Author Topic: feature request _ limit the number of running apps  (Read 3317 times)

REDACTED

feature request _ limit the number of running apps
« on: May 13, 2016, 04:49:28 PM »
Hello Everyone ;

First off, I would like the developers for they're continues efforts to make this product a great one.

I'm coming to android  from BlackBerry OS10 device and I'm missing a great features that I used to have with BBOS10 and that is automatic app close after reaching specific number of apps running in the background. 

So if I have 8 apps running in the background,  any new app I open. It will automatically look at the list of running apps and determine which app from the 8 apps running was the oddest which is most likely no longer required to be open and close it.

This way we can limit the number of running apps in the background and save battery life. 

Offline Jesse, Mobile Product Manager

• Avast team
Re: feature request _ limit the number of running apps
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2016, 01:40:27 PM »
Hi Adam, thanks for the compliment and your feedback.

We are able to kill tasks automatically to free up some RAM, but they usually start themselves right back up and continue running in the background.

Android doesn't provide an API for app stopping, so you have to be looking at the app while behind the screen we "manually" open app settings and tap "Force Stop" for you. If we didn't display this "app stopping progress" overlay screen, you would see your Android settings opening and closing. We wouldn't want to start this process automatically and interrupt what you're doing. We also can't perform this process while your screen is off.

I don't think we'd add much value by killing tasks automatically for you, and it's not possible to stop apps in the background. You'll just need to tap the permanent notification when the count gets high and tap Stop Apps.

I hope that helps.