Author Topic: Lost avast icons in taskbar  (Read 15851 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Lost avast icons in taskbar
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2006, 01:19:03 PM »
I posted this way because, imho, it never seems to do very much on my pcs.
I agree... For me either  8)

I've use it for 11 months and my logs show only one spyware removed on each and I think those were false positives.
Me too, only false positives...

There is resident protection with it that monitors start up entries, etc.  Those can be turned on or off at the user's discretion. I suppose I'm a little off topic except I think it couldn't hurt to disable the resident part during the avast! installation.
It's not off topic, if it monitors the startups entries, then it could be a problem on avast installation (or any other installation!).
The best things in life are free.

unidyn

« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2006, 08:09:21 PM »
I posted this way because, imho, it never seems to do very much on my pcs.

I feel the same way. I have also used it since it was first introduced, and initially, it actually found much that Adawre didn't and the reviews were very promising. It was though after the first few months, it found nothing and hasn't since (maybe McAfee bought into them...that wasn't very nice :-)...). I think I'm going to let that one go. I know they say you can't have too much protection, but I'm not sure having activity/services running is all that good if it isn't effective.

http://www.softwarepatch.com/tips/cyclic-redundancy.html
I think avast installation get corrupted. Can you download a new setup file for instalation, uninstall the actual version, boot, install the new one?

That was from a fresh download off the avast site.  The program loaded fine and I got the updates from what I could tell, but no icons in the task bar. Don't you just love me?  ???  I will look into the link again you provided, do a new install as soon as I have the chance, after uninstally MS Antispyware. It does seem to give useful info when something tries to go to startup or changes priorities, but I have ZoneAlarm for that. I never had a problem running the two before (ZoneAlarm + avast). I will make sure I'm offline and ZoneAlarm is not running, as well as make sure no other security program is active when I install.

mauserme

« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2006, 08:43:16 PM »
well .....

Try saving a copy of the installation file to your desktop so its handy if you need it again.

After installing and rebooting, if there are still no icons, hit control/alt/del to get the task manager, click on the Processes tab, then click the words "Image Name" to alphabetize the list.

What processes are running that begin with "ash"?

And thank you and Tech for confirming my feelings about MS Antispyware.  I was hesitant to get rid of it at first because the reviews have been so positive.  Glad to know its not just me.

mauserme

« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2006, 11:04:28 PM »
It does seem to give useful info when something tries to go to startup or changes priorities
I was thinking about that and, in all fairness, I will say MS Antispyware's handlng of system changes was done well.  I think it used to sometimes ask if I wanted to allow a change, and sometimes it made the decision for me based, I guess, on some whitelist I've never found.

But lately I don't remember it asking anymore.  I just does what it wants.  Although it does inform me of its decision I've not found a way to over rule it.

So, for me, its back to TeaTimer with all its ugly little pop ups until I find something nicer.  I feel confident with Spybot but not so much with the other. 

Any suggestions?

mauserme

« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2006, 11:50:01 PM »
Hey - sorry to be replying to myself so much but you're not online.

Take a look at the links provided by Culpeper in the following thread:

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=18636.0

If you follow all the threads you will will get to:

http://www.tech-pro.net/howto_013.html

http://www.michna.com/kb/WxSystray.htm