. Do I really need to increase my protection ???
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet