Author Topic: The AAVM subsystem detected an RPC error  (Read 3830 times)

chui

The AAVM subsystem detected an RPC error
« on: December 02, 2003, 09:43:38 PM »
I've installed the Avast! 4 Home ed and the taskbar icon has a red slash inside a circle sign on the icon.  When I double click On-Access Protection Control, it shows this error:  The AAVM subsystem detected an RPC error.  When I hover on the icon, the tooltip message shows 0 provider (total), 0 running.  

Does it mean it is not running?  I discovered that the resident protection is always disabled even after I put it into Standard or High.  I checked my services (local) console in Administrator;s tool and saw one of my two RPCs disabled, so I enabled both but still the same error with AAVM.  

Please help.  Am running XP home.   -chui

Culpeper

Re:The AAVM subsystem detected an RPC error
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2003, 02:29:29 AM »
Have you tried to uninstall and then reinstall Avast?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2003, 02:51:38 AM »
Could you refer to this post or this one

There I tryed to make a compilation of RPC troubles & solutions  ;)

The RPC error is generally related to avast! installation (as Culpeper said), firewall and proxy troubles and some incompatibilities with other antivirus programs (e.g., AVG 6.0). This post relates troubles with more than one RPC service...

As you know, RPC (Remote Procedure Call) is a Windows Service and must be running...

The best things in life are free.

chui

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2003, 12:58:35 PM »
I removed & reinstalled Avast which is now working. :D  I checked my adm tool/services and see two Avast services running automatically.  RPC services have 2 running, but only one is running automatically, the locator starts manually.  But I noticed at times after I finished downloading/ installing Win Updates, the Avast icon has the red stop circle sign; and it's back to normal when I reboot.

Thanks, I'm glad this has been resolved at least for now.