Author Topic: Email scanner needed?  (Read 3790 times)

TacoBellSteve

Email scanner needed?
« on: January 13, 2006, 03:17:08 PM »
I've got a feeling the question I am about to ask has been discussed quite frequently before.  If so, a hyperlink that covers this subject would be fine too. 

Basically, I'm wondering if it's really necessary to use anti-virus email scanning?  I've been reading about this subject in various newsgroups, and the consensus seems to be that email scanning is a waste of system resources and not needed.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Email scanner needed?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2006, 04:29:55 PM »
I'm afraid the various newsgroups' consensus is flawed. You can't simply state that ALL email scanning is a waste of time, there are too many differences to make such a sweeping statement. avast's email scanner is easy on resources.

Email is still the biggest method of infection. avast's email scanner uses a localhost proxy to scan the email before it lands in your inbox. So if it is infected it warns you and you can delete it so it never gets into your inbox. This has a two fold benefit, one it doesn't get established making it more difficult to remove and two, you are less likely to have your inbox deleted if you scan for virus infection after receipt of email.

Many AVs can't extract an infected email from a mailbox file (a collection of emails for that email folder), so it deletes the complete file.

So no I don't think they and especially avast's email scanner are a waste of time or resources. And much less painful dealing with an infected system or a deleted mailbox.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

CharleyO

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2006, 06:05:55 PM »

Without email scanning, most people's computers would be infected in less than 24 hours by some type of malware, virus, trojan, etc.    :(

Really now, as David said, we all know that email is the most used way to spread these malicious programs.

Who's running these newsgroups you have been reading?    ???

Zagor

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2006, 08:23:20 PM »
I fully agree that extra layers of protection are needed. There is no substitute for E-mail scanning. I proved it many times when downloading inefected messages. Of course that standard shield will assist if mail slips the mail scanner, but there are extra problems with erasing whole message folders, like David said.

Extra pain on resources?! Does 2-3 MB of active memory sound like extra pain on resources? I think that AV comanies would be first to dump the module that causes extra pain on resources. A small price to pay for protection today!  :D

I feel a lot safer, which should be the point, right?

Anyway, not specifically related: a place where you can test the quality of your mail protection.

http://www.gfi.com/emailsecuritytest/

don1p2

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2006, 09:27:33 PM »
Extra pain on resources?! Does 2-3 MB of active memory sound like extra pain on resources? I think that AV comanies would be first to dump the module that causes extra pain on resources. A small price to pay for protection today!  :D

Well Zagor you beat me to it.  I was just about to tell Taco Steve to bring up Task Manager and see how amazing little memory ashMaiSv.exe uses while running in the background.

Heck I used to use McAfee....the memory use of there useless and redundant Security Center (can you say advertisment) was more than twice that.

I had to laugh the other day at a certain website.  Some guy was talking about how "light" AVG was and he showed a screenshot of his task manager to prove it.  So I brought up mine and almost fell over laughing!

Maybe I should "screenshot" my Task Manager using avast! with his page using AVG  and mail it to him!!!  Maybe that would shut him up.

So Taco Steve.....  2mb is a very very small price to pay for increased security.

Zagor

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2006, 09:40:03 PM »
Well Zagor you beat me to it.

Sorry  :) ;)

Maybe I should "screenshot" my Task Manager using avast! with his page using AVG  and mail it to him!!!  Maybe that would shut him up.

For everyone to see, behold the glory that is :)

TacoBellSteve

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2006, 10:51:41 PM »
<<Who's running these newsgroups you have been reading?>>

I believe they are unmoderated.  This subject was first brought to my attention in alt.comp.anti-virus and occasionally in alt.privacy.spyware.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2006, 11:09:50 PM »
Hi don1p2,

Can you please resize your image or select another.
We try to keep avatars around 100X100 pixles, so those with low resolution monitors or systems don't have to scroll to see the text.

Thanks
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security