Author Topic: Since I updated I can no longer connect to my network - help?  (Read 14485 times)

REDACTED

Everything was humming along beautifully. A popup notified me of an update, so I ran it. Immediately after I could no longer connect my PC to my network (in my office). I NEVER had that problem until the update ran. I called for support (I have had the paid version for 2 years), and a tech rep politely scanned my PC and in 2 minutes informed me that "my pc had not updated Avast for 2 years (not true!), I had someone else controlling my pc , but it's "not a virus, exactly", (NOT TRUE!), I could not have any other malware or Panda on my pc (Neither was running!), and I needed a professionally trained tech to clean my pc up", for $120 one time or $180 for a year. WHAT?!?!?!
I paid for this version, I had no issues until the update, clearly the update changed some sort of internal setting not allowing me to reconfigure my network settings, and I cannot connect to my network at all. Yet I am told I would have tech support when I bought this software. NO one said I had to pay MORE. To fix an issue THEY created. And then tried to scam me into purchasing tech help. Really Avast?!?! The language used by your techie was what I heard when my wife told me "Microsoft" called and said she had a virus and they could clear it for $250!!

So now I am left with a huge problem and I am going to have to pay to clear it????

Is there anyone on this forum that can help me restore my computer to function properly with my network again??

Thank you if there is -
Rand

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Since I updated I can no longer connect to my network - help?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2016, 12:42:01 AM »
I could not have any other malware or Panda on my pc
Do you have Panda and avast installed?

Uninstalling a third-party antivirus software  >>  https://www.avast.com/faq.php?article=AVKB11#artTitle

Why Using Multiple Antivirus Programs is a Bad Idea  >>  https://blog.kaspersky.com/multiple-antivirus-programs-bad-idea/2670/
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 01:06:34 AM by Pondus »

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2016, 12:44:26 AM »
we need som diagnostic logs

See instructions here  >>  https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53253.0
Scroll down to second picture > Farbar Recovery Scan Tool < Run as instructed and attach the two diagnostic logs

See below the box you write in ... Attachments and other options

When done, Essexboy will have a look tomorrow

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2016, 04:23:31 AM »
Pondus,
Thank you for the quick and detailed reply. I will have to wait until tomorrow when I am at work to run the programs. I did read your link re: multiple anti-virus programs. Tell me, does this apply even when the Panda is on the pc but not running? Perhaps it IS running in the backround?? In any event, I get it :-) . I will delete Panda. I already have Malwarebytes loaded, so that 's good.
Thanks again for your help and getting me pointed in the right direction.
Rand

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2016, 06:13:58 AM »
Best thing about Pondus' help is that his and essexboy's help is free. 

Don't worry, you are in good hands.  Once you attach the requested logs expect an answer.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2016, 07:20:53 AM »
Yes, even having multiple av's installed can cause all kinds of not wanted issues.
For that they don't have to run (in real time).

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2016, 03:27:10 PM »
OK, I deleted Panda (through "uninstall", and then through the link I was directed to, for a thorough delete). I also had CCCleaner installed so I deleted that as well. Malwarebytes was already there, and I used that as instructed. I ran the rest of the programs as directed, see attached logs.
I will post additional logs in the next email.

Thanks for having a look at all this for me. I appreciate the work!
Rand

REDACTED

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2016, 03:29:03 PM »
Attached are the rest of the logs.  If you need anything more let me know.
Thanks!
Rand

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2016, 03:50:35 PM »
What version Avast do you have is it AIS ?

If so are your setting as in the screencap below

CAUTION :  This fix is only valid for this specific machine, using it on another may break your computer

Open notepad and copy/paste the text in the quotebox below into it:

CreateRestorePoint:
2016-05-09 08:06 - 2016-05-09 08:06 - 00000000 ____D C:\ProgramData\Panda Security
Reg: reg delete HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\IPSec\Policy\Local /f
Reg: reg add HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\IPSec\Policy\Local /f
RemoveProxy:
CMD: netsh advfirewall reset
CMD: netsh advfirewall set allprofiles state ON
CMD: ipconfig /flushdns
CMD: netsh winsock reset catalog
CMD: netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt
CMD: ipconfig /release
CMD: ipconfig /renew
CMD: netsh int ipv4 reset
CMD: netsh int ipv6 reset
EmptyTemp:
CMD: bitsadmin /reset /allusers

Save this as fixlist.txt, in the same location as FRST.exe

Run FRST and press Fix
On completion a log will be generated please post that

REDACTED

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2016, 05:59:36 PM »
Hi Esexboy,

I had an issue after the reboot. I got an error message referring to  a VPN, and it mentioned Cisco, but I cannot give you the exact language. I hope you know why that happened.

I am attaching the log as requested. I sure hope this can be resolved! Thanks for your help.

Rand

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2016, 06:46:28 PM »
Could you reboot please and let me know if the message re-appears

REDACTED

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2016, 09:18:47 PM »
It did. Here is the gist of what I am seeing:
A box is there, and across the top it says: Cisco Systems VPN Client 5.0.07.0290; inside the box it says: The setup must update files or services that cannot be updated while the system is running. If you choose to continue a reboot will be required to complete the setup.
2 buttons below : (OK) (Cancel)
I hit (OK) and it goes to another window that says: "Please wait while windows configures Cisco Systems VPN Client 5.0.07.0290"... it then stops and another box shows up, saying:"The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable. Click OK to try again, or enter an alternative path to a folder containing the installation package VPNclient_setup.msi in the box below". (A dropdown box).

I click (OK) and get this message: " The path C:\users\rand\appdata\local\temp\WZSE0.TMP\VPNclient_setup.msi cannot be found. Verify that you have access to this location and try again, or try to find the installation package VPN Client 5.0.07.0290 in  folder from which you can install the product Cisco Systems VPN client 5.0.07.0290.

I click on OK, and it goes to the previous window with the dropdown box. When I click on OK again at this window, I get another box that says: Error 1706 no valid source could be found for product Cisco System VPN client 5.0.07.0290. Windows installer cannot continue. The box then disappears, and that is the end of the procedure.

*whew* - I  think I got it all!
Rand
PS: Yes, it is the AIS version.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 09:20:22 PM by rand5 »

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2016, 10:42:46 PM »
The file it is after is here http://www.asc.edu/downloads/CiscoVPN/Windows/older_versions/vpnclient-win-msi-5.0.07.0290-k9.exe  download it to your desktop and then direct it to that when you reboot

REDACTED

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2016, 12:23:47 AM »
No joy  :(

First try, I let it download and installed it where it wanted to be (Temp file), then moved it to my desktop. It was a zipped file so I unzipped it, but never saw the unzipped files anywhere. I tried directing the install to the file but it would not do anything. So I rebooted and saved the zipped file to my desktop as you asked. Again I tried to unzip it but no luck, I don't see the files anywhere.
I tried again after another reboot, directing the file to my desktop. It is a zipped file. I unzipped it, but when I directed the program to the desktop I got this message:
The file 'C:\Users\Rand\Desktop\vpnclient_setup.msi' is not a valid installation package for the product Cisco System VPN Client 5.0.07.0290.
Try to find the installation package 'vpnclient_setup.msi' in a folder from which you can install Cisco System VPN Client 5.0.07.0290.
After I cancel, I get that same error code as previous.
I must be doing something wrong???

Rand

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2016, 12:49:03 AM »
I downloaded and un-zipped the file and as you can see the filed asked for is part of what is available after the compressed file is un-zipped:

I did get a warning from Avast that the compressed .exe was a new file and I needed to allow it to
finish downloading.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet