Author Topic: Symantec provides hiding place for hackers  (Read 4230 times)

CharleyO

Symantec provides hiding place for hackers
« on: January 12, 2006, 06:13:34 PM »

Yep, Symantic is using something like a rootkit! Read about it here:

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-6026203.html?tag=nl.e589    >:(

Lower and lower they sink ......

Offline YLAP

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: Symantec provides hiding place for hackers
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2006, 06:43:20 PM »
Maybe I can't understant something, but it seems they just repaired one security hole in their software, nothing more. Maybe I'm wrong.... But I know one thing for sure - Norton products aren't the best solution available, it's just old name. And lot of users still pay for name only.  ;)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2006, 07:35:42 PM »
I think this is more down to the author's poor choice of an example which is nothing like the security issue Symantec was closing.
Symantec's alert has echoes of Sony BMG Music Entertainment's recent PC security fiasco. The record label was found to be shipping copy-protected compact discs that planted so-called rootkit software on the computers that played them. The rootkit technology also offered a hiding place for malicious software.

A hidden folder is no where close to having a rootkit program to stealth files.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

..::ReVaN::..

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2006, 11:59:10 PM »
I agree with David there, a poor example there with the rootkit.A hidden folder and a rootkit are two different things.

Ylap my friend if you can tell me of a better and more reliable way to make backups other than with Norton Ghost i would be happy to hear it.... ;)

regards,

Mikey

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2006, 12:11:31 AM »
rootkit or 'rootkit'? Rootkit or 'rootkit-style'?

Symantec has updated its popular Norton SystemWorks security suite this week following the discovery of a security bug that creates a possible means for hackers to hide computer viruses on infected systems. A design error in SystemWorks means files within the NProtect directory of the Norton Protected Recycle Bin are hidden from Windows APIs.

Either way, some reports say malware writers can use it to hide malware:

Because of this client-based virus scanning software might be unable to spot malicious or virus-infected files placed in the directory.
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2006, 02:59:30 AM »
I agree with David there, a poor example there with the rootkit.A hidden folder and a rootkit are two different things.

Ylap my friend if you can tell me of a better and more reliable way to make backups other than with Norton Ghost i would be happy to hear it.... ;)

regards,

Mikey

Exactly, not all Symantec products are bad. Ghost is most reliable backing-up utility ever made. Everyone can say whatever they want, Ghost never ever gave any single problem and I do my backups on regular basis... every single Friday, 5 PM, and I always keep my last 3 backups for months (just in case).

Seriously, I've tried many other things, but Ghost sticked in here like a glue.

Another good thing is Symantec antivirus for example... of course no one will say anything nice about it in here, although it's not one of the best, but still it's much better than Norton antivirus (also by Symantec).
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Staind

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2006, 04:28:01 AM »
Symantec antivirus I think is just a graphically reduced version of Norton antivirus.