Author Topic: SecureLine license not taking  (Read 10251 times)

Offline jr19

SecureLine license not taking
« on: May 07, 2016, 01:28:05 AM »
Am currently running SecureLine on Windows 7, but do not have the anti-virus installed... I use TechMirco.         
I received notice that my SecureLine subscription would run out in a couple weeks, so went and bought a renewal license. Program is running fine under the old license.
I receive the email with the .avastvpn attachment. I click on attachment and it asks if I want to save it or open it. It opens in Word and notepad, but so what? I call tech support to ask about activating the license and am told the fact that when opening the attachment, the Avast SecureLine should automatically read the license and update. But it doesn't. The program expiration still displays my close approaching date, although in the My Licenses in my on-line Avast account it says I have an active Avast Program which has a license. I talk with "Customer Support - Technical Questions" and they remote into my computer. The first-level tech cannot get anything to happen when that attachment is opened. So he says there must be something wrong with my computer and offers to get it clean and working of $120. I decline. I use my jv16 PwerToolsX and clean the registry. Still doesn't work. I call the technician back to report that when I attempt to install the license I still get the "open or save" box and the license still won't install. I call Tech Service right back and say I'm Ready! with a recently scanned and registry-cleaned machine and am hot to trot to go..... but the attachments from Avast do not 'activate' the license install. The Tech says it is obviously still my system being corrupted and again offers to clean it for$120. WTF? I'm not interested in paying $120 for a "clean up session ' It is my computers fault and they can fix it for $120. My gut tells me that is BS, but that's why I'm asking for your suggestions on how to go about fixing things.

-JR

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: SecureLine license not taking
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2016, 07:36:57 AM »
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2016, 07:44:27 AM »
Download the license file and check if it is saved correctly.
e.g. it should be avast.lincense and not avast.license.txt

You should be able to retrieve the license through your account.
https://my.avast.com

Offline jr19

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2016, 08:33:52 PM »
Download the license file and check if it is saved correctly.
e.g. it should be avast.lincense and not avast.license.txt

You should be able to retrieve the license through your account.
https://my.avast.com

The download file (attachment) is license.avastvpn. That is also how it shows in My Licenses. I downloaded directly from the page and I get the same result.

I have turned in a Ticket for Technical Support, and will see what happens next.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2016, 08:13:22 AM »
Something you could do is checking if the extension avastvpn is associated with the vpn tool.
If it is not, it xplains why it opens in a text editor.
Changing the association should solve it.

Offline jr19

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2016, 08:24:34 PM »
Eddy,
    Change to what extension? Is this just done my me renaming it?

-JR

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2016, 09:03:39 PM »
I never said to change the extension.
I said to check the association.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/change-default-programs