Author Topic: Cannot enable Chrome support  (Read 19645 times)

REDACTED

Cannot enable Chrome support
« on: May 10, 2016, 10:19:24 AM »
Hi,
yesterday I updated my phone (Sony Z3 Compact) to Android 6.0.1. So far, everything seemed ok, until I tried a smart-scan with avast mobile security. A security risk was detected, it says that Chrome support was disabled. To fix it, ams say I have to activate the app in my accessibility settings. But when I open the settings, ams is not listed there (only TalkBack and NovaLauncher).
Can anyone tell me how to enable Chrome Support or what I'm doing wrong?

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
Re: Cannot enable Chrome support
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2016, 10:24:43 AM »
Hi,

unfortunately you have to reboot your device. Then AMS will be listed there (this is basically an Android OS fault since the available services are refreshed only during boot of the device).

Filip

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2016, 11:09:32 AM »
Thanks Filip. I already rebooted the phone several times and again just now. Unfortunately ams is still not listed. Maybe I will try to uninstall and reinstall ams later and see if anything changes. Or is there anything else I could do?

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2016, 11:31:09 AM »
Hi,

no, not really, and reinstall should definitely work (maybe it's the only way - I have a feeling I have investigated this issue before here on the forum, but can't find it and don't remember the result :().

Let me know how it went!

Filip
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 11:33:43 AM by Filip Havlicek »

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2016, 01:07:20 PM »
Just did a reinstall and now erverything is fine! :) asm is listed in accessibility settings and Chrome support enabled!
Thanks again for your help, Filip!

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2016, 02:00:30 PM »
Hi,

glad everything is working now! You're very welcome :)

Filip

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2016, 12:47:54 AM »
I have the same problem but apparently it's not possible to uninstall chrome because it's built in to the Android OS.  Any suggestions?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2016, 08:40:54 AM »
Nobody ever said to uninstall Chrome.
Uninstall AMS and install it again.
Reboot the phone.

REDACTED

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2016, 01:29:35 PM »
Reinstalling AMS worked for me. I didn't need to reboot.

Offline Ondra Cermak

• AMS
  • Avast team
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2016, 01:10:48 PM »
Just FYI, this should be fixed in version 5.3.0, just rebooting should do the trick now, no need to reinstall.

REDACTED

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2016, 08:59:03 PM »
I've Avast Mobile Security 5.3.2-12297-7178af9 running on a Samsung Galaxy Tab A SM-T550 with Android 6.0.1. The tablet is fully encrypted but not rooted. When I go into Accessibility --> Services: Avast Mobile Security and attempt to turn on Web Shield, which enables support for Chrome, I'm told in a window "Avast Mobile Security and Secure startup cannot be turned on at the same time. Secure startup will be turned off"

So I've not enabled Chrome support in Avast. I've tried to Google this and get no results to this specific issue. Is this message implying that I can't both use the encryption features of the tablet, i.e. requiring a password to boot the tablet, and Web Shield? Or am I misinterpreting what I'm reading.

Thanks for any help you can provide!
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 09:03:19 PM by Al Reaud »

Offline hermansky

• Avast team
  • Product Manager - VPNs
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2016, 12:57:01 PM »
Al Reaud,
can it be applied also for any other app that is using accessibility service? Since this service is able to read certain elements on screen, I assume it could decrease from Google's perspective security (if you grant it to some shady app). Could you try to install any other app that is using accesibility?

Offline Ondra Cermak

• AMS
  • Avast team
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2016, 04:27:32 PM »
I tried it on my S7 and it really can't be enabled both at the same time. I tried it even with Avast Passwords accessibility service and with the same results. I guess it's just a security measure, because accessibility services can do pretty much anything (like disable the Secure startup option).

Ondra

REDACTED

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2016, 02:09:43 PM »
Hi
Every day the same matter
Chrome support was disable on my phone, so I fixed it going to accessibility setting and putting on (enable) AMS; all was ok for the rest of the day, till I turned off my mobile .  When I turned on my phone in the morning, this support was disable again ! And so on…day by day
I try to uninstall and re-install AMS, reboot several times my mobile but…nothing.
Mobile: Wiko fever
Android version: 6.0
AMS version: 5.6.2-12828-1750c23
Any suggestion?

Offline Tereza V.

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2016, 10:14:50 PM »
Hi, the only solution at the moment is the device system update (if available). The app loses accessibility permission after closing or rebooting due to an Android bug.