Author Topic: Reboot Nagging  (Read 2656 times)

REDACTED

Reboot Nagging
« on: May 12, 2016, 12:26:09 AM »
Every time I have to update Avast, at the end a prompt comes up with options to postpone it for different amounts of time. I personally want to restart my computer when I want to, so I've picked 'next century' and 'next week' to delay it (haven't tried 'tomorrow'). However, the popup always comes back the same day, no matter how many times I postpone it; Haven't timed it, but it feels like ~2 hours.

It's my computer, Avast. If I have reason to wait, let me do it in piece.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Reboot Nagging
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2016, 12:42:58 AM »
I suspect that they have a sense of humour when giving options like 'next century' or 'next week' when in reality you/they want to reboot at your earliest convenience.

A reboot is required if low level drivers are to be replaced.

What I would suggest to you if those options don't fit in with your computer use, then set the Program updates to Ask when an update is available. When you are ready then you can do a manual program update.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2016, 12:58:57 AM »
I suspect that they have a sense of humour when giving options like 'next century' or 'next week' when in reality you/they want to reboot at your earliest convenience.

A reboot is required if low level drivers are to be replaced.

What I would suggest to you if those options don't fit in with your computer use, then set the Program updates to Ask when an update is available. When you are ready then you can do a manual program update.

An antivirus isn't really the place for humor, in my opinion. Thank you for the answer though, I guess I'll just have to resort to that.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2016, 01:35:24 AM »
You're welcome.

That is just my thoughts on what those two options might be, as an avast user like yourself, I don't really understand why they would put options there which aren't honoured.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2016, 05:26:22 AM »
Some new info-
Selected 'tomorrow' shortly after making this thread, just to test it. Even that comes back up in a handful of hours. Could someone from Avast answer, is basically lying to your users intended function?