Author Topic: Confusing problem the came with the new update 11.2.2262  (Read 5997 times)

REDACTED

Confusing problem the came with the new update 11.2.2262
« on: May 08, 2016, 11:10:54 PM »
So the problem I have is that my Avast Internet Security keeps turning off all it's security measures on it's own and keeps asking the main password for Avast Password each time I start my browser again, even though I've set it to ask me the main password only once a day.
I think it still asks me more than once a day if I turn off my pc completely and start it up again during the same day, but that is to be expect. That was it's normal behaviour.
Now it asks it multiple times without even closing the browser, all the active protection security measures turn off and when it happens the date on the newest update reads 1.1.1970 2:00:00 for no apparent reason. I don't even know why that happens since it's such an odd little detail.
The time on  the computer itself is competely fine, so no it doesn't have anything to do with the internal clock of the pc.

My Avast IS also tells me my "30 day free trial is at an end" and offers me 60 more days of free trial, free of charge, but still requires my credit card info I've already given it before, but when I turn all the security measures back on, it realizes that I still have 279 days left in my licensed and paid for version of Avast IS.
I don't know if the Avast Password was something that was only on free trial in addition to the IS that I have paid for or something, but it is giving me a load of problems.

I really don't know what to do and I'm unsure what I should do? Should I trust the 60 day free deal that my Avast is offering me?

On a side note, I sent Avast a report about how my SafeZone browser kept freezing continuously while using online bank service, but never got any reply and I somehow lost all the points I'd had when I made an account on avast.com.
But those aren't the main problem.

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: Confusing problem the came with the new update 11.2.2262
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2016, 11:13:59 PM »
Ok, first off lets try this:

- Ensure your time and date are correct on your PC.

- Repair Avast Installation

Go to Add/Remove Programs or Programs and Features in Control Panel, select 'Avast Internet Security, click the Change button, when the avast GUI opens, click Repair.

Then reboot your PC and post back.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 11:16:24 PM by Alikhan »
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2016, 11:33:28 PM »
1-1-1970 sounds like a empty bios battery to me.
Although a OS can show the correct date/time (auto sync with a world clock), it doesn't mean the system time is correct.

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2016, 11:50:57 PM »
Well, I checked the basic stuff regarding the time and date on the computer, but I'll probably have to check again. What do I do about the empty bios battery? And is there some way to confirm that it's the computer's fault? Because it's the Avast program that has this 1970s date on it and not the computers own date record of the update.

Anyway, the repairing supposedly worked. At least it told me it was successful. After which it slammed a notification of an error in my face.
I don't know how much such error may cause, but I decided to take note of it anyway.
The Error said the following:
Failed to load language dll
language path: 1033/UILangRes.dll
(could aslo have been UlLangRes.dll

When I started up the pc again, everything went fairly smoothly, excluding the fair amount of lag.
I opened up the browser and came back here, hoping it actually might've worked. But just when I was about to close the browser and at least test if it asks the main password again or if that's fixed too, the problem reappeared and Avast shut all the security measures again.
This time though, instead of staying off for a while and making me restart them manually, the security measures went back on by themselves, straight away.
The same happened again while typing this reply to you. Now the browser would demand me to retype the main ps but I'm refusing to do so right now as it's really bothersome.
So the problem is PROBABLY not with the Avast Password, just with Avast IS itself, because when it turns off and back on, the main password is always asked again, even if the browser was already on since the first time I gave it.

I'm terribly sorry if I'm telling useless information, but I don't know what to tell you.

I'm operating on a Windows 7. 32-bit. It's a really old laptop, but usually it serves well, so I kinda doubt that the pc itself is a big contributor to the problem, but honestly, what do I know.
In fact, now that I think about it, yeah, most likely the pc itself is a huge contributor to the problem... :/
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 11:52:52 PM by neosimultanic »

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2016, 06:54:16 PM »
Alright.
The problem persists. I hope to get some more help.
I even decided to take Avast's offer for the "free 60 day trial", even though I have a verified and paid for version of IS.
I thought that might help but it seems to not have any effect on the problem what so ever.

Whenever it turns the security measures off it either offers me that 60 day trial for free or it advices me to pay for a new license, giving me a "gift" which opens a window with three choices of different durations of a licensed Avast IS.

OH and this "gift" is specifically a "Welcome gift" as if this is the first time I have Avast on my computer.
This whole situations feels disgustingly messed up.
I feel like my internet security program is the one that's making me most vulnerable.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 07:00:07 PM by neosimultanic »

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2016, 07:24:08 PM »
As Eddy already mentioned, Check your CMOS battery.
It probably needs to be replaced. If you can't do it, take it in to the shop.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2016, 07:28:34 PM »

I'm on a laptop, so does that change anything? Is there a way to check that the problem is in this "CMOS battery"? Or is it so clear that I just need to believe you when you say that? Once again, while I could google it, I'm already here so might as well ask you if there's a way to prove it's the battery's fault and not something with Avast itself.
Also since this is a laptop, am I to assume this'll be seriously expensive?

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2016, 07:32:34 PM »

I'm on a laptop, so does that change anything? Is there a way to check that the problem is in this "CMOS battery"? Or is it so clear that I just need to believe you when you say that? Once again, while I could google it, I'm already here so might as well ask you if there's a way to prove it's the battery's fault and not something with Avast itself.
Also since this is a laptop, am I to assume this'll be seriously expensive?
It shouldn't be too expensive. If you want to tackle it yourself, this may hepl:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTg8qhWKNpA
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

REDACTED

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2016, 07:45:49 PM »
Alright. Thanks for the help.
I do apologize, but I still feel like I have to persist though, that maybe this isn't about the CMOS battery (or BIOS as someone called it before in the other thread) since even the guy in this tutorial video talks about messages to check the CMOS or something about the time not working otherwise which I have not experienced. As for me the only thing related to a weird time tag was the one that happens every time my Avast program shuts down, but when it goes back on the time tag corrects itself. And the 1970 time tag only appears in the Avast program, not on my pc's own time and date settings or the systems record of when the update was first made in the place where system reset options are found.

Is changing this battery something that will benefit me in other ways too even if it's not the source of this problem?
I don't want to be an annoyance, but I'm just trying to be careful and avoid wrong moves since I seem to have already made one, thinking I should take up the 60 day free trial that Avast offered me. As now I can't even cancel the auto-renewal on that in my Avast account.

Offline bruce_b

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2016, 10:20:04 PM »
You do need to replace the CMOS Battery and then set the date and time either from within the BIOS or from the
Command Prompt using:

Type the word "time". Type a space, and enter the new time in the following format:

HH:MM:SS AM/PM. For example, time 5:34:00 PM, time 12:15:00 AM, etc.
    Press enter or return.

Type the word "date". Type a space, then enter the new date in the following format:

MM/DD/YYYY. For example, date 5/15/2009, date 2/14/1999, etc.
    Press enter or return.

This is provided in case you do not know how to enter the BIOS
Your CMOS Battery usually can be gotten to from under the keyboard.
If you post the Make and Model Laptop, we can tell you for sure how to get to it.
Dell Dimension 8200 P4 1.8Ghz Windows XP PRO SP3
Avast Free Antivirus 18.8.2356
Toshiba Satellite C855-S5347 Celeron B830 1.8Ghz
Windows 10 Home 64 Bit Version 1909 Build 18363.900
Avast Free Antivirus 20.4.2410 Build 20.4.5312.578

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2016, 10:45:27 PM »
Before doing anything with the CMOS battery, lets rule Avast out of it by doing a clean install.

You need to perform a clean install:

Note: It's important you used the stub online installer from the one I linked.. NOT the offline one.

Note: You need to be ONLINE during this install (online installer works in all cases whereas offline sometimes doesn't)

1.Download your version of avast! and the avastclear tool:

Avast Free Antivirus
Avast Pro Antivirus
Avast Internet Security
Avast Premier

Download Avast Clear Tool

2. Uninstall Avast by control panel  [If you don't have Avast in control Panel go to #3]
3. Uninstall in safe mode using Avastclear. [Running Avastclear is normal mode will give a prompt to go into Safe Mode]
Check : Once uninstalled check in device manager>view>show hidden devices if there is anything related to avast with a yellow triangle.. if so, uninstall it and reboot.
5. Install the version you downloaded.
6. Reboot.

Free: If you have the Free version, register the product for free for a year from the avast! UI.
Paid: If you have a paid license, insert the license key/activation code after the reboot at stage 6.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. It's better to ask than make a mistake and start over again with the process.
[/quote]
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

REDACTED

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2016, 09:38:06 PM »
I tried to do the clean install. Unfortunately I think I forgot to reboot after installing the Avast download.
I suppose I need to do it again. The problem persists anyway, so if rebooting after the install BEFORE using the license code is a really crucial part, I guess I should try it at least one more time.

Thank you for bearing with me. I'll get back to you once I've tried to do the clean install exactly how you instructed.

REDACTED

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2016, 10:52:49 AM »
I did it (clean install) exactly as instructed. The problem remains. I suppose then that I can safely assume Eddy, Bob and Bruce were correct.
It must be the CMOS then. I do see that there's a part above the keyboard which can be removed.
But to be sure that is where I'll find the CMOS I might as well get the confirmation from you.

Offline bruce_b

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2016, 01:58:39 PM »
Provide Make and Model # of your laptop and we will try to find information that shows
where and how to get to the CMOS Battery in it.
Dell Dimension 8200 P4 1.8Ghz Windows XP PRO SP3
Avast Free Antivirus 18.8.2356
Toshiba Satellite C855-S5347 Celeron B830 1.8Ghz
Windows 10 Home 64 Bit Version 1909 Build 18363.900
Avast Free Antivirus 20.4.2410 Build 20.4.5312.578

REDACTED

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2016, 03:23:54 PM »
Provide Make and Model # of your laptop and we will try to find information that shows
where and how to get to the CMOS Battery in it.

I did provide it. It should be the attachment on my post before yours.
I'll put it here too in case there was a problem with the other one though.
Or are the build number and the system model not sufficient?

EDIT: Okay so in case that information wasn't enough, I'll add this picture of all the text on the bottom of my laptop.
I would've thought it's enough that the model and build numbers are known but at least now you should have it all.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 03:38:13 PM by neosimultanic »