Author Topic: Hi new user  (Read 3647 times)

theviper

Hi new user
« on: January 14, 2006, 02:40:20 PM »
I`m a new user of Avast Home Edition , Ive been using Kaspersky which is awesome but I`m sick of purchasing subscriptions every year.

I feel that a cautious user of the Internet  whom which cleans scans and stays off predominantly bad web site lol , will stay virus/trojan free.

With that said I tried AVG and it seemed very lame poor UI and childish pop up alert window with the Burglar orc thing:(

I then tried Bitdefender had no advanced info , no areas to which to tweak and or monitor . Basically like the zoneAlarm of AV I guess. Also bitdefender didn`t even popup on know web based trojans that try to install themselves even AVG did that.

I need more advanced user control.

So then I figured I would try Avast and I like the options many different levels of tweakking ability and monitoring options, aswell as auto updates etc.

I really like the Screensaver scan mode I think this is awesome whereas most the time I'm using my pc well Im using it cant scan then , I like it decides to scan automatically when it sees I'm not using it .

So far I'm very impressed about Avast Ive registered a license for all 4 of my pcs in this house and joined this forum to learn more and possibly help.

:o

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Hi new user
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2006, 03:02:22 PM »
Welcome to the forums and the avast family.

You have found the reason/s why many of us are with avast.

There are a number of sticky threads at the top of the various forums that contain very useful information to help you get the most out of avast. Keep monitoring the forums. I'm sure you will learn much more and we would welcome the help.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Zagor

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2006, 03:37:14 PM »
Well, my favorite was Bit Defender for a long time, but since I discovered avast Pro I found out what it means to have the control over the security options!!

theviper, welcome to the forums!  ;)

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2006, 04:11:30 PM »
Hi theviper,

Welcome to the forum. Yes I agree with you that sensible surfing is one of the major things, the biggest hole is sitting in front of the main HID (human interface device = keyboard). Always use a layered defense, so 1 resident AV solution (various non-resident & online scanning ClamWin, Bitdefender), a good anti-spyware/ad/scumware solution: Ad-Aware, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared, Ewido, a good software Firewall (one resident), if with one IP address (behind a good firewalling router), use updated software, use in-browser security (NoScript, Adblocking solution, hyperlink pre-scanning DrWeb so you can know the site or folders are clean before you click through), and if you are a power user and against code injection or one-offs a good System Monitor like System Safety Monitor, and a script blocking and a Reg cleaner. In that case you can feel a lot safer,

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

hlecter

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2006, 04:33:48 PM »
Hi polonus!

Havent you missd ONE very important utility?? 

JUST KIDDING   ;D

HL

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2006, 05:20:50 PM »
I need more advanced user control.
You've found our secret  ;D

So then I figured I would try Avast and I like the options many different levels of tweakking ability and monitoring options, aswell as auto updates etc.
Click 'Settings' in my signature and you'll find almost 100 avast tweaks  ;)

So far I'm very impressed about Avast Ive registered a license for all 4 of my pcs in this house and joined this forum to learn more and possibly help.
Welcome abord  :)
The best things in life are free.