Author Topic: Your product is very misleading  (Read 25724 times)

Offline stibi

Re: Your product is very misleading
« Reply #45 on: May 12, 2016, 06:50:16 PM »
I agree, Bob. And again my question - who needs an extra firewall? Wiondows' firewall does its job.

Offline St STephens

« Reply #46 on: May 12, 2016, 07:28:54 PM »
I have used Avast for years and have recommended it to many.  However the Avast product is starting to look more like a malware with it's level of builtin ads.  I especially hate the browser insert at the top of some pages telling me you have found coupons or other sites that are cheapr.  When I signon to Pandora I don't need my Internet Security software advertising for other music vendors.  >:(

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #47 on: May 12, 2016, 10:44:10 PM »
I have used Avast for years and have recommended it to many.  However the Avast product is starting to look more like a malware with it's level of builtin ads.  I especially hate the browser insert at the top of some pages telling me you have found coupons or other sites that are cheapr.  When I signon to Pandora I don't need my Internet Security software advertising for other music vendors.  >:(
Get rid of SafePrice if you don't like it. You did give it permission to install. :) It isn't added to my browser.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #48 on: May 12, 2016, 10:55:59 PM »
Get rid of SafePrice if you don't like it. You did give it permission to install. :) It isn't added to my browser.

The point should be why is SafePrice in an anti-virus?

More bloat.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #49 on: May 12, 2016, 11:04:35 PM »

The point should be why is SafePrice in an anti-virus?

More bloat.
You're correct but that wasn't the question. :)
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline securitest

« Reply #50 on: May 13, 2016, 02:21:57 PM »
One little remark about words,

old people just have to learn that the word 'Upgrade', on a computer screen, should always be translated into 'Buy'.
('Buy Now for XX$/Year' would be so self-explanatory that I'm surprised no one thought of such a clear wording...)

'Activate' is the euphemism for 'Upgrade' which is the euphemism for 'Buy',
next will come 'Enable', and then 'Complete Your Installation', etc...

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #51 on: May 14, 2016, 07:48:07 AM »
One little remark about words,

old people just have to learn that the word 'Upgrade', on a computer screen, should always be translated into 'Buy'.
('Buy Now for XX$/Year' would be so self-explanatory that I'm surprised no one thought of such a clear wording...)

'Activate' is the euphemism for 'Upgrade' which is the euphemism for 'Buy',
next will come 'Enable', and then 'Complete Your Installation', etc...

If one says what they mean and means what they say, then no need for euphemisms, ever.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #52 on: May 20, 2016, 05:07:40 PM »
Thanks for the feedback. I think you have a valid point here.
We have turned off the campaign now.

Thanks,
Vlk

We have had several recent statements that this campaign has been pulled, yet not long after each statement, a slightly revised layout and it is back up. It is here again, this isn't a bloody security tip it is bloody misleading, scaring users into thinking they need more protection.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #53 on: May 20, 2016, 09:04:50 PM »
It is a security tip and it's perfectly fine by itself. It's just that "Activate" that is a bit misleading. It makes user believe the feature is already there, available to the user, just disabled for whatever reason. They really need to figure this one out to be more straight forward and understanding.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #54 on: May 20, 2016, 09:10:01 PM »
It is a security tip and it's perfectly fine by itself. It's just that "Activate" that is a bit misleading. It makes user believe the feature is already there, available to the user, just disabled for whatever reason. They really need to figure this one out to be more straight forward and understanding.

I don't think it is a security tip if the user already has a functioning firewall.

I have no problem with ads, but lets have a clear text that this is an ad for the avast firewall and safezone browser (which is already available for free users).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #55 on: May 20, 2016, 09:26:08 PM »
They should really make ads context related. If user already has SafeZone installed, don't show him the ads for it. Same goes for firewall. If it's already activated within a paid for version, don't show such ads. All this can easily be done using few variables, potentially within VPS updates so they can update them on the fly as needed, whenever it is needed.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline Michael (alan1998)

• Massive Poster
  • Volunteer
« Reply #56 on: May 20, 2016, 10:15:19 PM »
I would argue that if you do your (You as the person) job, you shouldn't need any of these tips (or programs). That being said, I do know not everyone (actually, the vast majority) do not know what they're doing with Technology. I also understand that those Big sites or whatever online activity you may participate in always stand the chance and get hacked. (Or, for those more advanced attacks. 8:00 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnKh6SFEaLg)

I agree that the initial popups were excessive in the language, but the most recent shot I see (The "Important Security Tip") isn't quite the same. Could they have used different words? Yes, upgrade would likely be better. But it's all in how you read it, or more to the point, the tone in how you perceive it. The tone doesn't transfer digitally sadly. If I said, "X come here now" vs "X come here immediately". Which one is worse? Neither would be the correct answer. It's the tone that dictates it. I personally do not find their latest ad to be threatening. In reference to the size DavidR, I don't find the button unreasonably large.

As for mis-leading, that's a massive can of worms. Doesn't matter how secure your system is, it's always at risk, no matter what. The only way to guarantee the safety and security of that computer? Never plug it into the internet and disable USB Ports.

All in all, I really don't think the latest is that bad. Wouldn't hurt to say "... to help protect ..." That would be true. But nothing can give 100% protection.
VOLUNTEER

Senior Security Analyst; Sys Admin (Linux); Forensics/Incident Response.

Security is a mindset, not an application. Think BEFORE you click.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #57 on: May 20, 2016, 10:26:58 PM »
<snip>
I agree that the initial popups were excessive in the language, but the most recent shot I see (The "Important Security Tip") isn't quite the same. Could they have used different words? Yes, upgrade would likely be better. But it's all in how you read it, or more to the point, the tone in how you perceive it. The tone doesn't transfer digitally sadly. If I said, "X come here now" vs "X come here immediately". Which one is worse? Neither would be the correct answer. It's the tone that dictates it. I personally do not find their latest ad to be threatening. In reference to the size DavidR, I don't find the button unreasonably large.
<snip>

Given the avast user base is most likely to have a majority of inexperienced users, the language has to be clear and activate is not clear (Upgrade or PAY) is clearer. I would guess for the majority clicking on the Activate button, simply think they are activating those elements, not that they have to pay for this security tip.

I haven't mentioned the size of the Activate button in relation to my last post, so I don't know where you dug that one up from. There is nothing wrong with the button size

Offline Michael (alan1998)

• Massive Poster
  • Volunteer
« Reply #58 on: May 20, 2016, 11:24:00 PM »
It isn't a security tip, it is a disgraceful piece of subterfuge, it is trying scare people into clicking the Big Orange ACTIVATE button and we all know what is behind that.

3rd Page :-)

PS: Avast, fix your forums. I hate typing HTML code or trying to insert a quote manually.

I would guess for the majority clicking on the Activate button, simply think they are activating those elements, not that they have to pay for this security tip.

Fair play, hadn't seen it like that, DavidR. I will give you that. All this being said, I cannot really weigh in a lot. I'm an avid believer of not using programs now. I use the built in Windows Defender/Firewall and MBAM for an ODS. Keeps me relatively clean. The few things I've picked up is adware.

VOLUNTEER

Senior Security Analyst; Sys Admin (Linux); Forensics/Incident Response.

Security is a mindset, not an application. Think BEFORE you click.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #59 on: May 20, 2016, 11:55:48 PM »
It isn't a security tip, it is a disgraceful piece of subterfuge, it is trying scare people into clicking the Big Orange ACTIVATE button and we all know what is behind that.

3rd Page :-)

PS: Avast, fix your forums. I hate typing HTML code or trying to insert a quote manually.

From the 6th of May, not from my last post with attachment, whilst the button is the same size, there is more black space as they removed the padlock element.

You can use the normal quote and copy the quote reference instead of typing the quote command, or you can also use a BBCode editor (I use firefox BBCodeXtra add-on).

I would guess for the majority clicking on the Activate button, simply think they are activating those elements, not that they have to pay for this security tip.

Fair play, hadn't seen it like that, DavidR. I will give you that. All this being said, I cannot really weigh in a lot. I'm an avid believer of not using programs now. I use the built in Windows Defender/Firewall and MBAM for an ODS. Keeps me relatively clean. The few things I've picked up is adware.

This really is my beef, I don't care about me I can look after myself, but this kind of stuff scares people. You don't need the avast firewall if you already have a functioning firewall. If users don't do a custom install free users already have the SafeZone Browser, which I remember rightly has taken over from the old SafeZone.